Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

Jim

Thought of you today as we passed a 4 loco set of 66s moving around in Donny...two were GBRf, another was Biffa.. but that was it as our Azuma bounced into Donny

Baz

Edited by Barry O

This was your Rush job passing Rotherham. We were noodling about looking at the tram-trains and I looked on RTT to see what was passing, so we nipped up past Booths scrapyard. Only a phone for the photo and should have been the other side of the bridge if I'd realised what it would be:

967699608_RushRail.jpg.a77efffe16d411da7300bff56d269010.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

This was your Rush job passing Rotherham....

...And Stenson...ta for the tone for the gallery!

GB NewB

Fashionable

Meeting 4E94 was another Stenson classic switch, where the 'modal wanted the Castle Donnington line and you wanted the Uttoxeter line, so each was held until the other had cleared. The intermodal was let go as soon as you’d cleared the junction, hence the very short time between you passing under the bridge and the 'modal passing the other way.

Jack.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Only took one pic last night, first bit of the job was cancelled, 2nd bit was the RHTT from rugby to bescot

4AC457D8-DD0D-4289-B86E-7E8005CF2636.jpg

then I did a possession from bescot to adderley Park, pathed through new st but unfortunately I didn’t stop to grab a pic!

couple of days off then 4 days of the Trafford park job next week 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, big jim said:

back in tomorrow to take it back to Basford hall 

If you can!

Hopefully the water will have gone down or an ‘interesting’ route is still available.

Do you sign Middlewich?

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2019 at 23:31, big jim said:

i take it the line is shut at calverley?

yes i can go via middlewich if needs be

Ah Calverley. Better not say too much about Lance the Lamp Man, the Purity Police will block it.

Was up there with the lineman 'Coddy' Turner in the summer of 1968. We had a big thunderstorm the day I was back off holiday. Got stuck with floods trying to get to Crewe and missed him at the depot. Got the bus to Nantwich to catch up with him on a barrier fault at Shrewbridge and had to wade to the station.

There was a lightning strike at Beeston Castle so went to fix that. We headed back to Calverley to restore Block Working . Got stuck in a flood and towed out by the farmer. Drove round to Worleston. Control had sent a Class 24 to check the line because of reports of flooding. PWay gang were rescuing fish from the cess with a bucket. We set off on the 24 to look for a possible line wire problem but soon found water over the rails. Climbed down and the water in the cess was up to the top of my waders so we changed ends via the six-foot and returned gingerly wrong line to Worleston.

Happy days on the old railway!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2019 at 23:31, big jim said:

i take it the line is shut at calverley?

yes i can go via middlewich if needs be

I understand it was Wardle.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, got through in the end but had to pass 2 signals at danger just outside chester

In tonight with a short trip from landor st to Toton with a Stone train, should have been from shrewsbury but the marches line is closed so it’s going via the lickey 

just one pic from Earlier tonight, got a new(er) iPhone yesterday which supposedly has a better camera, we’ll see when I use it properly at night!

037765C1-C075-4D9A-9E62-171CE84C2A62.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I followed you all the way from Stechford to Rugby I thought it was you when it was heading back North from platform 6. 

It was a tad slippy when I was right behind you as my sanders and WSP light was on most of the time. 

Cheers 

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 1