Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I’m 09:30ish back into derby, got 37099 tonight

Luverly, the tour is 09:50 off Derby Station so you never know. I’ll probably be on the platform or on the road bridge to the north...I’ll wave in any case!

Jack.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2019 at 16:39, big jim said:

Yeah, certainly got to some strange places last week!

some from this morning, had a few hours to spare at bescot so gave 66775 a wash, scrubbed it with truck wash then jet washed it off

before

72289704-0439-4EC2-98F6-7AE9759E4E5F.jpg

Hi Jim

I noticed that the TOPS number had been cleaned above.

Last Saturday the Biffa liveried 66783 was on rear of the Stowmarket RHTT run on the GEML and was typically filthy. Someone had similarly cleaned just the TOPS number on the side, despite being considerably larger than above and visible through the muck (couldn't get a photo as it was off in the distance and no camera!)

Is there a requirement to keep TOPS numbers clean/visible? Something for those doing weathering to consider.

Tony

Edited by ruggedpeak
typos
  • Like 2

Great record of the lines you covered in my old neck of the woods Jim, the Croston/Rufford Line especially. Have you heard of the plans to reinstate the Burscough Curve to allow trains to run to Southport from Preston? It'd be interesting if it came off.

It was nice to see you today in Derby, apologies as I was on the wrong platform to speak to you. Ta for the wave:

IMG_2982PS.jpg.eb6983fbd1b65b01e6232692ce474330.jpg

Jack.

• Like 13

On 30/11/2019 at 10:29, ruggedpeak said:

Is there a requirement to keep TOPS numbers clean/visible? Something for those doing weathering to consider.

Hi,

I believe there is, to prove that the loco is properly registered on the network etc.

It’s the same reason why the 66s that come over from the continent have a piece of paper in the windscreen with its TOPS number on it.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

All vehicles must display their TOPS registered number in the cab but I don't believe it has to be visible externally. Steam and preserved diesels for example display their number in the cab, but have no need to display the same number externally

Jo

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 10:29, ruggedpeak said:

Last Saturday the Biffa liveried 66783 was on rear of the Stowmarket RHTT run on the GEML and was typically filthy.

Biffa was not on the Stow RHTT, it was on 3S70 which is Broxbourne to Broxbourne which got as far as Witham on the GEML to cover for 3S60 which was unable to get South of Colchester due to engineering work.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Just one from last night, Nuneaton to Trafford park and back with 66740, first time I’ve driven that one as it’s my wife’s namesake ‘Sarah’ 

7E8A93E9-1DE8-4BF6-8C72-BA20E61D47D4.jpg

same again tonight but back to Coventry with it via the west mids due to an emergency possession around colwich 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from last night, bit of a cock up as they held me at crewe thinking I was waiting for the possession to be lifted and would be going the booked route from Stafford, left there 40 mins late and went the normal way but my relief was as planned at Coventry so I had to work it through to there, ended up getting home at 9am instead of 6:30!

trafford park

4B4ABDE2-A1B6-4B2E-BD8F-7CA2795F594F.jpg

Coventry 

4EB1FC18-E758-4866-9923-F7F724C06790.jpg

and back in crewe this morning a 331 unit

E8246226-227E-422E-9BD2-D95939FF1578.jpg

going into Manchester tonight on the train to the theatre then I’ve got a class 47 and translator move in the early hours of the morning from rugby to Preston 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just one from last night, trafford park again, 66740 again, this time back in nuneaton

DCFD082D-CB7A-431C-895E-539B33DAD28B.jpg

possession tomorrow at little Kimble then I thought I was off until the 28th but they accidentally put me down for a few RDW next week on a couple of MOD trains and another chiltern line possession

also got my jobs for lined up for Christmas and boxing days 

• Like 15

7 hours ago, big jim said:

DCFD082D-CB7A-431C-895E-539B33DAD28B.jpg

possession tomorrow at little Kimble..... 

It's been a few years since I was in little kimble but there was a fantastic Indian restaurant and takeaway just up from the underline bridge on the Aylesbury road, about 8 minutes walk from the station if you get bored and hungry and can nip off site for 10mins.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

It's been a few years since I was in little kimble but there was a fantastic Indian restaurant and takeaway just up from the underline bridge on the Aylesbury road, about 8 minutes walk from the station if you get bored and hungry and can nip off site for 10mins.

Gone, as have several ex-pub/restaurants. Now houses there.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think i missed this, but How long has GBRF had a 47 ?

a quick google would suggest they have had them 2 years this month although they have only been repainted in the last 6 months or so

just 3 pics from tonight, bescot to little Kimble via Ruislip to change ends 

west ruislip

93482173-17D7-4279-8155-FC15FC85C9CB.jpg

Then due to a scheduling mess up it was realised that I had been pathed in front of the final passenger service of the evening to Aylesbury so I had to pull into the down platform at risborough to allow it to pass me and head onto the single line to Aylesbury, I then had to head north out of the station then set back with my ground staff in the rear cab on back to back radios to access the single line myself!

75B00D39-6720-43CE-B85B-113C8FD83CC8.jpg

and into little Kimble, only 20 mins late, I then moved off towards Aylesbury where I shut the train down near marsh lane crossing and headed home 

B3C34807-2E97-4A65-844F-869872F8B16C.jpg

back in Monday morning to bring it back to bescot 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1