Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, big jim said:

I remember when I was at DRS @charliepetty kept asking me at exhibitions if I knew what was happening to them as he said they could be used to provide power to ex woodhead electrics instead of using the overheads?

Ive heard the group behind E27000 several times investigate powering it up by other means, first time I heard it was back in the 1990’s, though realistically it could only work on the mainline (lack of run round / needing to turn it + Van connected).

Interesting thought, though not cheap and i’d imagine a ton of certification, would look odd running with pantographs down, unless of course they isolated them, power somewhere similar to a class 37.

I wish i’d seen 1501 in Holland working (saw it several times between Dordrecht and Rotterdam stored in the yard). As a kid I got a claim to fame of driving a 76... 76039 in the MOSI with a TV screen simulator, though I have memories of grounded bodies at Reddish, and seeing the last of them running before closure. Ive a picture somewhere sat in E26020 at Dinting circa 1980.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, coleshill to Doncaster iPort, nothing about so got a run at it, arrived amp hour early and no containers to unload so back mega early!

Working it back again on Monday 

81A3DFA8-E78C-4D65-B01B-35380A9FDF4D.jpg

Doncaster decoy

2B5D11A7-EF38-4033-93A8-839E79D9272B.jpg

And parked up in the RMT bay with a line of 91s 

98CB7D06-A336-4D1F-B782-196235523BF9.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2020 at 22:51, adb968008 said:

Surprised they've not made their way into railtour rakes, though after 25 years i’d be impressed if they were any use at all.

On 14/05/2020 at 22:58, newbryford said:

Just search for 96372 96373 or 96375 for Long Marston pics.

They are quite "weather-beaten" to say the least. I saw them in 2018 and they would make an interesting weathering project.

They're probably a bit overpowered for the average railtour rake as they were designed for the high hotel power ETS loads of Nighstar coaches.

Apologies for the O/T Jim!

As they were designed to work with the ENS stock I doubt they'd be much use for anything else without modification because, as Mick has said, they were intended to produce quite a high power output.  And of course there are no locos around or left with the necessary to work with them as I'm sure all of teh relevant bits of the Eurostar Class 37s have long since been removed.

Eurostar couldn't find anybody to take them off their hands for a decent price when they were declared redundant and I hadn't been able to find any sort of hire market for them prior to that.  Hiring out Class 37s and matchwagons wasn't too difficult and I made quite a good income for Eurostar with hire business (not so much for the match wagons of course but I could charge more or less what I liked for them without gping stupid).  By the way as it happened they couldn't meet the maximum power demand of a even the short ENS sets under some operational conditions particularly fairly high and low outdoor ambient temperatures so the load shedding would have kicked into life at various times especially if all the showers were run at once.  jUst one of the various technical flaws on the ENS sets.

Incidentally if the ENS service to Amsterdam had come about the loco booked to head the first train to Amsterdam within Holland was lined up to be the preserved NS1501 ex E27003.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Doesn’t seem to be, it was a bit slow uploading yesterday but I can see all the pics ok 

edit: see what you mean having gone back a page,  yes I think there must be something up with it again!

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, big jim said:

Just one from yesterday, bit of an odd looking shot with the lamp in the middle but an unusual view of landor st jn, (taken safely from the walking route behind a protective barrier) 

freightliner 66 waiting to crossover into lawley st, HST heading to derby and voyager heading to new st!

FB030046-0308-4567-9D93-E2A3CB9BCF2C.jpg

That’s a brilliant shot. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

The first question could have a one line answer or a 10 page answer! 

easiest way of putting it, you can’t get the brake to pump up without putting the correct info into the computer!

as for the 2nd bit, not a clue what your in about, what context have you heard the phrase?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can honestly say “not a clue” 

You do I put individual data specific to the train but it’s in code form, ie there is a code for light engine 97, a code for loco hauled Trains, a code for 158 units etc

the down side is the loco hauled code for example assumes you have 12 coaches behind you and adjusts the brake curve accordingly so if you have 4 coaches it will force you to brake earlier thinking you have 12 coaches behind, similarly coming off speed restrictions the system counts the invisible coaches before it lets you speed back up 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

22 hours ago, big jim said:

I can honestly say “not a clue” 

You do I put individual data specific to the train but it’s in code form, ie there is a code for light engine 97, a code for loco hauled Trains, a code for 158 units etc

the down side is the loco hauled code for example assumes you have 12 coaches behind you and adjusts the brake curve accordingly so if you have 4 coaches it will force you to brake earlier thinking you have 12 coaches behind, similarly coming off speed restrictions the system counts the invisible coaches before it lets you speed back up 

When setting up the train there will be a number of profiles to choose from. The profile chosen will define the train length and elements of the braking curve.

Unfortunately there can't be an unlimited choice of profiles, particularly for loco hauled stock, but surprised that you 'only' have the choice of loco+12 and there isn't at least one shorter formation available. Possibly more suited for fixed length rakes, such as multiple units.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

When setting up the train there will be a number of profiles to choose from. The profile chosen will define the train length and elements of the braking curve.

Unfortunately there can't be an unlimited choice of profiles, particularly for loco hauled stock, but surprised that you 'only' have the choice of loco+12 and there isn't at least one shorter formation available. Possibly more suited for fixed length rakes, such as multiple units.

it has been addressed on numerous occasions and it’s a software tweak to add the extra options but like most things railway related, no one wants to do it or be responsible for it, the reason given being it’s a still effectively a test system that is working as it should so why mess with it

if you are just dragging say a single tamper then you put in a light engine code, I suppose you could put in a light engine code for a 3 or 4 coach IM train but you would have to be very on the ball with the brake to not be caught out by the ‘hook’ 

I believe the unit version does give you the option of number of coaches to give you a different brake curve, pretty much the same as (chiltern) ATP which gives adjusts the brake curve and if you have an isolated vehicle a slower top speed 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, big jim said:

and a pair of 47s heading back to Leicester from derby

97B6AE28-1158-4441-B9DA-0133EDD63BD3.jpg

Great shots Jim, we’ve had some belting weather recently! You scared me for a minute...thought I’d missed seeing shiny 812 if it had been to Derby but I’m pretty sure they went back to Leicester from Ely yesterday.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had calls like that.  One morning I was in the land of nod on my rest day and the phone rings.. .

’Colin, Tim has called in sick, any chance of you working today?’ 

‘Can do’

’Can you get in for 0730?’

’What time is it now?’

’Ten past seven’.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2