Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Each bridge is assessed by the structures engineeers and based on the type and construction, a risk assessment is done on the potential damage any bridge bash will inflict and what effect that has on the safety of running trains over that bridge. There are four catgories: Red, Amber, Double Amber and Green

Below is the simplified version. As I'm sure you can appreciate the rules are a little more complex than this and a lot depends on many factors before you even start to take into account the bridge classification with regards to what action to take with anything other than a red category bridge

Red: - All rail traffic stopped until an inspection is carried out

Amber: - A train driver can be asked to check the track alignment at the bridge and if all looks OK then trains can run at reduced speed over the bridge until it  is examined

Double Amber:- As amber but trains can then run at linespeed. These tend to be the more solid structures.

Green: - Carry on as if nothing happened.

There aren't any green bridges that I know about.

Andy

There are certainly not many Green bridges, but two I know about (thanks to regular involvement !) in Scotland are Cook St outside Glasgow Central (next to the former Glasgow Central Signalling Centre) and UB 59 on the A737 at Dalry (now bypassed). Some bridges get struck so often that Controllers and Signallers know the dispensation without checking (although we still do as it can be amended).

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Only one from this morning, 66753 in banbury on the trafford park to Southampton train, got it again tomorrow but taking it as far as didcot instead 

A6EBD88B-C1EE-4A6B-8FF3-D9F52D480EDB.jpg

I wonder why the south end Up side bay was done away with in favour of the new short through platform further north (which I have only seen used for Marylebone/Banbury terminators !) ?

25 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I wonder why the south end Up side bay was done away with in favour of the new short through platform further north (which I have only seen used for Marylebone/Banbury terminators !) ?

The new shorter platform will  / can be extended to a longer platform, but at the moement still functions as the old platform did but is now avalable to be used from both north and south.

Why it couldn't be installed full length at the time of resignalling is a mystery.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Why it couldn't be installed full length at the time of resignalling is a mystery.

£££££ when it wasn’t actually required to run the service.

The bay track bed had to be kept clear so that the platform could be extended easily should traffic demands require it in future.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I should have travelled down to Oxford at least three times since March, including last week for my Mum's 90th Birthday, but at least it's nice to be reminded of the place ! As a matter of interest big jim, would you know how busy are the XC services on the Birmingham/Reading route ?

• RMweb Gold

The trains have been 8 coaches and are thankfully still really quiet, saying that I’ve been sitting in 1st class to ‘self isolate’ but standard is practically empty too

be interesting to see what happens next Monday when shops are allowed to reopen etc 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/05/2020 at 17:34, big jim said:

750 has the coolest sounding horn of all 66s I’ve driven!

1 hour ago, big jim said:

No pics today but a heads up for a working tomorrow, longport to Doncaster, 66750 hauling 66790 and 66791 

(I’ve got it longport to derby) 

Seeing as though it's in the afternoon, I've got no excuse this time! You'll have to show me (and everyone via video) the horn...I'll be somewhere around North Stafford/Stenson (thinking the foot crossing before North Stafford)...see you tomorrow hopefully!

Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Seeing as though it's in the afternoon, I've got no excuse this time! You'll have to show me (and everyone via video) the horn.

Cue a video only suitable for adults.................................

• Funny 9

55 minutes ago, big jim said:

Some from today, longport to derby with 66750, 66790 and 66791

AF45C6DE-743B-440D-98DB-3CE46BCF7570.jpg

Great shot Jim, and thanks for the tones at Willington...

IMG_1627PS.jpg.9281dde6842e6e6eaf887c785bf65b8d.jpg

IMG_1629PS.jpg.6f312345f5f7b74c92e079ca8ec1b4d5.jpg

Sub-standard pics I'm afraid as there were two other photographers who took the whole crossing and weren't the friendliest, meaning I had to use the pole from the field and my girlfriend went the other side and videoed, so you probably didn't see us. Moral is pick a more obscure (thought this would be!) and more visible place! Stenson bridge had quite a gallery apparently...

As ever thanks for the heads up and the photos each day! :good:

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I did see you and your girlfriend, good video, horn sounded good eh? 

There is a "selective editing" quote in there.

But I won't.........................

:jester:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great pictures as always Jim! I presume by looking at those two, that 791 will be staying in Beacon Rail livery, while 790 may be awaiting a date with the Eastleigh paint shop judging by the patches of primer on it. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

There is a "selective editing" quote in there.

But I won't.........................

:jester:

That would explain the slow-down of updates to his workbench thread.....

Cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, first up rugby to bescot 

59EC2A61-6DCE-403E-8239-66C0FC6DF56A.jpg

Avanti Pendolino passing through 

67496291-06B9-405E-9CAE-0C28B7A92555.jpg

And into bescot 

2E99CF7D-E168-4922-85E3-42B41B1B91AE.jpg

then it was taxi to landor st to pick up the train I worked there last night on its return journey (minus the back loco) 

F830F5DE-6CDB-42AF-882C-B06CC1971C93.jpg

few days off now before the Trafford park job again 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I’ve thrown it now but the mask had a metal nose clip type thing that was pre bent so that way seemed like the only way to wear it, I think it was totally white to be honest

goes to show no matter how much government advice they give out you can’t allow for stupidity!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, big jim said:

another trip to longport tomorrow with some wagons! 

Great insight and pics as usual Jim...might see you near Milford Tunnel tomorrow or failing that somewhere near Stenson.

Jack.