Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

16 hours ago, big jim said:

I’m not getting on Until Tamworth on the way to longport, on the way back we may come via uttoxeter on the same path as last weeks loco move

Ta for that Jim, changed plan and went to Whitacre where the big multicolour brolly was needed:

IMG_2446PS.jpg.f8a31c0a1dd5cdd1f916cca768d6bc9a.jpg

Ta for the tone!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, big jim said:

Yes It was a trial, hopefully it will lead to a new flow though 

Apparently it's going to be one return trip per week for the next 12 months using ex DB HTAs and GBOB buckeye 66s.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

See, even the spotters know more than me!

only one from today, amazing what you see on the taxi ride home!

E5EE872A_A33E_44C0_9BB9_12D8E9D90C09_Ful

im wondering if this is a chiltern Hybrid unit coming or going from derby Loram as it was parked just off the M42 near tamworth 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2020 at 07:53, big jim said:

Some from last night, trafford park job

Was that you I saw trundle past Landor St on Thursday night, or were my eyes playing  tricks on me?

Andy

On 27/06/2020 at 06:36, big jim said:

See, even the spotters know more than me!

only one from today, amazing what you see on the taxi ride home!

E5EE872A_A33E_44C0_9BB9_12D8E9D90C09_Ful

im wondering if this is a chiltern Hybrid unit coming or going from derby Loram as it was parked just off the M42 near tamworth 

Half of 165027 and half of 165029, were moved Aylesbury to Burton earlier in the week and are on their way to Chrysalis Rail at Long Marston for drag box repairs.

Why didn't they go by rail you ask? 165/0's aren't permitted over the cotswold line and Nemesis was the nearest place to the Chiltern Network that Angel Trains could get them road moved from. 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

27 minutes ago, big jim said:

That’s mad that 165/0 aren’t allowed along the cotswold line when the GW version used to regularly work to Worcester and Hereford! 

Believe the Chiltern ones are different obviously having the tripcocks but i know when i used to live at Wellesbourne they would road the GW ones into Long Marston for their ride height changes, only the GW 165/1s can go up the cotswolds. 

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Believe the Chiltern ones are different obviously having the tripcocks but i know when i used to live at Wellesbourne they would road the GW ones into Long Marston for their ride height changes, only the GW 165/1s can go up the cotswolds. 

Chiltern 165s are geared for 75mph whereas the GW ones are geared for 90mph. 

The Ride Height Modification to the GW Turbos are carried out at St Philips Marsh. The Turbos were at Long Marston for various mods (Air Con for example) by Angel Trains and mainly moved up there by rail. 

At one point we had Turbos away at SPM, Long Marston & Wolverton for various mod programmes. I think there were a couple of road moves between those locations direct, instead of coming back to Reading first.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, big jim said:

I stopped at Buckley to video the train passing through the station having just shunted out of the cement terminal yard

66709 leading which is a new 66 for me to drive,

Gutted I missed this. I live in Buckley but I'm on an assignment down in Swansea just now.  Only ever seen 709 from afar, as I flew down the M6 and saw it sitting at Bescot.