Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Small world 66775 was around my neck of the woods earlier this week...

66775 seen here on tuesday at Wimbledon delivering 701004, in miserable weather..

(picture credits to my 9 year old, I operated the video camera).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Small world 66775 was around my neck of the woods earlier this week...

66775 seen here at Wimbledon delivering 701004, in miserable weather..

(picture credits to my 9 year old, I operated the video camera).

Taken from the Gap Road bridge I assume!

On 02/07/2020 at 21:21, big jim said:

iPort tomorrow 

Thanks for the heads up Jim...I only saw it after 10am on Friday and you were at Clay Mills when I checked so I had to rush out but made it nonetheless:

0BA1DDF5-D899-451A-8AFB-41BA3D9C4BB8.jpeg.a23154585943d0c8dc303bb9620e083d.jpeg

Ta for the tones!

14 hours ago, big jim said:

a bit of variety the rest of the week including Leamington to crewe, landor to toton and IM on the Mersey rail to Ormskirk and Kirkby (Which seems to have come round quickly since the last time I did it!)

I take it Landor to Toton is 6D44...which day? If the IM is on Friday I might be able to see you around Ormskirk!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 9

Your route knowledge is a Controller's dream big jim ! Something of a contrast to Drivers who sign only for the Up and Down main lines and won't even take the route for a loop running parallel to the main for its entire length (yes, that has happened !). Really enjoying your photos of today's rail scene, thanks.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was lead driver with another company I had drivers who signed places And had them on their route card but then when asked to do a shunt told the signaller they didn’t sign the shunt moves for those area and only the mainline!

similarly with another company, drivers only signed the route in one direction! 

ive been with gb for coming up to 2 years now so a fair bit of my historic route card needs reviewing or I will lose it, difficult at the moment with Covid as I can’t get in passenger train cabs to refresh it, we can do it with official videos though, I’m hoping not to lose too much but the likes of the Cambrian and Holyhead are likely to lapse as there is no need to go to either (at the moment!) 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Wow - nearly 2 years. If asked, I wouldn't have said it was that long. Time certainly does fly! 

BTW, many thanks for continuing to share your photos and experiences Jim, very enlightening. 

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, big jim said:

ive been with gb for coming up to 2 years now so a fair bit of my historic route card needs reviewing or I will lose it, difficult at the moment with Covid as I can’t get in passenger train cabs to refresh it, we can do it with official videos though, I’m hoping not to lose too much but the likes of the Cambrian and Holyhead are likely to lapse as there is no need to go to either (at the moment!) 

Is there any truth in what's been reported by the north wales coast noticeboard site that GBRf have the slate waste contract from Llandudno Junction and the Pen stone?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CazRail said:

Is there any truth in what's been reported by the north wales coast noticeboard site that GBRf have the slate waste contract from Llandudno Junction and the Pen stone?

I’ll be honest I’ve not heard anything official but then again my Home Depot wouldn’t be involved with that work, most likely the north west depots doing it but from a personal point of view I’ll be keeping my ear to the ground as I’m sure it said it would be going to hope on the hope valley line, I currently (just about) sign penmaenmawr to Saltley jn then the rest of route, assuming it goes mouldsworth, altrincham, Skelton jn, hazel grove, chinley and hope I still sign and are nicely in date 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

From what I gather, the sidings in Llandudno Junction will be cleared once bird nesting season is over, apparently Breedon Aggregates have the lease. 

Hopefully they come off, be something to keep an eye for at work.

'Dirty diesel' posted on a tread about 'new stations in wales'.

By implication he is a signaller at/for LLJ so probably knows

mike james

Posted June 13

Llandudno & BF did have an all year round Sunday service from last December timetable change until the flood closed the BF branch in February. 
BF branch closed till September now, we’ve had a few stone/spoil trains up the BF branch in the last two weeks. 
Slate waste will start running from January, train will start from the Buxton area and will be loaded up in the old Glan Conwy Freight yard (the old oil dept road next to BF branch). Phase two is to run trains from BF. Llandudno Junction yard will be cleared of the jungle once the summer nesting season is over. We have asked that we (NR) can stable units/tampers in the old yard next to where the old mess rooms & TCI office use to be. 

Stu

LJ Signaller 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ll be honest I’ve not heard anything official but then again my Home Depot wouldn’t be involved with that work, most likely the north west depots doing it but from a personal point of view I’ll be keeping my ear to the ground as I’m sure it said it would be going to hope on the hope valley line, I currently (just about) sign penmaenmawr to Saltley jn then the rest of route, assuming it goes mouldsworth, altrincham, Skelton jn, hazel grove, chinley and hope I still sign and are nicely in date 

Hi Jim, I wonder if the slate is intended to be used in the cement process at Hope or as infill/land reclamation for old quarry workings around the site. It would be good to see such a service coming through both Northwich and Hazel Grove.

Cheers Paul

On 08/07/2020 at 14:48, caradoc said:

Your route knowledge is a Controller's dream big jim ! Something of a contrast to Drivers who sign only for the Up and Down main lines and won't even take the route for a loop running parallel to the main for its entire length (yes, that has happened !). Really enjoying your photos of today's rail scene, thanks.

I've had that a few times..  If there's a road learner running about I'll usually ask if they want a look over goods lines and any shunts explaining etc. A few years ago there was a loco running through Bescot a couple of times a day, when I asked them if they wanted a couple of runs along the goods loops the response was that they didn't need to know them....

Knowing those loops can mean the difference between a long wait with the job stopped or being able to work round a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Hi Jim, I wonder if the slate is intended to be used in the cement process at Hope or as infill/land reclamation for old quarry workings around the site. It would be good to see such a service coming through both Northwich and Hazel Grove.

Cheers Paul

I note that 'the train will start in the Buxton area', which could simply mean that the stock is stabled there. I have seen reference to the traffic going to the Peak Stone terminal at Hope Street, Salford.

• RMweb Gold

Whatever happens any freight along the north wales coast will be good to see!

not bothered with pics the last couple of days really, trafford park and another landor st to toton, this time with wagons 

Class 70 passing landor st 

C6181C0E_8391_418F_BFD1_85E6F7BCDE37_IMG

66770 in toton 

712E2A88_6018_40CD_95E7_7D3887F7D52B_IMG

IM tonight around the Mersey 

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I note that 'the train will start in the Buxton area', which could simply mean that the stock is stabled there. I have seen reference to the traffic going to the Peak Stone terminal at Hope Street, Salford.

Then again Hope Street might make more sense.. unless they mean stone from Penmaenmawr to Hope Street? And the slate is going elsewhere.

Cheers Paul