Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Forgot to put last nights pics up, landor st to Leicester with MK1 barrier vehicles and back to bescot 

8AD4BEDC_C5D6_4C9A_B742_2018007BB35B_IMG

52DF7CCC_6605_44AD_9B4D_98B3409CE2C5_IMG

plenty to see on leicester depot but they aren’t keen on you taking pics so only a close up arty shot of GBRF 47s and a 56

F247B490_C30F_453E_824A_DB4D90606560_Ful

landor st to crewe tonight 

Hi Jim, 

It's been a very long time since I worked on or off Leicester depot for the local quarry traffic, to and from the South East or worked the Lindsey-Colnbrook fuel tanks for Heathrow. 

If you're down at Leicester Depot at all, look carefully in the staff block, as there is (was?) a fully functional training model railway! You may already know about this?

That was one of the last proper Freight Train Crew depots years ago, before everybody who could, jumped ship to the local TOC! What was that called now, with bright green 170's??? Central Trains I think..... 

Cheers,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Agree 1

hello

my understanding is that the signalling problem 

is at hazel grove - so I don't understand why all the lines towards

manchester from crewe are blocked.

I thought most of the freight went via the 'airport line'

(not actually to the airport) via east didsbury.

why is it causing so much headache for freight?

mike j

Edited by mikejames
change west to east didsbury

• RMweb Gold

Hazel grove isn’t part of this issue, I don’t know if they have been having problems there too though, I doubt it as the Stone train I conducted came that way last night and will do so again later

The signalling between crewe Sydney bridge and cheadle Hulme is made by a company called ansaldo and is the only line in the country with it equipped so when whatever happened the other day happened it affected the whole line, it appears to have lost detection so trains are having to be worked through by ticket working and every set of points has had to be clipped and scotched (40 sets) trains are getting special working tickets to allow them to pass 30 consecutive stop signals at danger in the area!

the headache being one train can’t set off until the other reaches the other end of the emergency working, normally our trafford park train for example follows the tail light of another freightliner all the way along that section and there is then one 30 mins behind us into Trafford park, it’s currently taking trains 50 mins to get through one at a time! 

ive just worked 4M51 as far as crewe and am currently not required so have come home for a bit but I’m expecting a call later to go and meet it’s southbound working back at the station as again it’s likely to be late later and the driver will exceed his hours, I booked on later so can get it back to nuneaton, here’s hoping the phone doesn’t ring though! 

landor st waiting room head north 
B2896C37-94B8-4EBA-93C5-11BC65E1C2D8.jpeg.be87280bf8fc820c68cecc2c50782c80.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

To give you an idea, On these screen shots off opentraintimes website each **** is a failure of some sort (and this isn’t the whole route!) and each one of those signals has to be passed at danger using an emergency special working form

to be honest I’ve just looked at my rulebook As I’m typing this thinking ESW must have replaced temporary block working but that’s the next section of the rule book and I’m struggling to see what situational difference there is as to which one would be applied, the only thing I can think of is ESW is for axle counter lines and temp block working is for track circuits, anyone? 

1D43BAF4-EC8D-4F3E-BA34-471C562189A1.png.5c5d1910d2475abec573adaa294d0a24.png

A4095A18-262C-4D5D-B36E-B0F72373C70C.png.03f0b9934c0b854af8a3e5e6075bdbaf.png

6A22884C-0353-4672-8F03-D5360907C5FC.png.ae3227784f33681414f30e95f3519224.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning.

ESW doesn't require a ticket and to get trains moving as soon as possible, it uses boards at the lineside to tell you when it begins and finishes, TBW has a ticket and no boards.

Cheers 

Edit*

ESW also requires less staff on the ground and puts more responsibility on the signaller.

Edited by Siggie in the east
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

@Siggie in the east The train last night certainly had a ticket, RT3190, and it says in the rule book (Module S5, section 5) that one is required, signallers duties are defined in point 5.4 below (starts on previous page but this is most relevant)

6ED9EDBC-79E9-436C-90A4-6F26E1F11B85.png.14eb7df55968af3760f697a180b8f3c1.png

I didn’t work through the section so can’t comment on the boards being out

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, WessexEclectic said:

The saga never ends.

I seem to remember that the Ansaldo contract was done under Railtrack and 5hen had to be descoped to get it to work and that's why Stockport retained mechanical boxes where they had to bring engineers in from India to refurbish them. It was a saga covered extensively  in Roger Ford's column in Modern Railways.

Jamie

4 hours ago, big jim said:

@Siggie in the east The train last night certainly had a ticket, RT3190, and it says in the rule book (Module S5, section 5) that one is required, signallers duties are defined in point 5.4 below (starts on previous page but this is most relevant).

6ED9EDBC-79E9-436C-90A4-6F26E1F11B85.png.14eb7df55968af3760f697a180b8f3c1.png

I didn’t work through the section so can’t comment on the boards being out

Apologies, it does! My SSM thought it didn't and I wasn't sure. We havent used it over here at Colchester yet (might explain why i can't find a NR3190 anywhere) and TBW hasn't been put in for around 7 years. 

Its like a cross between TBW, single line working and pilot working, with less staff on the ground.

Thanks

Edited by Siggie in the east
  • Like 2

When you see how long the procedure is, you can understand why everything picks up delay. Factor in occasional loss of signal, and it's a recipe for a snarl-up. Not having worked on UK railways, I wasn't aware of such a practice in the UK, but I have encountered the French FREP (Franchissment de reperé fermé ) which is effectively the same, though possibly even more verbose...

BTW, Ansaldo were previously Union Switch and Signal and are now Hitachi.

I wonder if the Crewe issue needs spinning off into its own thread.

I had a slow journey to Manchester yesterday from London via Stoke as this issue also requires a single train in a block between Prestbury and just south of Stockport. The Pendeliono I was on had to wait 30 mins to go into the block and then had issues once through which required according to the train manager a complete restart of the train/computer. 

As I had to visit Greenfield I chose to take the valid alternative route of Transpennine to Leeds and then LNER to KGX. It a lovely evening so had actually very pleasant between Greenfield and Huddersfield. First time I had been through in daylight since about 1983. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If nothing else after the chaos of the middle of the week the signalling has given me a quiet weekend, supposed to be on a T3 possession in Trentham last night and today but it’s had to be cancelled as it was needed as a diversionary route

all was not lost though, as I was all set for a bit of track work and ready to roll I thought I’d have my own little T3 in the mancave and carried on with a bit more of the layout!

4F08C25F-54D0-4489-810F-A8F3EE646F2A.jpeg.bb0e85800848185d81adcb0b27754df7.jpegI’ll be putting some more pics in my layout thread later 

• Like 16

On 18/09/2020 at 23:31, big jim said:

To give you an idea, On these screen shots off opentraintimes website each **** is a failure of some sort (and this isn’t the whole route!) and each one of those signals has to be passed at danger using an emergency special working form

to be honest I’ve just looked at my rulebook As I’m typing this thinking ESW must have replaced temporary block working but that’s the next section of the rule book and I’m struggling to see what situational difference there is as to which one would be applied, the only thing I can think of is ESW is for axle counter lines and temp block working is for track circuits, anyone? 

1D43BAF4-EC8D-4F3E-BA34-471C562189A1.png.5c5d1910d2475abec573adaa294d0a24.png

A4095A18-262C-4D5D-B36E-B0F72373C70C.png.03f0b9934c0b854af8a3e5e6075bdbaf.png

6A22884C-0353-4672-8F03-D5360907C5FC.png.ae3227784f33681414f30e95f3519224.png

ESW and TBW can both be used on lines with Axle Counters or Track Circuits, as long as the line is signalled under Track Ciircuit Block Regulations.

The big advantage of ESW is the speed it can be set up. Provided all the points on the line concerned have correct detection they do not need to be clipped and scotched on the ground. Points are locked up on the panel and reminders applied. This obviously means less people need to be out on the track. As long as there is an entrance signal that can be maintained at danger and a suitable, easily identifiable location for the end of ESW board to be placed then ESW can be introduced relatively quickly. Any points that do not have correct detection must still be secured of course.

With TBW all the points must be secured, even if they are detecting correctly. This takes a lot of time and resources. I wouldn't be surprised if ESW replaces TBW at some stage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Seems to have been freight Salop Goods to Styal and passenger Edgeley to Macclesfield. Hence cancelled possessions via Stoke.

Paul.

that’s right, the points at sandbach we’re clipped and scotched towards the independent lines and towards styal at Wilmslow so only freight could get through 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, big jim said:

landor to telford then Hereford tomorrow (best part of that job being I get to go to hereford models before my train home!)

Send me a list of the bargains before you post in the BH thread.......

:D