Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, Budgie said:

Can you just run those locos through the carriage washer to clean them up?

i suppose you could, I think that’s what DRS do in kingmoor, ours are hand/jet wash cleaned, I cleaned one last year when I was sat bored in Bescot One morning!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Is the RHTT not your cup of tea, Jim?

it’s different but such a dirty job, I go through 2 or 3 jackets a season as the grime is impossible to get off clothes properly, if you boil wash the hi-viz the reflective strips all come adrift

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Who is going to be brave enough to do that weathering on a "00" gauge model.

Terry.

I've seen quite a few E-Bay weathering jobs that are not dissimilar..

I wonder why UK RHTT trains get as messy as they do; the ones I've seen in France, which use a similar high-pressure system, seem to remain pretty clean.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Surely there's a standard livery for RHTT locos. :D

(pics from flickr)

37059 DRS_C030046

Dirty Diesel Season. 66 301 at Kingmoor TMD.

Na it’s just James Markin starting to do a full weathering. He will get the cotton buds out soon.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC

• RMweb Gold

Some from last night, worked a Stone train between stockport and stoke as the driver didn’t sign it 

stockport, biomass train passing through 

then my train arrived 

001_IMG_5143.JPG

and I got off at stoke

001_IMG_5144.JPG

possession tonight near Birmingham international then was a week of annual leave but have been asked to work a few trains into Donnington (Shropshire) at the back end of the week 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Some from last night, worked a Stone train between stockport and stoke as the driver didn’t sign it 

stockport, biomass train passing through 

then my train arrived 

001_IMG_5143.JPG

and I got off at stoke

001_IMG_5144.JPG

possession tonight near Birmingham international then was a week of annual leave but have been asked to work a few trains into Donnington (Shropshire) at the back end of the week 

Do you ever manage a full weeks leave without having to turn in to cover something, Jim?

Regards

Ian

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve got jury duty for 2 weeks coming up so I can’t work even if they asked! 

only one from yesterday, a very wet hams hall with 66759 which I took to bescot before working it on a rail drop at Birmingham international 

001_IMG_5149.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

(unless they got you for the Barmouth bridge work!)

Jonathan

Regards the Barmouth bridge work I see that the crossing in fairbourne is closing for 5 days next week, I’m puzzled as to how people are going to get in and out of the village, the only other road in via the Llwyngwril end by the old toll house isn’t exactly built for 2 way traffic and anything bigger than a van

perhaps @wombatofludham Can enlighten us?

• Agree 2

Access to the village will indeed be via Penrhyn Drive South which as you say isn't really built for two way traffic.  Fortunately, our semi-detached Parliament in Caerdydd has introduced a 17 day circuit breaker lockdown so more by luck than judgement, I suspect the level crossing closure will have less impact than had normality been resumed, but there have been notices put up in the village asking people to be careful and considerate when using the lane.

Not quite sure how our infrequent bus service is going to cope with the closure and diversion.  A Lloyds Optare Solo is quite a lump to navigate via Penrhyn Drive South.

Curiously, Barmouth level crossing was shut for a similar length of time last week which forced traffic for the prom to squeeze under the height restricted bridge by the Last Inn, again fortunately the T3 Traws Cymru bus which uses double decks didn't have to use the diversion or I suspect Lloyds might have had a few cabriolet buses by now.  The fact our level crossing is closed a week later suggests some sort of upgrade to the signalling or track circuiting for the crossings, although Barmouth is manually operated by train staff rather than by approach treadles/circuits as I understand it.  Anyone have any clues?  Presumably NR are taking advantage of the closure to do the other work - I wonder if it is connected with the incident the RAIB investigated where the gimcrack ETRM system forgot some sighting speed restrictions on some level crossings following a computer crash?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As usual, a complete lack of official info on the closure but thanks to a trawl through the official notices at the Caernarfon Kremlin's highways department, it seems the crossing is being upgraded, and is having a new power feed installed as we type.  I have to say, the crossing is a bit unreliable and uneven and could do with a complete rebuild, although it had half barriers installed a few years back after a risk assessment, they were piggy-backed onto the existing open crossing system, and they have had a fair few reliability problems including a spectacular very early failure of the original, very trendy "triffid" traffic enforcement cameras which now have a couple of temporary cameras strapped to a scaffold pole on top of them.

Perhaps this will be a substantial rebuild and refit to sort out the rather poor vertical alignment of the road across the crossing?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

From a train drivers point of view the crossing is a pain in the bum on a 97, it’s 5mph across it (or equivalent kph) and every time I’ve driven toward it from llwyngwril direction the ertms has bought me to a stop despite only being within the braking curve

As discussed many years ago it’s an unusual Crossing in so much as it’s an open crossing with barriers (AOC-B) 

I wonder if there will be accompanied pedestrian access across the crossing as they did an onibury a few years back to allow people to get over the line to meet the local buses which were on diversion 

• Like 1