Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I rather like the high level headlight

I think that's what allows them to avoid the yellow panel requirement.

It's also rather reminiscent of the XPT light arrangement. Now that would be a livery to truly irk some purists...

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

And a vid of it departing, notice how the driver flicks the switch to stop the lead loco powering up for a nice quiet journey, you can do that when in multi and the isolation switches in the correct positions in both locos 

As usual, excellent pics Jim and very informative about the 66s in multi - I’ve never heard of that before. I’ve seen lead locos powering and rear locos idling before (usually when not in multi) but rarely vice versa. I did see a DRS 37/20 combo like you describe once but think the lead loco was low on power.

Is it advisable to do that when in multi on non-RHTT trips? I imagine the rear loco will go through more fuel if it 'pushes' all the time, but as the RHTT changes direction so much I imagine the difference between the locos is negligible.

Yesterday I actually went to Spondon to see you and waited for a good while but you were held at East Mids Parkway for ages and I had a doctor's appointment! I’ll try again next time you’re over this way.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

There was a failed HST blocking Nottingham Mansfield jn so I offered to go and rescue it with my 37 on Saturday, he held me at east mids for a bit just incase he needed me but it got sorted!

you will find IM trains don’t tend to run that early into derby on a Saturday as there are so many trains arriving Onto the RTC they have to hold them to order around the derby area, I’ve sat for 3 hours in sunnyhill loop before now 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Jury duty is over, not required this week so can go back to work and they didn’t mess about finding me something to do!

covered a couple of sickness’ first up a trip landor st to Leicester 

landor st

001_IMG_5375.JPG

humberstone road 

001_IMG_5377.JPG

GBRF 47 with an anglia unit heading for old Dalby

001_FullSizeRender(10).jpg

This caught me by surprise as I was talking to the driver on the 47

001_IMG_5380.JPG

Steel train

001_IMG_5389.JPG

Ex Lner HST

001_IMG_5392.JPG

Rear 47

001_IMG_5395.JPG

001_IMG_5396.JPG

Then later in the evening it was over to nuneaton to work a train to hams hall

class 172 unit

001_IMG_5398.JPG

001_IMG_5400.JPG

And that was that, back in later for a crewe to leamington spa job 

with the 47 unit move. I thought normally that sort of move would have barrier wagons. or is that not the norm now?