Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

22 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Does the track in the immediate foreground lead to the EMR siding? - Just trying to place the photo, TIA.

The loco I believe is on the  EMR  connection. The line in the foreground is a dead end.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It’s open again now but in normally park my car at the bottom left of that picture so glad I didn’t that night

funny how it’s never normally suffered that bad and in the last 12 months all the fields around the edge of the yard have been built on with warehouses and housing right Upto the boundary fence 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2021 at 00:49, big jim said:

Walking past the ballast siding, spotted this in the stones, an old walkers crisp packet, best before end April 1992 on the back! Imagine all the stuff that would have witnessed around bescot back then

001(205).JPG

I lost that packet at Bescot open day, it was my lucky packet.

Railways have been cursed ever since.

if you give it me back, all EMUs will vanish and LHCS will return, 58’s will rise from Rouen and 87’s will come back from exile.

To think that packet was abandoned before the first Birmingham built Eurostar entered service, and has been found pretty much as they finished at a Birmingham scrapyard... you finding it is an Omen.. you have been chosen !

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

19 hours ago, big jim said:

Some from this morning

oxford to derby, trouble with the DBSO so the 37 was leading to derby with the train in darkness as there was no power, unable to drive from the DBSO all well and good except for the reverse move to get into the RTC!

a very wet oxford

001(223).JPG

001(222).JPG

Derby

001(221).JPG

We managed the reverse move by me changing a couple of switches on the generator and control unit which enabled me to get it to export power to just the DBSO enabling the cab to be energised and driven from, I bet the guys who’d sat in the train in the cold and dark since london had wished I’d tried it in oxford before we left so they could have had heat and light for the trip back!

001(220).JPG 

possession tonight in rugby then a varied week, Donnington, Leicester and Tyseley to finish off 196s, should have been on a nice little longport to SVR job Monday but that’s been postponed for a week 

Longprort to the SVR moving a bodysnatcher by any chance. I presume it will be towed.

Keith

image.png.611d3250efc07e4313c822ff938f6564.png

Th ballast reminds me of a "Bowyers" pork pie I bought on a Bristol to Newcastle express back in the 70's (Peak hauled - proper train). It was harder than a lump of ballast, and had probably travelled more miles than Rommel !!

I still ate it though !!

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Funny 2