Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Qq, when running top and tail with the rear engine powered up, is it manned or is it ok just to drag it about ?

Ive seen a ton of ballast trains in our area this summer, many top and tail and I see the rear one ticking over when dragged.

The other common sight is on posessions, the trains going in solo, and last one top and tailed, the lead loco on each then detaching on site and going onto the rear of the proceeding, in order to run it back at the end.

• RMweb Gold

The back loco is running but isolated to be dragged in the rear of the train, you can do that with the likes of 66s as they have no fire system, if it’s say a 37 then it has to be mannned if it’s running incase it catches fire, the person in board can activate the fire system,

Traditionally 37s have to be running on the rear otherwise it can’t keep main res pressure however some 37s now have an isolating cock to enable them to be shut down and maintain pressure (similarly 56s) 

if they are top and tail and the multi cable is in throughout the train (RHTT for example) you can have both running without anything isolated as a fire system activation is detected through the jumper cable 

the practice of dropping a loco off the back of one train into the top of another is called cascading, quite common where trains head back to site the same way they come from 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold

66735 today

001(233).JPG

a brand new uncomissioned 196 unit in store in Donnington, I had a look over the outside of it while there to refresh myself on them, I am supposed to be being passed out on the the end of the week (but it may not happen now!), my trainee for some reason was cleaning the windows on the loco!

001(45).jpg

And into landor st

001(232).JPG

Landor st to leicester tomorrow

Edited by big jim
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I do Carlisle to rugby on the wcml then into london via the chilterns, didcot is as far south as I go outside london, hereford via the marches is as far south that way then the likes of bidston, Chester, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, derby, Nottingham, MML Leicester to Sheffield and Doncaster, clitheroe, hellifield, S+C then there’s other bits and bobs I need to refresh like holyhead, the Cambrian to Aberystwyth and Barmouth, heart of Wales etc but there is no requirement to go down there (at the moment) 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I do Carlisle to rugby on the wcml then into london via the chilterns, didcot is as far south as I go outside london, hereford via the marches is as far south that way then the likes of bidston, Chester, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, derby, Nottingham, MML Leicester to Sheffield and Doncaster, clitheroe, hellifield, S+C then there’s other bits and bobs I need to refresh like holyhead, the Cambrian to Aberystwyth and Barmouth, heart of Wales etc but there is no requirement to go down there (at the moment) 

Not quite as far as a Saltley Seagull........

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

2 from yesterday, returning the wagons back to bescot from site, the job was actually cancelled after we arrived on site so the wagons returned in the same loaded condition as they had arrived!

kingsbury

001(277).JPG

bescot 

001(276).JPG

• Like 19

Missed that one - Leicester LIP is becoming a good destination for my 'daily exercise' bike ride along the old GCR into town - caught the 56 on Sunday when it came down from Doncaster. Terrible filming, max zoom on phone whilst holding it wrong side of railings and police helicopter overhead!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well the 69 is moving Monday but I’m not doing it unfortunately, despite me being booked to work it the job ended up in the vacancy list and was taken by someone else before I realised the mistake

I am going to longport on Monday though to collect, I believe, 66794 to take as far as derby where it continues to Doncaster, varied week coming up, longport, possessions, Trafford park, and 37 IM train on the north Mersey amongst other things 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4