Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

And was the front end of the milling train designed to look aggressive?

Jonathan

I think it looks quite cute, a cross between a minion and a Manchester tram 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Swifty11 said:

Nice selection of images as always! Out of interest, why can't the milling machine move under its own power between sites instead of being chaperoned by sheds? 

I don't think it can move very quickly under its own power. Certainly, the ones I've seen on the European mainland seem to travel dead-in-train if they're not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2021 at 15:49, Swifty11 said:

Nice selection of images as always! Out of interest, why can't the milling machine move under its own power between sites instead of being chaperoned by sheds? 

The Miller is leased from abroad and does not have all the relevant systems installed for operation in traffic over here. It can only be used in possession, but must be transported by loco’s when out of a possession. The new Miller’s, manufactured by Lingsinger, are built specific for the UK and transit about the network like Tampers/Stoneblowers and Grinders. There will be two by November, currently we only have one in use. Very different machines and working characteristics, but the principles are the same and they are fantastic bits of kit. Colas are the operators for the new NR machines. 

Edited by Ncarter2
  • Informative/Useful 9

On 17/03/2021 at 01:53, Ncarter2 said:

The Miller is leased from abroad and does not have all the relevant systems installed for operation in traffic over here. It can only be used in possession, but must be transported by loco’s when out of a possession. The new Miller’s, manufactured by Lindgsinger, are built specific for the UK and transit about the network like Tampers/Stoneblowers and Grinders. There will be two by November, currently we only have one in use. Very different machines and working characteristics, but the principles are the same and they are fantastic bits of kit. Colas are the operators for the new NR machines. 

Thanks very much, I had wondered whether it was something along those lines as to why it couldn't move itself. 

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Swifty11 said:

Thanks very much, I had wondered whether it was something along those lines as to why it couldn't move itself. 

It’s built by Schweerbau. NR took it on a 2 year lease in 2018, so it’s due to end at the end of this year. It was brought in to replace the HGV based version in use, pending delivery of the 2x machines being supplied by Linsinger. There is a possibility of the lease being extended, depending on volume and requirements. Should that happen, and depending and the length of extension, there may be discussions around fitting the relevant systems to allow it to transit without being loco hauled. It’s able to mill up to 5mm in a single pass. The Linsinger will be two units able to operate separately, but the intent is to operate as a duplex unit. A single Lingsiner unit can only cut 2.5mm per pass, hence operating as a duplex. Both are fantastic machines and well worth the investment. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

They are very good machines and the crews on them are sound too, a mix of German, Scottish and Welsh, not a clue what any of them are saying 1/2 the time!

anyway one from this morning, end of my job, Crewe to Leamington spa with an mod train 

001(425).JPG

Back on the milling machine tonight Lichfield to crewe and back

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Do you know who's driving the 730 around on the mileage accumulation runs ? 

And it's good to see a proper named loco on the front of the milling machine. 

As I still need to get a decent photo of 66756.

Cheers 

Colin

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, big jim said:

the embarkment to the right was where a line went off to a good yard somewhere near Holliday street?

Birmingham Central Goods.  Stanier House, now the Axis, is on the site.  You can still see the Axis end of the tunnel through the back car park.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, big jim said:

Just been sent a picture of 66793 in it’s new ‘heritage’ livery!

had a genuine ‘f’in hell moment’ it looks fantastic

I know you're probably on a confidentiality agreement and can't share too many details, but when is it likely to be officially revealed please?