Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

supposedly 196 testing tomorrow if it happens 

I guess they're too new to suffer the same fate as the 195s that have been grounded due to broken/cracked yaw damper mounts.

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

A friendly wave from the GBRF driver on today's 1424 Southampton Western Docks - Trafford Park containers, as it passes St Cross near Winchester.

P1130687 (6).JPG

Some do, some don't! Some even give a friendly blast of the horn! Amazing how it varies!

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Some do, some don't! Some even give a friendly blast of the horn! Amazing how it varies!

My mate and I have a regular spot near us on the Paris to Bordeaux  line. We've been photographing in that area for a couple of years now and regularly get a wave and a few toots on the horn.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/04/2021 at 12:00, gismorail said:

Those 196 units are ugly ducklings. The cross track vision must be compromised with that corridor connecting bellow being so prominent 

I can't think of many modern EMUs that do look attractive - the front end of the 196 is about as prominent as the Southern 4COR - though the Nelsons had a bit if character with it.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, big jim said:

apparently they are within tolerance but they are shockingly bad to see out of, the biggest issue I found was in New St where if the platform is on the right hand side so are the signals, including ones 1/2 way down the platform and I was struggling to see them, in fact the final 196 pic in the thread is taken from roughly below one of the platform signals, to get an idea, can you see my drivers window in the pic? Imagine that the other way round, could I see the signal?

another example is coming round the curve from small Heath to bordesley jn, you pass over the magnet (which is less than the standard 200ft from the signal) and it’s a good coach length before you actually see the signal! 

still, someone from the unions has signed them off so what do I know!

anyway one from today, one for the weatherers out there!

001(544).JPG

back in tomorrow, hams hall to toton, toton to hams hall, hams hall to rugby! 

That seagull must had a bad case of diarrhoea from a great height.

Terry.

• Funny 4