Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

10 hours ago, big jim said:

Just 3 from today, hams hall to toton 

toton

001(546).JPG

then it was onto a southbound service from toton back to hams hall where I sat for 4 hours before heading off to rugby with it 

001(76).jpg

Great pics as ever Jim...in the first you caught a Meridian, which was also diverted but for a different reason! The 'liners were running through Toton vice Peterborough due to the transfer of ECML signalling from the PSBs to the ROC. The Meridian however was running via the Erewash through Toton as north of Derby has been closed for a weekend possession.

Thanks for the tones and wave as ever, it was good to see you driving as you’ve been with trainees the last few times I’ve seen you. Also nice to see a fully loaded train, 36 flats with 55 containers...

835EDD1F-E122-47AC-B387-E486542B98E1.jpeg.ac3f98ebdfe04f571fc7338da01d61a6.jpeg

GBRf 66761 - 4L01, Stenson

Towards the back of the train there were some of the new WH Davis-built 'EcoFret 2' wagons which were recently moved to Worksop but are now earning their keep. The 3 sets you had on were still shiny...I’ve not seen any in other trains yet so must be one of their first trips?

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

How are flats detected these days?   Visual inspection before departure / periodic examinations?  RMweb member by side of track? :P  

You missed one out - wait ‘til it derails and catches fire.

:-)

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

How are flats detected these days...... 

WILD/WHEELCHEX systems should, but it depends where on the network they are positioned, and whether or not the particular wagon/train is routed over the detectors. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

@Jack374 it was a heavy train, 2200 ton and 2200 ft long too!

the train I had northbound also had the ecofrets in it (see the first pic) they are a strange wagon, initial break seems to do nothing then once you go past that they bite quite quickly

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

aaah, i see what you mean, i didnt see/comprehend the word "overhead" in the original post!

i wont lie, ive never noticed the OHLE there before, if you look at the pic below it it only runs just past the points into No1 road so you wouldnt get far down there either

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, big jim said:

Some from Monday night/wednesday morning, ballast drop between princes risborough and Bicester 

brand new double slip fitted in Bescot 

001(574).JPG

Four levers for the slip.

I've heard these referred to as "English slips" before now.

I note that the two sets of blades at the opposite end are set for alternate routes

First time I've seen one in the UK [*]

[*] I've just checked a pic of one of the double slips at the RTC and it has 3 levers! Two at one end, and one at the other. This clearly shows the two sets of blades in the opposite direction in comparison to a single tiebar with four blades.

The  doubleslip further on only has one lever at each end and all four blades are set the same way.

slip.jpg.5e14818d0b1678c2d815b168177cdf2f.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

You can go, but you won't get back without a tow/push.

14 hours ago, big jim said:

I wont lie, ive never noticed the OHLE there before, if you look at the pic below it it only runs just past the points into No1 road so you wouldnt get far down there either

Is that section of catenary a leftover and no longer energised then?

On 28/04/2021 at 11:42, corneliuslundie said:

That new double slip at Bescot seems to have overhead for only one route through it. How long before someone takes a wrong turn, as it is manually controlled?

Jonathan

I very much double much, if anything electric uses it anymore. 92s are like hens teeth in Bescot Yard, 86s all stored, 90s again rare as on time West Midlands Train.

Id expect a BTEC is in place in most of bescot yard now as well.

There is  afully motored brand new double slip installed at Bristol Stoke Gifford a few years ago.

Edited by Courtybella
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

I very much double much, if anything electric uses it anymore. 92s are like hens teeth in Bescot Yard, 86s all stored, 90s again rare as on time West Midlands Train.

Id expect a BTEC is in place in most of bescot yard now as well.

There is  afully motored brand new double slip installed at Bristol Stoke Gifford a few years ago.

Oi every  West Midland Train I drive is on time or dare I say it actually early....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from the other night, bescot to landor st with an engineers train bound for Gloucester, royal Scotsman 66 up front 

001(587).JPG

should have been in yesterday doing small Heath to bescot but @Marcus 37ended up being stuck in that as I wa s needed today to conduct a cement train from shrewsbury to hereford,

I’m actually headed to shotton to relieve it there as the other driver lives in Prestatyn so he can get off early, only thing is the Chester to crewe line is shut so I’ve go to go via liverpool and bidston!

Next week is a week working away in london on IM trains out of hither green, the usual turn, visiting Hastings, eastbourne, Brighton, Bognor, seaford etc, the one night it’s not running I’ve been put on the possession in kings cross as site driver, should be a good week if somewhat long, not home until next Saturday! 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3