Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

I remember one time waiting for a train at Hamilton Square on a deserted platform. I could hear the train coming up the tunnel and getting closer, I stood up to walk to the platform edge and I could hear the train draw to a stop but there was nothing there. I didn't know about the other platform either.

8 hours ago, big jim said:

It could have been very embarrassing, When I mentioned it to the other driver he said he’d done the same too!

Trying to catch a tram at Manchester Victoria is the same there is an island platform that only has one side in use, trams to Bury pass straight through having previously stopped at another one!

• RMweb Premium

I remember when the 73s didn't have all that electrical gubbins on the front - it does make them look a but odd.  However who'd have thought that they would last so long - a bit like the 37 that you were driving on this duty.

21 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Idiots Corner ;- What is  the NMT Please. Lighting up Grantham indeed. ^_^

Network Measurement Train. It uses arrays of lasers to measure linesde structures, bridges, tunnels etc, to make sure there have been no infringements of the loading gauge.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, flapland said:

Who would have thought back in the 80's that by 2021 your would find 73's at the start of a journey from Derby to Hither Green. Out of interest any 73's at the Hither Green end. 

saw one in southern livery on Stewart’s lane as we passed by on the viaduct above 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ah.. Your down in our part of the world.

last night the test train was mooching about Surrey..

pouring rain, 50+ mph winds.... roads deserted, the only person I saw was the driver, who said I’d picked a right night for it.

Between 22.30 and 0045, I picked it at Carshalton, St Helier (Sutton-Wimbledon line is very rare track for anything other than a 700), then Epsom Downs (Almost as rare), then Carshalton Beeches.

Original plan was the 4x EDs on the Oxted line on autoballasters, but trees delayed it at Hoo junction and it didnt get there until 3am (I’m tough, but not that tough when the little ones up at 6).

Are you on IM in South London or heading back north ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Only heading out of south london from hither green really, it’s all south coast runs the rest of the week then Friday is back to derby via the ecml again 

1 hour ago, big jim said:

That’s the fella

@adb968008 I am down your way as it goes through Sutton and Epsom just after midnight, no doubt you will be out and about

Ive got yah, on Thursday..

0022 at Sutton, if youve got a 37, then i’ll probably do Carshalton as its the mid-point climb there upto Sutton from Mitcham... prior 37’s have sounded good.

might be bleary eyed but a 5am at the road bridge just before sutton platforms gives a really long straight view (albeit downhill) from Cheam.

I see your heading down Coulsdon in an hour... a bit dark, but your heading through that seriously deep cutting..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got yah, on Thursday..

0022 at Sutton, if youve got a 37, then i’ll probably do Carshalton as its the mid-point climb there upto Sutton from Mitcham... prior 37’s have sounded good.

might be bleary eyed but a 5am at the road bridge just before sutton platforms gives a really long straight view (albeit downhill) from Cheam.

I see your heading down Coulsdon in an hour... a bit dark, but your heading through that seriously deep cutting..

Blimey that's one hell of a deep cutting I bet Net work Rail have to monitor on a regular basis for any movement Than ks for sharing 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I’ve agreed to climb a mountain with a fellow driver when I reach a certain weight but the short climb up the hill to the observatory damn near killed me so I’m gonna have to get a lot of walking in between now and then!

I can recommend Snowdon - the summit's only a short walk from the nearest station! :)

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Staying in Greenwich, can’t fault it, cooked to order breakfast delivered to your room and decent food, right by the station so convenient to go via DLR to Lewisham for a train to hither green, quicker than a taxi 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hope you have a decent Hotel Jim, my experience of hotels around KX was less than favourable..

If it was anything like those around Paddington in the 1970's you would also get an offer of companionship for at least part of the night and no, I didn't take up any of the offers.:D

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hope you have a decent Hotel Jim, my experience of hotels around KX was less than favourable..

All very gentrified round KX now, I am sure there are still some dodgy bits but my recent experience is The German Gym, other restaurants where Top shed used to be and a rather nice techno Premier Inn that had rooms overlooking the station from the east.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

25 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

If it was anything like those around Paddington in the 1970's you would also get an offer of companionship for at least part of the night and no, I didn't take up any of the offers.:D

On a par with some of the ones around La Chapelle in Paris, which offer an hourly rate...

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

I was aware of that being the case but like you I wasn't taking up the offers. Until March last year I used to stay around Paddington 1or 2 nights a week and found some excellent hotels nearby along with some great pubs between the station and Hyde Park (The Cleveland Arms and The Mitre being top of my list)

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

All very gentrified round KX now, I am sure there are still some dodgy bits but my recent experience is The German Gym, other restaurants where Top shed used to be and a rather nice techno Premier Inn that had rooms overlooking the station from the east.

My experience was 2017, and was prior to getting an early Morning Eurostar.  After the experience I had I decided to get the train the night before and stay in a hotel near Lille Station.