Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, big jim said:

Couple of videos

Jim,

Is that the original City of Truro? If so it was the first 47 I saw, it came to Truro to be named and stood out like a sore thumb amongst all the hydraulics.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

Is that the original City of Truro? If so it was the first 47 I saw, it came to Truro to be named and stood out like a sore thumb amongst all the hydraulics.

According to class47.co.uk, yes it is.  Nameplate removed in 1988; original name restored in 2016.  It had other names in between.

Whether it is the original plates or reproduction isn’t stated, but the typeface looks like the old ones to me.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

According to class47.co.uk, yes it is.  Nameplate removed in 1988; original name restored in 2016.  It had other names in between.

Whether it is the original plates or reproduction isn’t stated, but the typeface looks like the old ones to me.

Paul.

Pre-1988, a late friend of mine stop-watched City of Truro at 117mph descending Stoke bank on a railtour.

Something about the name?

John

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I have often said that other countries have climates. We have weather. And when we in Ireland on holiday every possible option seemed to happen before lunch. Some nice suggestions for backscenes there.

Jonathan

I still remember my old Geology teacher, (who did his wartime service as a meteorologist, so also taught climatology), commenting. 'Boys; there are those who would say Wales has a terrible climate. This is manifestly not true. The climate is wonderful; it's the *****y weather that's terrible'

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

At night with that headlight, head on it looks quite sci-fi evil.

I think you could take that, make a facemask from it and use it as a dark warlord in some film.

CDFE29FF-2858-41CE-AC3C-971E7753223A.jpeg.c3ce9b9020c2ba6825b8af3fd0bf8787.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 5