Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Joking apart my stepdad went to Liverpool in business back in the late 90s, parked at the liver building and went to his meeting and his fiesta van got stolen and was found on bricks in toxteth having had its alloys nicked!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, big jim said:

001(965).JPG

In these days of Access for All and PRM compliance, I'm amazed that they built it like that.

Gave the handrail fitters a job I suppose, even if it was a repetitive job (Apprentice phase test anyone?)....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

In these days of Access for All and PRM compliance, I'm amazed that they built it like that.

Gave the handrail fitters a job I suppose, even if it was a repetitive job (Apprentice phase test anyone?)....

H&S gone mad.......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

H&S gone mad.......

No not quite yet… that footpath hasn't got its own safety fencing.

:D

its only official when there is a sign saying so.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

Perfectly logical!

On 02/08/2021 at 21:42, big jim said:

Some from today, bescot to east mids gateway and back to crewe 

bescot 

001(964).JPG

East Midlands gateway 

001(963).JPG

as I had a bit of time to kill I went for a walk along the footpath and bridle way that runs around the perimeter of the site 

first bit is a bit daunting though! 
001(965).JPG

On 02/08/2021 at 22:04, Davexoc said:

By zig-zagging across the slope, you make the gradient much less severe. The Swiss demonstrate this frequently with their adhesion railways! Basic principle of physics!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So you could charge your bike on the train. Interesting. I hope the power you were taking didn't slow it down too much.

Nice canal photos. We used to take holidays on canals when the children were home, but for some reason stopped when they left - I suppose we needed them as crew in the locks etc.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Perfectly logical!

By zig-zagging across the slope, you make the gradient much less severe. The Swiss demonstrate this frequently with their adhesion railways! Basic principle of physics!

Agreed, if it was built for wheeled access, but as it is steps and clearly only for legged use, they might aswell have gone up in a straight flight.......

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Agreed, if it was built for wheeled access, but as it is steps and clearly only for legged use, they might aswell have gone up in a straight flight.......

Major design fault?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Also lots of little flights means that if anyone falls they won't fall very far; especially important if there is a road or railway at the bottom!

the falling issue is the one thing that crossed my mind too

no road or railway at the bottom though 

• RMweb Premium

My wife would hate them. She is happy going down quite steep slopes but hates steps. I hope structures like that don't start springing up on the Severn Way etc. or the coastal paths where I know there has been pressure from the disabled lobby. While I have sympathy it would destroy what they were there to see.

Jonathan

4 hours ago, big jim said:

Some from last night, bescot to tamworth via Stoke on Trent 

bescot 

001(972).JPG

Please let 66786 be owned by Beacon... Please! ;)

I've lurked here for many years, but as I'm starting to get into modelling now, I've just signed up.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your posts Jim so far, it's been fascinating seeing your journey - and congratulations on the weight loss!

Edited by LocoMotive
Grammar fix.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, big jim said:

And back to the train, pleased with this picture!

001(144).jpg

Got to agree with you there. Good composition and lighting, but I think the sky is what makes it...

• Like 5
  • Agree 6