Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Had to pop back to crewe last night so rather than use my car and have to drive both ways I found a late job on the vacancy list and offered to work it so I could get the train down!

Royal Scot arriving into Carlisle 

66765 on the Stone train that I worked from crewe to bescot, then went home to do what I needed to do and back to Carlisle first thing

Next job is on Friday which I’m really looking forward to, Carlisle to Clitheroe cement via the S+C both ways, got a days route refresh beforehand too

I'll be watching out.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2021 at 20:10, big jim said:

3 weeks in a caravan with 2 kids and 3 cats, a few hours away from that is heaven 

I can totally agree with you on that my other half and my 7yr old daughter have been in the caravan in Porthmadog for the past 3 and half weeks it's been absolute bliss.

Cheers 

Colin

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I was supposed to work last night on a last minute job but it was cancelled, carnforth sidings to rugby with the rail milling machine, it’s on tomororw night though, only as far as crewe for me so a quick pop home to check everything is ok then back north to the caravan again (off to Beatrix potters gallery and house on Wednesday for the day!)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

For completeness here are a couple of pics from silloth 

the old station masters house, this was for sale a couple of years back 

171087A0-AD63-42B9-876B-E2D75F28109D.jpeg.5aafc1b74ca764734e2f666e6f3c7b46.jpeg

and the rugby pitch with the railway bridge carrying the road over the station throat, the station building is behind me to the left, the line split just under the bridge with a short branch to the convalescent hospital on the headland which also had its own platform, there was also sidings toward the docks 

64EAF1F7-C3AE-4EC2-BF9A-30ABB26AFDF0.jpeg.d0856bd9129f23d52f3bf0b582452245.jpeg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, big jim said:

For completeness here are a couple of pics from silloth 

the old station masters house, this was for sale a couple of years back 

171087A0-AD63-42B9-876B-E2D75F28109D.jpeg.5aafc1b74ca764734e2f666e6f3c7b46.jpeg

and the rugby pitch with the railway bridge carrying the road over the station throat, the station building is behind me to the left, the line split just under the bridge with a short branch to the convalescent hospital on the headland which also had its own platform, there was also sidings toward the docks 

64EAF1F7-C3AE-4EC2-BF9A-30ABB26AFDF0.jpeg.d0856bd9129f23d52f3bf0b582452245.jpeg

We used to go to Silloth a lot when we were at Uni in Carlisle, just had such a nice atmosphere, very quaint and laid back, but well kept. A proper 'bucket and spade' seaside resort without the tackiness of some places, kind of like they stopped the clocks when the railway shut. My other half got some pics of the old station, the building was still standing then. Have you been to see the remains of Port Carlisle Station? The platform used to still be there, near the breached sea wall and lock gates. And of course the old horse-drawn carriage survives at York :)

• RMweb Gold

I’d have loved to have seen it, I’ve also found a picture on line of the final day with a class 26 on a long rake of coaches heading for silloth through drumburgh 

if you look in the foreground of your picture the ‘piece of railway infrastructure’ I took a picture of is next tot the end of the tender

apparently the local MP has been trying to rally support for the line from Carlisle to Silloth reopen, if it did happen (which let’s face it, it wont) it certainly wouldn’t be in my lifetime and I personally can’t see any real benefit of it reopening, it’s not like silloth is gridlocked with traffic like Keswick 

anyway I’m working tonight with that delayed rail Miller so expect some open railway line piccies later!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, big jim said:

not sure how unusual this is but I wasn’t expecting to see a transpennine 802 in Carlisle, an ECS to craigentinny 

I think they have stopped running as many north of Newcastle (initially COVID cuts, now as part of the ECML performance review) and use West Coast to get them back for exams.  I think there is one set on a Manchester Airport Edinburgh WC turn for the same reason.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

According to a local gen group, they've been using the 802 for driver training purposes.

Today's diagram was 802207 Craigentinny-Preston-Glasgow-Preston-Craigentinny.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Theres been an implication at a UWC near March this morning with 4L02.

Tractor and trailer stuck on crossing. Driver is ok. Loco and some wagons derailed.

It appears the farmer mistook the green aspect on the signal as an ok for him to cross and disregarded the red/green miniature warning lights at the crossing. He also failed to call the signaller.

Thanks

Screenshot_20210819-164419_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Siggie in the east
Update
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/08/2021 at 16:51, big jim said:

The joys of trying to get an avanti train on a Saturday morning with a bike, no bike spaces available so ended up going via Manchester airport and Bolton 

northern 323 crewe to the airport 

CB15AE16-A6BA-4A1B-A4C6-BB1EF76DCA26.jpeg.202d510e965fe5c98ac7ad6d00ce5afd.jpeg

and a TPE from there to Carlisle 

B97ACC4B-D380-4E91-8510-451C2025EF2A.jpeg.1ce4d22adae04fb7e6f37070216bead3.jpeg

C1401D6C-0046-47DF-AFFA-DB074160F0E1.jpeg.7637cf6ef5e93557517ab92ae347e029.jpeg

got a job tomorrow night now too, carnforth to rugby with the rail miller on a transit move 

Wow Jim, what a transformation! Huge congratulations mate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2021 at 14:47, big jim said:

A touch of deja vu here, Jim, as I had already been alerted to this video and viewed it on YouTube before I caught up with your thread.

Edited by 45156