Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

I’m getting quite into this exploring old trackbeds, got a few more trips planned such as the monsal trail, cromford and high peak and the woodhead from hadfield 

It’s addictive!  I need to get back into doing some.

The Harborne Branch can be cycled from the end of the built over station site down almost to the canal.

Are you doing Woodhead as an out and back or going over the top?  Rather too many years ago I did it right through to Wath Yard.  Before I had a GPS or smart phone so I couldn’t be quite sure where I was when I came out onto the roads again!  That’s what prompted me to get a GPS receiver.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m just going to do an out and back to woodhead when I do it 

the Komoot app I use is very good as i set it to E-Bike touring so it keeps me off busy roads but it does have its moments such as earlier it took me off the left hand natioanl cycle path alongside the canal which is tarmac and over a bridge to the opposite side which is a dirt track, I obviously took it as I didn’t know where I was going and didn’t want to be in the wrong side of the canal at a junction maybe, however after about 2 miles it crossed me back over to the left hand side and back on to the national cycle route , I’ll know for next time though!

Things like this for example are a bit odd! 

come off the main road before a bend only to rejoin it 50M further on on a bend! 
5AC606E2-4E17-4793-B644-BF5E0D106902.png.b7a60ccca943d6362c4dad07ec1a25dd.png

Edited by big jim
  • Like 8

What you got planned for London Jim? It might be a bit short notice but if you like your cycling a track experience at the Velodrome, Stratford is worth a go. If you've never done it before it's a good experience and totally different to a road bike. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

4 west end shows booked over the 3 days, Hairspray on Saturday evening, the windsors on Sunday afternoon, Six on Sunday evening and Come from away on Monday evening! 

We really just want to avoid the city centre and touristy and shopping areas during our down time so are planning on having a look around the likes of Highgate cemetery and a walk on Hampstead Heath etc as they aren’t far from the hotel, I did the walk to the heath when I stayed in the same hotel with work a few months back 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, big jim said:

4 west end shows booked over the 3 days, Hairspray on Saturday evening, the windsors on Sunday afternoon, Six on Sunday evening and Come from away on Monday evening! 

We really just want to avoid the city centre and touristy and shopping areas during our down time so are planning on having a look around the likes of Highgate cemetery and a walk on Hampstead Heath etc as they aren’t far from the hotel, I did the walk to the heath when I stayed in the same hotel with work a few months back 

We went up to London a couple of weeks ago, and the touristy areas were very quiet compared to normal - as of course there are no foreign tourists. It was quite a revalation being able to walk over Hungerford bridge in a straight line instead of having to constanly avoid groups of selfie-takers...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thing is the couple of weeks has made a big difference to how busy places are, it’s noticeable on the M6 driving back from small heath that things have got busier, for the first time in a long time I’ve just not wanted to be driving a car anywhere, luckily next week I’ve got jobs I can use the bike on, to top it off it’s bank holiday weekend which I didn’t know when I booked the tickets for the shows  

• RMweb Gold

Saw hairspray last night, Michael Ball can really belt the tunes out that’s for sure!

6F9D0F83-DA5A-428E-9BFD-4FDB99E92311.jpeg.71be6863679df0310de881b2ecfb249b.jpeg

4E313B9A-FA2B-41F0-92F7-28FF4C69FB87.jpeg.12eb5da6d011cb3c498ee0cbe5b01e34.jpeg

this afternoon is the Windsors endgame with Harry Enfield which is in my most visited london theatre as it normally where the Book of Mormon is performed, in fact the set surround is still front wheel show as it’s returning in September (might come and see if for the 18th time!) 

62417876-AF3A-40A9-973D-1CE929B052B2.jpeg.4a2817d165521d503d9140e1104c9c33.jpeg

seeing Six later this evening too

sorry no train pics though 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

I know, to say I'm rather unimpressed is a bit of an understatement. I've noticed the bush is gravitating towards the signal as the summer has gone on as well!!!!!!

Do you know a tame napalm supplier?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

23 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Out of curiosity, what happens to the bits of metal milled off the rails?

Jonathan

I believe they now have a 'vacuum-cleaner' type device; previously they flew everywhere, with predictable results for point detection and track circuits, and even lineside fires on occasion.

• Informative/Useful 5