Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I believe they now have a 'vacuum-cleaner' type device; previously they flew everywhere, with predictable results for point detection and track circuits, and even lineside fires on occasion.

On of them was at Darlington last week and it seems to be accompanied by a road skip carrier for the swarf . The same vehicle followed it to York.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes the swarf is collected in the machine on site and the accompanying roll on roll off wagon collects it all up in a container when it returns to base, the container off the truck is in the first picture, the grey one with a door and window, I’m not sure how it’s taken out of the machine but it may actually me removed manually, I’ll ask the guys later

it needs stabling between turns in locations where the truck can get alongside and be serviced by the technicians,  hence the long transits sometimes such as craven arms on wrexham to bidston jobs, Carlisle upperby or carnforth on northern WCML jobs and Lichfield on southern WCML jobs, for some reason though it’s bescot this week which is unusual unless Lichfield isn’t available 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I believe they now have a 'vacuum-cleaner' type device; previously they flew everywhere, with predictable results for point detection and track circuits, and even lineside fires on occasion.

I think that was the rail grinder, the Miller is a different (and I understand better) machine.  At one time the grinder had to have a fire crew alongside it.

Paul.

8 hours ago, big jim said:

‘This time it’s personal’ charter between Bescot and Rugeley via Cannock, Class 86 up front, that should be a interesting end to the night 

That charter came through Colchester today on the Thames Haven-harwich International-ely-euston leg of the charter with a 66 and two 73s, had the hammer down, very impressive sight.

Cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations, and to Big Jim’s Dad too.

I won’t do the “I’ve done (did) xx years” as there are so many here who could probably get a bigger number!  It’s a good industry in the Up times and a right pain in the down.  Fortunately the Up is generally more than the Down.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Correcting autocorrect!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like just Stanier Pacifics and Terriers to go then on your loco list!

I guess that one small downside is that you do not often get to the Tywyn area these days.

And I admire your determination to lose weight. I like cycling but some of your trips would leave me well behind.

Many thanks for your regular posts.

Jonathan

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Just 3 from last night 

nuneaton, changing ends

IMG_0313.JPG

Atherstone, waiting to move further into the possession to start work 

IMG_0316.JPG

and back in Bescot all shut down

IMG_0319.JPG

today is also the 20th anniversary of me starting on the railway as a conductor for First North Western in Chester, I did that for 6 months before going driving and have done that ever since, had some ups and downs in that time, ups being signing lots of routes and traction and becoming an instructor and assessor and some of the downs (not too many thankfully) include losing my job with one company only to have it happen again a few years later when Fastline went bust

in the 20 years I’ve signed unit classes 101, 142, 150, 153, 156, 158, 165, 168, 170, 175, 196

loco wise it’s class 08, 20, 37, 47, 56, 60, 66, 67, 70, DVT, DBSO and HST, next week to that I can add MPVs to the list too 

ive signed (and still sign some of) north to Carlisle and south to london (Marylebone) and Aberystwyth in the west and Doncaster in the east 

ive worked Trains, being conducted, to the likes of fort William and oban, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth, Brighton and eastbourne and Cardiff and Bristol and lots of places in between 

signalling I’ve worked under the usual stuff like colour light and semaphore but also sign token working on the heart of Wales and RETB and ERTMS on the Cambrian 

In all quite a varied bag of stuff over the 20 years

oh and it’s also @Big jim s dad birthday today too! 

Congrats on the milestone!

Out of intrest, what's your favourite loco out of all that lot to drive? And favourite route too?

• RMweb Gold

I do like the Cambrian but don’t sign it any more (more to the point is need a fresh ertms course) I miss going down there, my fave current route I sign is the s+c I suppose but it does get a bit boring, other than that the marches are quite nice 

traction wise my fave has got to be a 47, least favourite a 66, no particular reason as they do the job that’s expected of them day in day out and they rarely go wrong but they are a bit soul less compared to say a 37 or 56

• Like 10

5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Sounds like just Stanier Pacifics and Terriers to go then on your loco list!

I guess that one small downside is that you do not often get to the Tywyn area these days.

And I admire your determination to lose weight. I like cycling but some of your trips would leave me well behind.

Many thanks for your regular posts.

Jonathan

Well done Jim on 20 years quite a record but you are missing one piece of classic traction. What about that brilliant loco of the Southern region the class 33……

Keith

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Well done Jim on 20 years quite a record but you are missing one piece of classic traction. What about that brilliant loco of the Southern region the class 33……

Keith

I do like 33s but I’ve never even been in one since I was a kid train spotting, DRS got theirs the same time I started there but I never got on one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great photos of the 86. I looked and sounded lovely through Rugeley. Certainly the first time an AC loco has worked over there under power. They were often hauled dead over there on diversions in the 70s and 80s. The loco was left on the train and a diesel dropped on, usually a 47 but 40s were not uncommon.

I'm pretty sure the last time an AC loco worked into Walsall station under power was one night shift sometime around 2007 when we had a problem at Bescot North and sent a light Class 90 from Darlaston Junction to Walsall platform 3 and back out to Pleck and Bescot Junctions to get round it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Just one pic from today, first day of learning MPVs, seem simple enough but very temperamental, if you get something in the wrong order when setting up the cab etc it won’t play ball and take power etc so you have to start again!

3198585C-B8BF-443F-8364-4F0792724FAE.jpeg.7d88207fe7b57bd88150b3d39e3a6183.jpeg

Hard to believe they are over 20 years old now! 

Don't brake too sharply in those either (or leave your coffee un-lided if you do), those truck style cab air suspension don't half wobble when you do! :nono::lol:

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes I was surprised to see the cabs have air suspension, it’s in the manual that if you come to one that’s been sat for a while the cab may be tilted back until the airbags fill!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple from today, a bit of an early finish so a ride back via bournville and the old Harbourne branch and back into new st 

99A1EE3C-A56A-4460-9572-D5CE67C32097.jpeg.c4319d6a664eafde588846cf91f4f732.jpeg

62151196-8914-4D56-898F-08DF8F60F856.jpeg.f7fbc9813deb201febaf802403229bd9.jpeg

out on the mainline with the MPV tomorrow morning, kings Norton, Worcester, Leamington and bromsgrove amongst other places 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I may see you on your travels as I'm back to work next week after 3weeks off. 

I've no idea what I'm working yet but I'm sure cross city will be heavily involved. Looking forward to be trying to get above 65mph at the top of the bank.

I hadn't realised the MPV's had air suspension cabs sounds like fun. 

Cheers 

Colin

Edited by CovDriver
  • Like 1