Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

8 hours ago, big jim said:

Some from last night, bescot to Stone rail drop then once done into Stafford and back to crewe 

bescot, my train ready for the off 

IMG_0673.JPG

66004 again 

IMG_0677.JPG

rode to bescot from Wolverhampton and put my bike on the loco for the ride home from basford hall 

IMG_0674.JPG

I did however forget that the low emission euro 66s have a narrower gangway than an original one and despite getting the bike on ok I managed to get it completely wedged while I was trying to get it off in crewe, at one point I genuinely thought I’d have to taxi home and come back later in with some tools to take the back wheel off, the pedal got stuck in the radiator grille then as I moved it back to try and free it the back wheel got stuck in the doorway, took me almost 20 minutes to finally free it, it was like something Bernard cribbins would have sung about! 

running round in Stafford, ran almost 2 hours early back to crewe which was a nice bonus 

IMG_0678.JPG

small heath ballast tonight then a week of trafford park next week 

I take it you were on a Cyclic diagram then. 

Davey

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I then went back from congleton to kidsgrove via mow cop and the ‘killer mile’ a 1:4 hill, I managed about 200 meters and gave up! Walked the bike up which near as damn killed me!

I have two Mow Cop Killer mile medals....

(Out of three attempts).

Going down the long way northwards to Congleton was worth the effort though!

I believe the running race record is just under 7 minutes!

• Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Designed so that horses could get from the towpath on one side to the other without having to unhitch the tow rope.

Also, on the far bank, you should be able to see grooves that the hundreds of tow ropes will have cut into the corner of the bridge arch.

The cows are positively bucolic - differing responses from the Canal and River Trust compared to NR in this case... ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, big jim said:

First up in crewe, D213 on a rail tour bound for the Wirral, rather nice!

That explains the photographers on the platforms at Post Sunlight and Bromborough Rake coming back from church yesterday.  Had it been on time, rather than 12 late, I would have seen it.

Shame!

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

it’s a weed killer train, looking at the labels that module this end contains the chemicals, the centre is the operating area and the end is an office/messroom 

I don’t know if there is more of it looking at the extra brackets over the buffers, will have to wait and see 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3