Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Just 4 from today, a wet trip home from the caravan, was hoping to get a train from wigton but they were cancelled due to the weather so got a lift into Carlisle instead, the roads in were terrible too

nothing was running north of Carlisle and there was a 50mph restriction between Shap and carnforth with Avanti trains running to an emergency timetable shuttling between Carlisle and Preston on a 2 hourly frequency 

tornado managed to make it to Carlisle though and was waiting to take a charter southbound which arrived in just before I got there 

TPE had their units stabled in the centre roads ready to shunt into the platform head south to manchester airport 

IMG_1505.HEIC

I then caught the shuttle train to Preston where I had to wait for the train to crewe

IMG_1507.HEIC

unusual sight of a pair of class 90s pulling some NR falcon wagons

IMG_1508.HEIC

IMG_1510.HEIC

and that was that, into crewe and home, Iport job tomorrow 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

That’s some trip, I was saying to my dad earlier that you had planned to get to wick but having not heard anything and given the weather I thought you’d given up and turned back but we’ll done for getting there! 

hopefully the sleeper will go ok for you, I think it’s had trouble the last couple of nights what with the weather and other issues 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, big jim said:

That’s some trip, I was saying to my dad earlier that you had planned to get to wick but having not heard anything and given the weather I thought you’d given up and turned back but we’ll done for getting there! 

hopefully the sleeper will go ok for you, I think it’s had trouble the last couple of nights what with the weather and other issues 

Its been some manic planning… 15 trains on Tuesday alone.. 

this is the ticket stash so far, still got a few more to go..definitely made use of the friends and family card, surprisingly weve not been alone this week, a few dads and kids have been on rail adventures.

6F5B3D1A-F77B-49A6-995D-1FB7AB3A47B2.jpeg.959b9d320be93b9054d3ab05183a3dab.jpeg

Some specific routings too, timings for freight, steam workings etc..

Such as Warrington to just see a Burnley freight, Kirkby and Bank Hall to look at the depot, Bidston for the 230 (turned to a nightmare that produced 2x class 67 rides and 70802 on the same logs you posted earlier that day up north).

Weve also routed for hills, S &C, Forth & Tay Bridges… was trying to get to Stirling this am to see the stranded 73 but timings wouldnt allow it.

if the southbound sleeper was to be a few hours late on Friday night it’d suit my plans for the 40’s perfectly.. 

anyways just getting ready for a quick photo op at Georgemas in the next 5 mins, Scotrails wifi is serving pretty good up heres .

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Lessons in weathering on that last but one shot?

Add rust colour in lines brushing downwards, then before it fully dries, gently rub down with a cotton bud dampened with thinners to spread and remove the harshness. And there you have it, rust streak effects.....