Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Craig1989 said:

When did hams hall become an aggregates terminal aswel as a container terminal?

cheers Craig 

about 6 weeks ago I think, as much of a surprise to me as it was to you, had a booked job out of there thinking it was a container train and when I arrived discovered it was a Stone train to Hindlow! 

I did know hams hall was getting a Stone terminal but I thought it was going on the spur to the old power station site which is still in situ 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Excellent shots Jim; these are really first rate:

21 hours ago, big jim said:

Not many from today, running late into basford hall due to a train failing on the Sutton park line and having to wait for it to be rescued then following it and another train signal to signal to walsall

it was light when I got to basford hall

FullSizeRender(85).jpg

FullSizeRender(84).jpg

And into peak forest where 37716 was doing some shunting 

IMG_2067.HEIC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

The 37s sound like a proper diesel..the 66s sound a bit... "wussie"..  

Baz

Mind you, the 37s were accelerating away whereas the 66 was coasting down to TV Junction.  They sound better under power, albeit still ‘different’.

Nice to see a glimpse of flashing for the turnout.

Paul.

Nice video of 37716 there, can't beat some good old "Tractor" thrash!

Although I'm scracthing my head at why it's being used at Peak Forest again when it wasn't deemed satisfactory when it did the same job three years ago, read that the loco was put under strain

At least it's something special, albeit it's about 300 miles away from me!

Jules

35 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

Then yesterday morning I hit a tree at Adderley Park at 80mph that was an interesting few minutes. 

Cheers 

Colin

Ouch. you Okay? We had a fair few trees down in S wales, but, we had a blanket 40mph speed restriction so didn't get any major incidents.

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, big jim said:

Walsall

IMG_2281.HEIC

Interesting to see that you are in the platform road.  I know they removed the stop blocks at the other end a while ago but despite that the passenger service still treats the line as a dead end.  Does much traffic get routed through the platform or was this a rare movement?

Never quite understood why the passenger service isn't concentrated on the island platform now both are through routes again, given the to Rugeley platform is inaccessible from the main station except by a tortuous walk out of the station before re-entering via the old parcels building.  Would make operation of the station much simpler.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah go through that quite a bit late at night, normally in the day there is a terminating unit in the platform so you cross at pleck

i remember not long after starting with colas I was working my first train through walsall having not done it for a while (a good 3 years!)  since the old fastline coal trains from ironbridge, I’d ‘refreshed’ the route and put it back on my card but not realised they had removed the blocks and it was now a through road. I came round from bescot on greens and into the station only to suddenly have that sinking feeling that I was heading up the dead end road into the (now non existent) buffer stops! 

I threw the brake in but then thought, hang in I’m running on greens so I can’t be heading to the blocks, I then crept into the platform before realising I could get all the way through! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

14 hours ago, big jim said:

The hardest thing with the new phone is keeping the lens free from grease or smudges, you can see in the first picture below how it effects the lights 

anyway some from this evening, RHTT rugby to Kings Norton, running mega early due to the passenger service being all over the place thanks to the storm last night

rugby 

IMG_2300.HEIC

Pretty much non stop to kings norton arriving in 2 hours early!

IMG_2301.HEIC

IMG_2303.HEIC

IMG_2304.HEIC

one stupid little light engine move tomorrow toton to bescot, hardly seems with coming in for! 

Saw this particular train from the Aston - Stechford line as we travelled towards Cov, passing beneath us towards Saltley. That would have made an interesting photo.......DB 90 on the blue/grey MK2's above!

Regards

Guy

• Like 1