Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Well a DMU but yeah, loads in there now including some of the ones I’ve driven that have been accepted but have had to be stored as they won’t be used until late next year 

there were a few 197s in there too, also noticed passing crewe gresty green that they have built a secure compound and there were two 197s parked up in there as well 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Should send that 60 picture to James Makin. No doubt he could replicate that in a couple of hours. Seeing the state of those 66’s one does wonder if we are seeing the end of diesels they look like steam engines in 1968………

Keith

• RMweb Premium

A question for Jim, or other drivers. When you get out the cab and take all these lovely photos of abandoned stations and things, do you know roughly how long you’ll be stopped for? Does the signaller radio and tell you you’ve got a hour wait? Or is it a question of keeping an eye on the signals and running like he’ll back to the cab if it turns green?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Mind me asking what would cause damage like that to the front of the 60?

I suspect it may have been left foul of another line and had something driven into it!

36 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

A question for Jim, or other drivers. When you get out the cab and take all these lovely photos of abandoned stations and things, do you know roughly how long you’ll be stopped for? Does the signaller radio and tell you you’ve got a hour wait? Or is it a question of keeping an eye on the signals and running like he’ll back to the cab if it turns green?

It’s just a case of keeping your eye on the signal, saying that the signaller told me I’d be a good few hours at small Heath when that happens they normally ring you before they pull off to give you the heads up so they can give you time to “put your rule book down” 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 6

My grandparents lived in Pleck and when we used to visit them, sometimes we'd catch the bus to Slaters Lane which runs parallel to the Pleck Jcn-Darlaston Jcn line.  Pleck station building on the road bridge was there well into the 1970s as I remember it distinctly, in fact you can see the location where they infilled the bridge parapet from the main Wednesbury Road.  Interesting to see it from track level.

Nadolig Llawen.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Merry Christmas, Jim!

Thanks for all your pictures this year, appreciate your efforts and especially for you and those who are working today to keep the network moving, that we as hobbists enjoy.

john

Seconded

Chris

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Ben B said:

You know when you see something that you just want to model?  I assume it's a road-rail tug unit of some sort?  Is it battery-electric?

It says "Powered by HVO" on the side - so it has a diesel engine at least

• Agree 1