Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

Just seen 60095 rumble through Blackburn about 90 minutes ago on the logs.

It's on my "to model" list as it's the only 60 I've travelled behind (I've already modelled the one I've driven!)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

interested how you work a non ERTMS loco on the cambrian?

is it only allowed because of the T3?

Indeed. Any loco with relevant RA can  run West of Sutton Bridge Jn as long as the ERTMS lines over which the movement is required to operate are under T3 possession. All other movements with ERTMS operational are restricted to NR Class 97 or ATW 158 units. 
  • Like 1

Indeed. Any loco with relevant RA can  run West of Sutton Bridge Jn as long as the ERTMS lines over which the movement is required to operate are under T3 possession. All other movements with ERTMS operational are restricted to NR Class 97 or ATW 158 units. 

The same situation applies to CTRL/HS1. Non-TVM fitted stock may use it,but only under possession; as the only circumstances where they would be expected to do so would be in connection with works, this isn't a problem.

• RMweb Gold

and a couple of WCR 37s too now, anything over RA can work down there but they have a few extra bridges to slow down over, when i used to go down there with DRS on the water cannon if we had "barclay" 20s on it we would have to slow down in certain locations as they were a higher RA than brush ones due to the extra fuel tank in the nose end (im sure ive got that the right way round re brush/barclay)

Edited by big jim

and a couple of WCR 37s too now, anything over RA can work down there but they have a few extra bridges to slow down over, when i used to go down there with DRS on the water cannon if we had "barclay" 20s on it we would have to slow down in certain locations as they were a higher RA than brush ones due to the extra fuel tank in the nose end (im sure ive got that the right way round re brush/barclay)

Brush and RFS 20/3s. Brush 20301-305 RA6 and 60mph, RFS 20306-315 RA5 and 75mph.

Edited by B Exam

Noticed today that Colas have wealded the paintbrush at 37116 and painted it in corporate colours. Bye bye the BR Blue it was wearing.

Apparently 37057 to be painted in a fortnights time into corporate colours.

I Must get out for 3Q18 to Thoresby Coll Jn in the morning as it should be 37057 top n tail 37116....

Noticed today that Colas have wealded the paintbrush at 37116 and painted it in corporate colours. Bye bye the BR Blue it was wearing.

Apparently 37057 to be painted in a fortnights time into corporate colours.

I Must get out for 3Q18 to Thoresby Coll Jn in the morning as it should be 37057 top n tail 37116....

Indeed it has, shame it didn't last long in Blue - Wasn't it only just repainted into BR Blue within the last year? Will be a shame if 057 does go into Colas colours though, it's nice to see a loco every now and again not on corporate colours, especially one done to such a high standard of restoration.

Anyway, here is a picture from the world of Flickr of 116.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42802953@N03/24502165422/in/photolist-Dkb18Y-CxeKrU-CxmuTR-CW9D2g-Cyr69Y-Cyr6bG-C7swHB-BGjhot-BT3UNf-ChSJzb-BmypB9-C9tM4u-BYEgeN-AeSVxV-AeDddh-AeDcQU-AxGWfx-ARyf6w-AcLGdC-ANHqhc-AaKaer-zRFAPY-AaJYGK-AaJRMH-ANaMj2-ALN594-ALN59V-ALN58n-A7N6WX-AKKG1R-AHs75G-A7kifT-AHRQem-AK3MXx-AFaRFq-zLzwrF-zLrdNS-AqRy5Y-AJyvTa-zLhVMy-AqHb4j-zLqtPe-AHcPmt-zL9YEy-zKXLuJ-ACotQU-ACop4Q-ACobgq-zHDBAE-Ao54eU

• RMweb Premium

I gota be honest, I think its abit of a shame that these big company's don't acknowledge the railways heritage and keep one or two examples in 'old colours' of some such from a bygone era.

Even the huge freight  hauliers in America like Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern  do it and have some stunning examples of repatriated liveries of past and long gone rail company's.

So much more interesting!

Saw 057 in Plymouth just a few days ago, what a great looking loco it is.

Edited by Gary H

If I remember correctly, when EWS started to get complaints from customers that they were sub-contracting out the work to other companies, namely Loadhaul, Mainline and Transrail. The customers wanted consistency, it was around this time that some massive yellow beasties stickers were ordered and applied.

This might not be the issue here but there will be some corporate thinking behind it. Plus I quite like the 37'sin colas livery

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

I gota be honest, I think its abit of a shame that these big company's don't acknowledge the railways heritage and keep one or two examples in 'old colours' of some such from a bygone era.

Even the huge freight  hauliers in America like Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern  do it and have some stunning examples of repatriated liveries of past and long gone rail company's.

So much more interesting!

Saw 057 in Plymouth just a few days ago, what a great looking loco it is.

Agreed - 37057 is a credit to all the put her into the current state

If I remember correctly, when EWS started to get complaints from customers that they were sub-contracting out the work to other companies, namely Loadhaul, Mainline and Transrail. The customers wanted consistency, it was around this time that some massive yellow beasties stickers were ordered and applied.

This might not be the issue here but there will be some corporate thinking behind it. Plus I quite like the 37'sin colas livery

Alistair

And unusually, DRS - well known for keeping everything in a corporate image - albeit a few varieties of it - is in the process of applying BR large logo blue to 37402 & 37403, as well as retaining 37401 in LL blue. (Having said that, the likely customers for these 37/4s are the general public and they aren't usually interested in what colour it is, as long as it's on time, comfy and clean!)

Cheers,

Mick

(who has a 37057 in the paintshop..............)

• RMweb Premium

Just as an observation Freightliner 66560 pictured above has received the new style Powerhaul writing on the front of the cab alike what the ex DRS now Freightliner 66/4s have. These been 66414, 416, 418 and 420. To my knowledge this is the first Freightliner 66/5 that hasn't received a repaint into Powerhaul livery but has the new style writing applied.

• RMweb Gold

Just as an observation Freightliner 66560 pictured above has received the new style Powerhaul writing on the front of the cab alike what the ex DRS now Freightliner 66/4s have. These been 66414, 416, 418 and 420. To my knowledge this is the first Freightliner 66/5 that hasn't received a repaint into Powerhaul livery but has the new style writing applied.

you really need to get out more!

Hi Jim,

You've taken some really nice pictures as usual, I'm particularly interested in the shots of Bescot yard  as I can use them for a bit of inspiration for my layout. Now at the risk of embarrassing myself can I ask you a question on signalling in the yard. I note that in the pictures there are no visible signals, so I was wondering is there one signal at the exit of the span of sidings and shunting movements/permissions are authorised by the shunter up to that point?  I'm just trying to work out if I can get away with just having two way radios,  stop boards (I can see the back of a sign in one of the pictures) or similar or will have to use GPS or standard aspect signals.??  

Sorry for the questions...   

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

You've taken some really nice pictures as usual, I'm particularly interested in the shots of Bescot yard  as I can use them for a bit of inspiration for my layout. Now at the risk of embarrassing myself can I ask you a question on signalling in the yard. I note that in the pictures there are no visible signals, so I was wondering is there one signal at the exit of the span of sidings and shunting movements/permissions are authorised by the shunter up to that point?  I'm just trying to work out if I can get away with just having two way radios,  stop boards (I can see the back of a sign in one of the pictures) or similar or will have to use GPS or standard aspect signals.??  

Sorry for the questions...   

movements within the yard are controlled by the person in charge, he authorises movements towards the exit signals at various points aorund the different areas of the yard, he controls stop boards on certain roads too too, you have to get his permission to move past them towards the exit signals on those roads, lots of possibilities of conflicting moves to be had!