Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

When Lynne was working on the signalling systems for CTRL Section 2 at CSEE in Paris, a couple of French lads were preparing to leave for Mach to commission the ERTMS; she spent some time teaching them how to pronounce the names to avoid upsetting the locals. She also taught a couple to sing Hen Wlad F'yn Nhadau, so that we had some moral support at Stade De France for the rugby..

When my team was out there doing the telecoms at the same time we had real trouble with all the crossing names and just used the numbers assigned instead.

The signallers at Mach thought it was funny.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just some iPhone pics from today, derby to carlisle with a test train transit move

First up had to collect it from etches park after tyre turning, it was blocked in by 66846 which I moved out to the station yard51D75908-061E-4818-B0D5-EB313B99F90B.jpg

Then it was away to Carlisle via uttoxeter, stoke, crewe etc, had a good run with it basically none stop from stoke to Carlisle (apart from 2 mins waiting for the single line between alsager and crewe) Very slack timing meant I left derby 3 1/2 hours late and got to Carlisle 45 mins early! 33C5BA07-AACA-4BD7-80D6-BED9C75B2EC2.jpgCB86E763-DB27-452D-B43D-EF992FBA2BA7.jpg4A593DA9-B541-4B79-8E05-F92D6179D6CA.jpg

Mission complete!

Ertms course the rest of the week, next week could be an interesting one either going to be learning something on the southern region or teaching someone something in Inverness!!

We are short of drivers down here!

• RMweb Premium

About 4 pages back (post #3269) I posted a shot of 37116 at Peterborough and I was asked, on the next page, about the signal in the foreground. Well, here is a better view of it taken from an HST as it approached platform 3. And before you ask I wasn't hanging out of the door window, in fact only about half of my pocket camera was protruding hence the large chunk of coach body on the right hand side of the frame.

You can just see the signal that this repeats at the south end of the platform. I was at the rear of the train by the way.

a767cb37-7983-4ef5-bfd2-45dda6e0e472_zps

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just a small question/thought, why does 97303 have what looks like a radioactive warning sticker next to the main headlight?

It's actually this

97F7F880-F529-461A-85D8-9E644786DE1A.jpg

Basically it transmits radio waves from a Doppler radar to determine the speed of the loco (one of 3 speed pickups on a 97) which has to be turned off if your working in its vicinity

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I may have a trip up there soon and have a look around as it's been a few years since I was last there I think it was a model railway show  that had a DRS themed layout on show and seen as my instructor is on leave next week I should be doing some front end turns (pointless really) so it'll be camera in the bag and have a little jolly instead of the usual Northampton or Redditch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A surprise to see the Arriva loco hauled set at Shrewsbury. I thought it normally worked between the North coast and Crewe etc.

Nice pics of the Cambrian section. Have a nice day today - good weather for a change.

So more Little Jims from Allan B on the way then (that may need explaining to some of your fans!).

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

The arriva 67 is a booked train, it runs south in the morning and returns to Holyhead in the evening, first DB 67 I've seen on it though

Just a couple from today, been down as far as Newtown and caught the passenger back to derby to collect my van from Monday's job!

37A5C5FC-0FC6-4A8C-A9C2-97CCC8471F4B.jpg

F06EBCE5-B5F1-40B6-BBD5-E1C94406AFCF.jpg

One more day of it tomorrow before a week away from it to do other things but Inverness is a no no next week now thankfully!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Derby shunt today, managed to drive most of the colas fleet (and 37025) in the space of a few hours!

This doesn't happen very often, 37175 was just out of view too

6299B654-4118-46E3-96D8-959D34E471C0.jpg

37057 arriving in on the rear of a UTU train

9955BAC1-54D8-4EAC-8B82-A54B5CBB4844.jpg

I have three out of the six  - is that enough?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Nope that will be 601/602 I recon, I'm on it though

Ah right thanks very much, i'll be either at Red Bank (Near Golborne Jnct) WBQ, Moore (Near Acton Grange JNct) or Hartford Junction for it.

• RMweb Gold

I got 057 at 05:20 this morning

thats it rub it in!

just looking at my thursday job ive actually got to take the 37s to windermere, morecambe, blackpool south and blackpool north amongst other places

i think on the quiet someone in planning is seeing how many costal resorts i can visit in a month, lowestoft, barmouth, pwllheli, llandudno, blackpool and morecambe so far!