Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

just one pic from today from the iphone, i have some on the proper camera that ill upload when i get home

this is an unusual crossing, i believe the one of only a handful in the country, an AOCL + B crossing in fairbourne

79D03304-7468-4CB0-9544-F272F7406131.jpg

discuss.......

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

just one pic from today from the iphone, i have some on the proper camera that ill upload when i get home

this is an unusual crossing, i believe the one of only a handful in the country, an AOCL + B crossing in fairbourne

discuss.......

According to NR the last two of the programme of 66 conversions to equip high risk AOCL crossings with barriers was completed in December last year.  The one on our branch was done some time back and was done very quickly, just a couple of weeks from start of work to commissioning.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2015/dec/programme-complete-barriers-open-crossings/

• RMweb Gold

those are the fellas mike, its the contradictory name that makes me smile, automatic open crossing (with barriers)!

apparently the upgrade costs a lot less than completley replacing an AOCL with a conventional barrier crossing

According to NR the last two of the programme of 66 conversions to equip high risk AOCL crossings with barriers was completed in December last year.  The one on our branch was done some time back and was done very quickly, just a couple of weeks from start of work to commissioning.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2015/dec/programme-complete-barriers-open-crossings/

I know the Matt Pitts Lane one in Wainfleet, been there a few times in the dark recently so hadn't really noticed the barrier
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

those are the fellas mike, its the contradictory name that makes me smile, automatic open crossing (with barriers)!

apparently the upgrade costs a lot less than completley replacing an AOCL with a conventional barrier crossing

It is a lot cheaper as basically the barrier units are little more than an add-on with the existing circuitry still controlling the crossing if my understanding is correct

• RMweb Gold

It is a lot cheaper as basically the barrier units are little more than an add-on with the existing circuitry still controlling the crossing if my understanding is correct

Your understanding is correct.

Paul.

No I never thought to take any of the station!

No problem Jim. I was half thinking about modelling it , but really I haven't enough space at that end of the layout. :l Allways enjoy your photos ,more Cambrian tho please ;)

Kev

• RMweb Gold

Had a well deserved weekend off with my works mobile switched off!

However one pic from a work collegue, 56302 has made its way back north from minehead and worked a Bescot to sutton brifmdge ballast at the weekend

29FC647A-67C2-4456-882A-5A415877B365.jpg

In tonight, recording round Birmingham all night, even a trip to ridditch with a couple of 37s!

• Like 16

just a couple from yesterday, a rare old beast, a coal train!

this was running ferrybridge ps to fiddlers ferry so i can only assume they are emptying coal stocks from there

083EA820-32F9-417C-BE9D-CCB71A233641.png

AFF740E8-4D89-4BDF-B373-C3582C1B005C.png

and a vid

Behind where you must have been standing should be the remains of the bay line into what was Platform 7, I only noticed the other day that the trackwork is still there (in part anyway). Other than some blockwork, not sure if anything else of the Low Level remains.

• RMweb Gold

Behind where you must have been standing should be the remains of the bay line into what was Platform 7, I only noticed the other day that the trackwork is still there (in part anyway). Other than some blockwork, not sure if anything else of the Low Level remains.

The siding at the back was named one-hand/up (name varies) siding and was taken out of use about 10 years ago when the switch diamonds were installed

post-6662-0-41922800-1467365019_thumb.jpg