Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, more class 70 training which we incorporated with a rescue mission

Wrexham

post-226-0-57317500-1513207724_thumb.jpeg

Where we set off to crewe to collect 60002 which upon arrival at chirk last night they discovered the points were frozen so it had to run to crewe to stable, however by the time it got there it was almost out of fuel, certainly not enough to get back to chirk again where it would normally refuel

We dropped onto the loco and pulled it out into the mainline before changing ends and using it to head back into post-226-0-35026200-1513207901_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-81890400-1513208005_thumb.jpeg

From there we went into LNWR for fuel

post-226-0-20734400-1513208048_thumb.jpeg

Where while the 60 was fuelling we ran the 70 to the other end so it would lead off the yard into the station, meaning the 60 was then leading back to the train

post-226-0-25322500-1513208130_thumb.jpeg

As we were putting it back on the opposite end to the one we took it off in readiness for it heading to chirk via Chester

post-226-0-18061700-1513208194_thumb.jpeg

Detached the 70 and took that back to coleham before jumping back in my van to crewe to do a brake test on the log train!

Final day of training tomorrow with the 70 then a week off using up my annual

Leave

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, Wolverhampton to coleham wth a UTU via the oxley chord

there was a 350 in wolves in the new LNWR livery, looks a proper dogs dinner in my opinion!

post-226-0-32444100-1513621664_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-91785600-1513621694_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-70106000-1513621723_thumb.jpeg

Round to oxley and back down to bushbury

post-226-0-30434800-1513621776_thumb.jpeg

And away to shrewsbury

post-226-0-97091800-1513621859_thumb.jpeg

After that I did a bit of road refreshing to Machynlleth and stayed on to Barmouth

Sunset from Barmouth bridge

post-226-0-81040700-1513621958_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-34381100-1513622024_thumb.jpeg

And back to my mums in llwyngwril for the night

post-226-0-76355100-1513622185_thumb.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not liking the green ends, they don't do anything for the colour scheme or the unit's looks, nor for safety for that matter.  I quite like the sides though, but as with another recent one (I can't think which one now) that featured lots of vertical blocks, I couldn't help wondering whether they really think these things through:  Contrasting doors to make them easier to see for visually impaired people - in this case, a dark upright block colour on a light background.  Then add more dark and bright colours in similar vertical blocks.  Isn't that just confusing?  I mean, those who can tell a dark green door from a dark green block are probably not visually impaired enough to need the colour to see which part is the door, while those who can see very little and need the change of colour won't be able to tell which dark green block is a door and which isn't...

• RMweb Premium

Must be  a great set of Magnets on that loco to keep it on the track.

Hat, Coat, hard hat on and running for the nearest exit.

Terry.

You could call it Magnedhesion. Darn it someone's thought of that before.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not liking the green ends, they don't do anything for the colour scheme or the unit's looks, nor for safety for that matter.

I thought it was decided that yellow front ends were no longer required for safety because the intensity of the lights on the front means that the yellow is overpowered by the lights, even during daylight.

I thought it was decided that yellow front ends were no longer required for safety because the intensity of the lights on the front means that the yellow is overpowered by the lights, even during daylight.

No.

Only if the headlights are in a triangular formation and of a certain brightness can the yellow end be dispensed with, a class 350s headlights most certainly does not comply with those regs.

Dispensing with the yellow ends on any old stock is not an option.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Some from today, Wolverhampton to coleham wth a UTU via the oxley chord

there was a 350 in wolves in the new LNWR livery, looks a proper dogs dinner in my opinion!

Have to agree.

Its time these TOC's learnt that these "fiz bang" vinyl's should be left on buses not trains!

Atleast some are starting to realise it.

Contrasting doors to make them easier to see for visually impaired people - in this case, a dark upright block colour on a light background.  Then add more dark and bright colours in similar vertical blocks.  Isn't that just confusing?  I mean, those who can tell a dark green door from a dark green block are probably not visually impaired enough to need the colour to see which part is the door, while those who can see very little and need the change of colour won't be able to tell which dark green block is a door and which isn't...

You might have thought when designing for the visually impaired they might have consulted the visually impaired.

I'm not saying they haven't but ......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple from today, a quick blast between crewe and derby with a test train transit move

Black 5 in crewe

post-226-0-83223800-1514069423_thumb.jpeg

And in derby on what would have been my last trip down the goods lines as they are getting ripped up on Monday, photo taken from what used to be the carriage sidings too!

37116 leading

post-226-0-67588700-1514069507_thumb.jpeg

And 37057 the other end (before I climbed up and put the lights on

post-226-0-80132600-1514069564_thumb.jpeg

Got some more pics on thebproper camera that I may upload tomorrow

And that’s me until Christmas Day when I’ve got an old oak common to bescot engineers job

• Like 19

no, not me, im in later on, 23:00 off greenford to bescot, just gearing myself up the van drive down to london!

Ahh, I shall be snoozing in my bed by then. I see there is was A Colas van in the staff car park at Banbury this morning though the train I saw shot right through though I did see the tail of one train on the up later the same morning.

• RMweb Gold

Not my van, mine is currently sat in the Heathrow express depot at old oak common, got to go back and collect it the early hours of Wednesday morning after dropping some locos off at Hinksey first

Only managed one pic tonight, my loco 70808 in Bescot after I had shunted the auto hoppers away and stabled it with a couple of 60s

post-226-0-96609600-1514257403_thumb.jpeg

It’s one of the locos I’ve got to go back and collect later today and take to Hinksey (5 locos in total so I believe)

• Like 13

Not my van, mine is currently sat in the Heathrow express depot at old oak common, got to go back and collect it the early hours of Wednesday morning after dropping some locos off at Hinksey first

Only managed one pic tonight, my loco 70808 in Bescot after I had shunted the auto hoppers away and stabled it with a couple of 60s

attachicon.gif98002FB7-1AA7-43D4-B1FA-6A627F8C35FE.jpeg

It’s one of the locos I’ve got to go back and collect later today and take to Hinksey (5 locos in total so I believe)

In return for working the holiday, Santa decided to gift you with the entire network to yourself.

What does it feel like.

• Like 1