Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Then eventually I got to bescot where the 70 went into its train and the 60 was moved across to go into its light engine move to Barnetby

Possibly the one captured with another 60 and a 70 going through Lincoln Central then.  002 leading with 70806 bringing up the rear.   Sadly not seen by me as I have still yet to see a 70 in real life actually moving.  Only seen the roof of one in the sidings at Barnetby.  Elusive things they are!

• RMweb Premium

Possibly the one captured with another 60 and a 70 going through Lincoln Central then.  002 leading with 70806 bringing up the rear.   Sadly not seen by me as I have still yet to see a 70 in real life actually moving.  Only seen the roof of one in the sidings at Barnetby.  Elusive things they are!

I think its a combination of their small size and a livery which easily blends into the background, Chris, it makes them hard to spot.

Some from yesterday/this morning

Supposed to do a one way bescot to Hinksey turn which then turned into a 3 way trip which then turned into a 2 way trip!

Basically got to Hinksey with 4 70s, shunted about and headed north with a 70/60 combo only to be greeted by a red signal at harbury as the train in front had hit a tree, and there I stood for 2 1/2 hours!

attachicon.gif65D757C0-6EEA-47F1-9D73-AD7ACB8B5697.jpeg

Eventually headed north but got stopped before and then at Hatton due to more fallen trees

attachicon.gifED57EAF8-18FD-4E33-98B8-67D201EB8D60.jpeg

Then a chiltern train dropped in and deposited all its passengers there before heading abcknsouth, they were stood on the platform for a good 30 mins before a LM service arrived to take them forward

attachicon.gif0AE80DFC-E204-4F07-AEAC-07A5A19E25EB.jpeg

Then eventually I got to bescot where the 70 went into its train and the 60 was moved across to go into its light engine move to Barnetby

attachicon.gif898DA3CD-3917-4C95-B821-A63D39D8062D.jpeg

There was also an EWS trip working to Toton about to depart which also had a pair of Colas 60s in the consist

attachicon.gifC93814B1-1322-4DD5-B376-77D885A9FC24.jpeg

attachicon.gif29BE2062-D778-4B2A-B2A4-E9F256ADFC7C.jpeg

Ah yes, 'Bottom Slip' roads one to five, scene of many a kip waiting for the 'RA' on our 6V25 job to Hinksey!

• Like 1

It was 4E91 that went into lumberjack mode and ended up disabled and awaiting assistance. Not surprising considering it hit not one but, unbeknown to the driver, two in quick succession! Did wave to you as I came down the access at three arch bridge but doubt you saw me. Got to nearly the rear of the train as someone was in the process of doing a brake test and started cutting up a tree just at the rear of the 4E91 with a handsaw. The man from Offtrack was not to happy having cleared 'the' tree that was underneath the train and then having to walk back to retrieve his chainsaw to help with the other tree. The driver on the Chiltern (1H03) was a bit startled when you slid by us as he did not realise 4E91 had moved! Not the biggest delay to Chilterns that day, that was down to trouble with one of their units around Neasden. After Harbury it was off to a tree brushing against down trains at Prospect Road at Leamington. Glad to say the trees around Hatton where someone elses baby!

I had a lucky escape as I should have been 5 mins in front of the train that hit the trees, it could have been me!

I was on a XC HST once that hit a tree (just north of Penrith) the noise of the crunch moving underneath the train wasn't so worrying what was really disconcerting was all the ballast flying in all directions enough to make you wonder if we had derailed.

By all accounts what we had hit was more tree fall than tree and no match for a HST but it was enough to make me think I would hate to hit a big b****r.

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder what had happened listening to the radio 2 this morning as Sally traffic mentioned an ‘operational incident’ had halted trains in that area, I believe it’s been moved now though

Looks like it's at Ely - theres a 1Z86 showing on the live diagrams and this is logged against 1Q99

Cancelled at ELY SIGNAL CA259 (07:58) due to FCDRIVER

(Freight train driver)

• RMweb Gold

anyhoo, just 3 from last night

crewe-manchester-crewe-lichfield-derby, had to turn the train so it was loco leading onto the RTC so went over to drakelow on the moira branch (which is as far as i sign down there for turning moves) only to find the points had no power so had to sit and wait for an hour while someone came out to manually pump them over and clip and scotch them then when i got derby (an hour late) the station was in darkness having just suffered a huge powercut!

crewe, ready to head north

DSCF4143%202.jpg

and a couple from manchester

DSCF4148202.jpg

DSCF4145202.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Been on the logs for a couple of days so haven’t bothered with pics other than these 2 from Tuesday

8B4E0810-E0D9-4A89-A9E5-3D39B5ABBDF8.jpg

51E18470-8076-4AFB-8F0D-14C5643ED70F.jpg

Ran late that night so had to go via Wolverhampton and Cannock to get back north

Back to IM tonight, another trip to Manchester Piccadilly via stoke and Macclesfield this time

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I just haven’t had the chance to do it, I could really do with getting it sorted as I can then work the logs but also I sometimes get the NMT along there and have to be conducted, I don’t fancy doing hellifield to Leeds though, not too bad a route but Leeds itself terrifies me!!

My next bit of road learning is the Cambrian beyond Machynlleth and then I want to get little bits of missing ‘corners’ in such as kidsgrove to cheadle hulme (which I’m in tonight so need conducting) and edge hill to Lime st, maybe New st to reddich too to ‘complete’ birmingham

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure ive go them as physical copies that we got sent when the scheme was finalised but electronic would be useful

TBH I need to get a refresh day to new st asap with the new signalling from Tipton and round soho etc now in commission