Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Guest theonlydt

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Reading the news report above, I was expecting to see pictures of Class 66s in your pictures from last night. How easy is it to get a dent out of a Class 37?

61UNaySLnZL._SY355_.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Re that headline about the freight train and sheds, the only problem is that while we have plenty of sheds we don't have any freight trains. It was suggested that it may have been a tamper. otherwise presumably one of the NR yellow 37s.

Jonathan

Edit - was that photo of the loco that hit the sheds between Shrewsbury and Welshpool? I didn't put two and two together at first.

Edited by corneliuslundie

Hi Jim, great photos of around Cheadle Heath. The photo of what you thought might have been Heaton Mersey shed was in fact the locally known Gorsey Bank housing estate finally demolished in the late 80s/early 90s and the site now being redeveloped as Aurora business park. The sheds were over on the other side of the River Mersey now covered by light industrial units and the M60 (formerly M63). Not much left of Cheadle Heath at all now.

The old Cheadle (North) station has nicely been done out as the Cheshire Lines pub and has a great lineside view.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, handling run to Machynlleth Doing ERTMS training

A slightly bent 97304 doing the honours

40648FDA-CE2C-4383-A889-201D86A8681D.jpg

Machynlleth (in the rain of course)

01AAD749-5F60-4A1A-9DAD-D531533BD009.jpg

2C20A2A7-104C-456B-8433-2AF30FA6484E.jpg

Welshpool waiting for the passenger service to arrive before getting the road to shrewsbury

BE64AC66-306E-4B08-B4B2-0C2FF6249469.jpg

F184AB03-682E-49A6-9D7E-3226F79BA2F9.jpg

And for those who’s never seen it the ERTMS screen in the loco

4BF9CE8C-E17C-4561-969A-174E34BDEAD1.jpg

Countdown marker on the left (the 40 is the distance in meters from the block marker I was stopped at) the 2 below is the ERTMS level, then Kmh speedo, the oval in a square tells me I’m in ‘full supervision’ mode, finally the blue bit is your planning area which shows you how far ahead the route is ‘open’ to you

The display is set to 4000 meters ahead but the route isn’t open yet (in simple terms I’ve not got the ‘token’ to enter the next section) the white circle/triangle symbol with the light blue but below near the bottom is the end of my authority, once it ‘opens’ the planning area will light up light blue allowing me to continue my journey and my maximum speed allowed is shown as a dial around the speedo edge

The planning area also shows me speed reductions by the light blue area not extending right across to the block, as I approach the restriction I get a beep and the dial around the speedo changes colour between my current speed and my required speed, it then starts to count down and the dial around the edge drops and I have to keep my speed below the top of the dial to avoid the brakes coming on (that is called the braking curve), once off the restriction it then reopens the outer dial to my upper maximum speed and I can open it up to line speed again!

It’s like a modern (but not that modern) version of the chiltern ATP system but a lot more complicated!

Back to it tomorrow, picking up a tamper from Newtown to take to tallerddig

• Like 6

Thanks for explaining ERTMS Jim, that's the first time I've seen it properly explained. Do you reckon it'll make route learning easier and quicker in future, since the speed limits are dictated to the train display and variable dependant on traffic ahead rather than driving to speed boards and signals?

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Spent many a week on the Cambrian getting it ready for ERTMS

Seen plenty of these then!

86264765-51DB-4BE5-8477-9F94A62B2727.jpg

7A2DD153-445D-428B-A2E8-1190EDE3B284.jpg

Yesterday really frustrated me down there, I’m struggling with it all, hopefully it will click into place soon but it flummoxed me yesterday doing out of course stuff

• Like 1

Seen plenty of these then!

86264765-51DB-4BE5-8477-9F94A62B2727.jpg

7A2DD153-445D-428B-A2E8-1190EDE3B284.jpg

Yesterday really frustrated me down there, I’m struggling with it all, hopefully it will click into place soon but it flummoxed me yesterday doing out of course stuff

Did you load the ERTMS cassette first, it won't work without that.

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, went as far as Welshpool to have a play with the ground frame and seeing how to ‘run round’

Coleham

64455712-A056-4F73-99F7-59DBAE561450.jpg

Welshpool locked away in the siding

CF1DF857-4609-46E8-A6B7-4E9B97330F11.jpg

I then operated the groundframe to allow it back out when the line was clear and we headed back towards shrewsbury

62193226-7A62-44BF-AF9C-1790CB51DC8C.jpg

Got the hang of it today combining it with the paperwork day we had yesterday so I’m ready to be signed off on it now

• Like 12