Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim, 

More excellent video from Twitter of the Independent Snow Ploughs 

https://twitter.com/ThankertonBarry/status/969561732560703489

Saw that at work earlier (we monitor Traffic Scotland, Scotrail, etc on Twitter to try and predict demand and delays, I wasn't just skiving!) and had to wonder how the driver could see where he was going  :O

Edited by JDW

• RMweb Premium

Saw that at work earlier (we monitor Traffic Scotland, Scotrail, etc on Twitter to try and predict demand and delays, I wasn't just skiving!) and had to wonder how the driver could see where he was going  :O

Similar to driving in the dark or dense fog I'd have thought. Knowing the road and relying on AWS for signals.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

More snowplough duties today....

Started off in crewe and over to gresty to pick up the ploughs 55B9C626-B033-4B2A-B40F-59C5D624BA7D.jpg

Shunted into place with a 6877BAD05C-A032-43D6-9A66-D2C1CC1F3376.jpg7261504B-5441-4941-B443-0EF985238E58.jpg

As you can there there is absolutely no snow in crewe at all!C15B544C-2AC4-404E-84D6-95FAC1492363.jpg

Into Stockport540EBD6C-CC48-454E-96E4-F8FD195C1B91.jpg71F558C0-7999-45F8-880D-D02B8994C8CD.jpg

Then over to chinley, waiting for the NR track staff to get on board, still only a smattering of snow here5F510C4F-7287-4A9F-B6CB-0492506EAF8C.jpg

Then it was round to peak forest, great rocks and into buxton, the tunnel at peak forest was horrendous for icicles, had to creep through breaking them off slowly with the loco, only a few drifts to contend with010ED364-5D6E-499B-8EFF-73ED170D4551.jpg

Happy traincrew40A7C6B3-3B7D-47FD-8604-06A1014C2669.jpg

It was then into the station area for a run back down to hazel groveA0F40750-7B73-4A78-A029-29ED6E29955A.jpg

I back cabbed it to hazel grove then took it back to buxton, just before the station we did a left and headed up to Hindlow as there had been reports of some ‘serious drifts’ which sure enough we found, probably half a dozen or so, 10-20ft deep and fairly long in places, plenty of power and not too much speed saw us get through without issue all the way to the stopboards at Hindlow quarry F101592F-E95E-4464-85FA-937E227D0DA0.jpgDSCF4210.jpgDSCF4212.jpgDSCF4213.jpg

Back into buxton sidingsDSCF4217.jpg

Then away to peak forest again, this is the tunnel entrance all iced up just to get an idea of what we were having to deal with!3100BCE8-1AAB-489E-AE04-CC349D6C6677.jpg

Similarly in the tunnel, 20ft icicles in placesDF09A42F-C7DE-4154-832B-0CF086603037.jpg

It was then back to chinley, new mills, guide bridge, Stockport and back to gresty bridge to drop the ploughs off and leave the locos for collection on Sunday

Later today I’m either heart of wales or Stratford upon Avon route proving with a 97!

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for posting yet more fantastic photos. Ballast train one week, ETRMS/ETCS another week, and now snow ploughing and knocking off icicles with a loco in tunnels! A great variety of jobs and routes. With perhaps the "unsocial" hours aside, I bet you really look forward to your next shift as it most likely will be completely different from the last one!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 3

Love the photos of the ploughs doing the job they are designed for. I was on IZ57 The Yorkshireman behind Oliver Cromwell and the first and possible only train east bound all day over Harringworth Viaduct. Lots of snow all day but especially to the east of the viaduct. Great day despite slow return most likely caused by dragging dead 47 at the front and 37 on the rear of the train.

We have had problems on the Calder Line at Summit Tunnel. The two ISP's are dumped round the back of Holgate and they using Beilhacks out of York which are useless for clearing the tunnels. Some may remember TPE having one of there units strike ice in Summit a few years ago

Edited by 25901

• RMweb Premium

I was told yesterday that a 37 has had an extra piece of steel added above a cab to act as an icicle breaker but that was just a conversation in the dinner queue at Kettering Gog show. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about but I've no independent verification.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I was told yesterday that a 37 has had an extra piece of steel added above a cab to act as an icicle breaker but that was just a conversation in the dinner queue at Kettering Gog show. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about but I've no independent verification.

Jamie

It's called a roof mounted air horn.........

Saw the S&C pair of DRS 66 through Settle earlier today. Lots of snow on the lead plough.

They went and cleared the Rylstone branch before doing the Little NW to Carnforth. They were due to tackle the down S&C after that.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It's called a roof mounted air horn.........

Saw the S&C pair of DRS 66 through Settle earlier today. Lots of snow on the lead plough.

They went and cleared the Rylstone branch before doing the Little NW to Carnforth. They were due to tackle the down S&C after that.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick They came back and reversed at Settle Junction and are now north of Blea Moor heading back to Carlisle.

Jamie

Oh, Jim, "terminological inexactitude" in post 4631 02/03/2018!

Macc = Macclesfield in Cheshire (usually good exhibition this weekend 10/11 03/2018)

Mach = Machynlleth in Wales. The Sons of Glyndwr have been informed.

Crackin' tales & photos of your travels.

To Buxton. On the "Wessy" you'd have been @100 yards from my previous front garden, through Disley tunnel a bit further away from my previous back garden. Did you also break the ice on The Peak Forest Canal?

I remember some years ago photographing on Disley Station in similar conditions. I was on the platform end taking "meaningful" shots of the icicles in the tunnel, when a 37 came light engine down from Buxton scattering the icicles. I got the shot, quickly turned my back and waited for the icicles to impale themselves. I lived to tell the tale.

We appreciate your and colleagues hard work in such conditions.

You must sign for the Cambrian Coast, it's beautiful, although raining for your trip down here tonight.

Please continue your adventures & excellent reports & photographs. What "Big Jim did next" is required reading.

Ian.

• Like 1