Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

The Eastleigh blokes take M40 as far as Birmingham (Landor St I think) but that knowledge further south will come in handy if you need to relieve it earlier due to late running. I think something similar happened the other day when it left us rather late

Jo

Congratulations Jim. Maybe a ‘best of’ post would bring this amazing thread to an end when the time comes...saying that I look forward to ‘Down by the tracks woth GBRF’ already!

• RMweb Gold

Had one of those days today, a nice little van positioning job, leave it in Llandrindod for when I arrive there tomorrow with the 950 unit, got there for 13:00 only to find the next train was due at 17:00!

Went for a drive to Builth wells which was in full swing preparing for the royal welsh show next week, shocked to see how much of the town was fenced off and speaking to a shop keeper she said there is that much trouble in the evenings they fence areas off, her shop was closing for the duration of the show too!

I last visited the show in 1993 and stayed in the young people’s village and admittedly I don’t remember much as ‘I was very very drunk’ but I do remember seeing 37s crossing the river bridge at the far end of the field and as at the time I wasn’t really into railways I didn’t know what line it was and didn’t care really but it’s funny to look back 25 years down the line and now be driving the same locos on the same line (10 miles north of there)

I went for a drive to Builth road station too but didn’t bother with any pics but I’ve finally seen the place where the lines crossed at 90 degrees (heart of wales and Hereford-Rhayader line), the pub is now a private residence

Then went back to Llandrindod to wait another 2 hours for the train home

Station building

36EE5115-2C89-457D-9A2C-5DCDFBEF7564.jpg

Signal box (not in its original position, it used to be at the crossing towards craven arms)

The grey building is the token exchange point

3EA16224-607A-4AA3-87D1-2B177A97A7C2.jpg

So TRU back there tomorrow and a night in the famous ‘metropole’ hotel before a cambrian ballast out of Aberystwyth on Sunday!

I can pretty much guarantee it will be my final trip to Llandrindod and possibly my final cambrian this weekend before I leave

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We have just had a visit from Colas in our road.

No we didn't get a class 70 or a class 37, just a flat bed lorry with some guys doing what the company originally started out doing.

Laying COLd ASphelt (hence the name)

I've enjoyed your thread with Colas (and previously with Chiltern) so good luck with your new adventure with GBRF.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

Jim

This SRPS Rail tour with 025 was GBrf operated and 025 has been to Blackpool via the S&C so a few routes you sign

You will just have to convince GBrf on the merits of getting a couple of 37s

Was rumors 901 was going team GB but that seems not to be the case now

post-3832-0-66107100-1532976438_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Which one is missing nameplates, 8F or 37?

It’s currently looking like my final job with Colas is going to be next Thursday and it’s very nicely the NMT to Holyhead and back, a nice way to bow out if it happens

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with your move to GBRf, Jim.

If I remember correctly from when you explained your 'route card' previously, you don't sign the Calder Valley or Standedge routes across the Pennines?  Is that likely to change with your move to GBRf?

• RMweb Premium

More like the 37 shoving the 8F! :yes:

I’m off to see the Scarborough Spa on Thursday, this could well be on it.

Jack.

It was definitely pushing northbound earlier through Settle.

I think Scarborough Spa has been 35018 for the last few weeks.

Which one is missing nameplates, 8F or 37?

It’s currently looking like my final job with Colas is going to be next Thursday and it’s very nicely the NMT to Holyhead and back, a nice way to bow out if it happens

Oops sorry yeah, 48151. Thought it carried the name 'Gauge O Guild'.

Good luck in the new job :)