Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

You certainly are experiencing a different driving life now hope its working out for you?

It’s certainly not as varied as Colas at the moment but I can’t expect to be doing everything under the sun as I’ve only been here 2 months, the iport job is a difficult one to cover as there are only 2 of us west mids drivers who sign it at the moment, so it’s stuck between us and the other guy is annual leave this week so I’ve copped for it, not sure what’s happening next week as he’s rest day and I’ve got leave for a couple of days coz of the funeral

The main thing is now once I get off the loco that’s it, work doesn’t come home with me anymore no assessments to fill out, drivers problems to deal with, timesheets to fill out and print off and that’s what makes the difference, not that I’m home much this week!

So, couple of pics

Morning coleshill shot for a change

2D41351D-2C7D-4ABF-AC23-4D3B67DABB62.jpg

And back again in the evening

992FD4E1-5706-40EE-88B9-4438A9206A2E.jpg

Bit of a change later........no not really, 66749 to the iport and back again, although next week I do have 2 days of mountsorrel instead of iport jobs, just copped for it on the Saturday

Jim thats a superb photo of the 66 at iport Doncaster mate is that with the D-SLR

No that’s an iPhone 6 picture

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Just 2 from today

Kilnhurst loop

041037C0-2B63-4D89-A515-E30A1B50EF41.jpg

And back to Landor st and away to a hotel before my final trip to iport this week in the morning

7770CBAC-A1E2-40AE-9F88-5891F548092F.jpg

That shot at Kilnhurst brings back some memories Jim of trying to see what shunters were in the little works there for upgrades back in the late 80's early 90's. Is there still a works there.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The old Yorkshire engine place, the building is still there and being used as an engineering works but no tracks any more, they were there during my fastline days (2010) but gone by the time I started going back up there with Colas (2013)

I also vaguely remember the place in the 80s and remember sometimes passing it and sometimes not on the way to doncaster but it wasn’t until I started driving up there I realised it was on the thyborough loop so if you went via swinton you missed seeing it

A quick silly question Jim if I may. I was looking at a cab ride video Shrewsbury to Machynlleth last night. It shows a loop being used between Shrewsbury and Welshpool. Is this loop still in use and where is it located?

Thanks

Keith

BTW how are you getting on with your DSLR

• RMweb Gold

One from yesterday, Landor st to mountsorrel and back with a stone train

68B73211-171F-4A0E-AAE5-3326E67649F6.jpg

And today warrington to Landor st with a cement train

323 unit

073A1974-1847-4845-9ECC-03D641364942.jpg

New and old livery voyagers

E3E47545-C44C-448E-815E-D3BA868B4B4E.jpg

D4C885CE-7DB5-4444-9D26-44F90C9F965C.jpg

Bin liner passing through

D452779B-2677-4A91-8067-600BCCA95824.jpg

My train arriving in

73FB5FC7-AF3D-460E-A787-8C84F61334CC.jpg

And into Landor st

FAB5A3E8-62F0-47B9-AADF-D00750C58263.jpg

Iport job tomorrow but only from decoy to the iport and back to Roberts road!

Bit of variety next week with a scrap train Landor st to Liverpool docks (I’m looking at you mr Delamar!) and the tanks over the s+c again as well as a couple of trips to iport

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Self- thunderbird !

Are there any duties booked for 2x 66 in multi Jim ?

not that im aware of apart from top and tail RHTT jobs, its not very often ive had to do it, that was probably only the 2nd or 3rd time if that

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Interesting diagonal streak of dirt on each cab of your loco. One for modellers weathering their class 66s.

And still trying to decide which "dirt" weathering colour would make the best match to the body colour of the 56. Not your usual smart Colas livery.

Jonathan

Continued thanks Jim for your notes on here.

Couple of questions if I may please.

I have read that there are different versions of the class 66 cab in GBRf service and some of the fleet can only work in certain areas. Was this only a temporary thing and can all 66/7 now go anywhere?

Also, when you had to self rescue with another 66 from Bescot, presume there are jumper cables stowed inside the loco somewhere for you to "crack open" and use. Also presume it is just the AAR jumper and the two air pipes using the AAR multi system ?

Thanks Jim

Continued thanks Jim for your notes on here.

Couple of questions if I may please.

I have read that there are different versions of the class 66 cab in GBRf service and some of the fleet can only work in certain areas. Was this only a temporary thing and can all 66/7 now go anywhere?

Also, when you had to self rescue with another 66 from Bescot, presume there are jumper cables stowed inside the loco somewhere for you to "crack open" and use. Also presume it is just the AAR jumper and the two air pipes using the AAR multi system ?

Thanks Jim

I don't know about GBrf but as far as DBs locos go the jumper was usually just thrown on floor somewhere - waiting for you to trip over it!

I only multi-ed 66's up on a couple of occasions and to be honest it's a right pain in the bum, getting the jumper out again was a right ### especially as you were trying to balance on the buffers/coupling at the same time! And in fact I was led to believe that as it had never been properly risk assessed drivers were not supposed to do it on their own.