Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

I don't know about GBrf but as far as DBs locos go the jumper was usually just thrown on floor somewhere - waiting for you to trip over it!

I only multi-ed 66's up on a couple of occasions and to be honest it's a right pain in the bum, getting the jumper out again was a right ### especially as you were trying to balance on the buffers/coupling at the same time! And in fact I was led to believe that as it had never been properly risk assessed drivers were not supposed to do it on their own.

I only have tried this once but these are used so little that the contacts are not clean enough to work properly and every bump would cause the brake to apply and since then there were instruction from FL management not to put loco's into multi! With hindsight I should have isolated the E70 on  rear loco.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Continued thanks Jim for your notes on here.

Couple of questions if I may please.

I have read that there are different versions of the class 66 cab in GBRf service and some of the fleet can only work in certain areas. Was this only a temporary thing and can all 66/7 now go anywhere?

Also, when you had to self rescue with another 66 from Bescot, presume there are jumper cables stowed inside the loco somewhere for you to "crack open" and use. Also presume it is just the AAR jumper and the two air pipes using the AAR multi system ?

Thanks Jim

I don't know about GBrf but as far as DBs locos go the jumper was usually just thrown on floor somewhere - waiting for you to trip over it!

I only multi-ed 66's up on a couple of occasions and to be honest it's a right pain in the bum, getting the jumper out again was a right ### especially as you were trying to balance on the buffers/coupling at the same time! And in fact I was led to believe that as it had never been properly risk assessed drivers were not supposed to do it on their own.

The jumper is hung up in the clean air end of the loco on our locos

Getting the jumper in and out is not too bad if your tall, also the cover is designed to take the brass key to hold it open, lift the flap up and insert the key into the top and flapnis held open!

Regards the different cabs some have ‘euro spec’ cabs which sort of wrap round the driver rather than having a pedestal in the middle of the cab, I think the reason they were only used in certain areas was driver knowledge, even now they can’t be used on possessions where multiple companies drivers are involved as say Colas, dB, freightliner drivers don’t have traction knowledge on them (there is no drivers key or direction lever in them, just buttons and switches)

Getting the jumper in and out is not too bad if your tall, also the cover is designed to take the brass key to hold it open, lift the flap up and insert the key into the top and flapnis held open!

Most of the 59s the cable goes in and out nice and easy as they're older and do get multi'd up quite regularly. Some, and most of the 66s, can be rather sticky to remove. I presume the brass key trick doesn't work with the black plastic ones as they're a different shape? Not heard of it before, sounds like it could make getting the cable out a lot simpler as you only need 2 hands not 3!

Being a shorty, makes getting the cable out tricky, but it does mean I can rest it on top of my helmet to plug it in. Me plus hard hat is just the right height!

Jo

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Interesting bit of kit.

Do you have to have knowledge of odd stuff like this or is it a case of it’s got air brakes off we go ..

The on train techs prepare it for haulage and give a certificate of readiness, brake tested etc and safe to go

I was asked to uncouple the locos at carlisle and leave them clear of the unit at each end so they could work on it but as I don’t know how to operate the handbrake on the Miller then at some point it would lose its air and roll away into one of the locos so I just left them attached!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Loaded outbound?

Watch out for Langho bank being greasy. - just off Whalley Viaduct up to the golf course.

The Avonmouth slipped to a stand last Friday (4th time in 3 weeks.....), Driver and a MOM were hand sanding and managed to get going after about 2 hours!

Although it looks like there's an extra inbound later in the day arriving about teatime.

That should be the PCAs - get your order in for the Accurascale stock!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed Jim, that the 47 has a two MU jumpers on the front.  Any ideas why ?

Good spot!

A quick flickr search and it seems like an addition since it was transferred to GBRf duties.

Cheers,

Mick