Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

I am not a follower of the modern scene but I have never seen this before.

I was held up at a railway crossing by a very long bulk freight train (sorry don't know the wagon type) at the railway crossing near Wormersley in Yorkshire. The train was very slow moving, probably less than 10mph.

But what surprised me was the half crossing barrier lifted before the last wagon had cleared the crossing.

• RMweb Premium

I am not a follower of the modern scene but I have never seen this before.

I was held up at a railway crossing by a very long bulk freight train (sorry don't know the wagon type) at the railway crossing near Wormersley in Yorkshire. The train was very slow moving, probably less than 10mph.

But what surprised me was the half crossing barrier lifted before the last wagon had cleared the crossing.

Sounds like a possibility that the crossing controls at Womersley are the same vintage as those at Stainforth Road. Something perhaps to do with "time-outs" and "not proving the crossing clear"?

• RMweb Premium

There was a discussion on this a while ago on the Level Crossing Madness thread. It was the standard design for a while, though criticised after an accident and since then many but by no means all crossings have been altered. I can't remember the details but the raising of the barrier was't linked to the end of the train passing over.

Jonathan

It may be intentional. Much like air brakes that will release after a period of time so LXs will raise the booms after a period of time down.

Normally, the LX will wait for the island track (a section through the crossing and some metres to either side of the crossing) to clear before beginning the process of raising the booms and clearing the crossing for road traffic.

However, to guard against an island track, or other crossing failure, with the booms down, and thus blocking the road traffic, the booms will raise after a defined period of time from lowering, even if the island track is still showing occupation.

In this case, with a train crawling across the crossing that time period was possibly exceeded and the booms have come up as a result.

Something that I learned while working on the Rio Tinto network in the North West of Australia is that trains are not supposed to accelerate through a LX, but hold a constant speed. This can be an issue if a train has been stopped close to the crossing and is still in the acceleration curve when it reaches the crossing. It is supposed to hold the speed it passes the predictor at as that determines how long after the head of the train passes that the crossing starts to operate.

Hope that is of some help.

Some from today, started in Nottingham

A0ED4191-2E7C-493E-AF93-4BBA51A43989.jpg

And took these to Hinksey

B949733B-7D72-428B-9070-C7630C09CE32.jpg

Waiting to leave Eastcroft

73DE2858-7347-48EE-BB58-9A30947061B3.jpg

Waiting the road in Nottingham

471EDF34-6EEC-40BE-AF10-50120A02AB8A.jpg

Filthy 70809

361BD8E1-27AD-4C6B-84D9-2B3D45950BD9.jpg

Waiting at beeston

DBB18A07-6891-4983-AFC4-15207F529F96.jpg

Stopped at burton for a break, typically the schedule had 2 long breaks just after you get on board then express burton to oxford!

F1372FF0-A961-48E4-9CDA-D2783C861865.jpg

Didn’t get any pics at Hinksey as it was a rush off to get a train home, some puzzled lookin spotters seeing a gbrf uniformed driver getting off the locos!

Next job rail milling machine again on the wcml then more

First thing I thought was GBRF are buying class 70's :onthequiet:

• Like 3

Sounds like a possibility that the crossing controls at Womersley are the same vintage as those at Stainforth Road. Something perhaps to do with "time-outs" and "not proving the crossing clear"?

There was a discussion on this a while ago on the Level Crossing Madness thread. It was the standard design for a while, though criticised after an accident and since then many but by no means all crossings have been altered. I can't remember the details but the raising of the barrier was't linked to the end of the train passing over.

Jonathan

It may be intentional. Much like air brakes that will release after a period of time so LXs will raise the booms after a period of time down.

Normally, the LX will wait for the island track (a section through the crossing and some metres to either side of the crossing) to clear before beginning the process of raising the booms and clearing the crossing for road traffic.

However, to guard against an island track, or other crossing failure, with the booms down, and thus blocking the road traffic, the booms will raise after a defined period of time from lowering, even if the island track is still showing occupation.

In this case, with a train crawling across the crossing that time period was possibly exceeded and the booms have come up as a result.

Something that I learned while working on the Rio Tinto network in the North West of Australia is that trains are not supposed to accelerate through a LX, but hold a constant speed. This can be an issue if a train has been stopped close to the crossing and is still in the acceleration curve when it reaches the crossing. It is supposed to hold the speed it passes the predictor at as that determines how long after the head of the train passes that the crossing starts to operate.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks chaps. Explains a lot.

Was a little bit of a surprise seeing the barrier lift with the train still fouling the roadway. But as I said the train was moving very slowly.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this but that looks rather, erm, drab and unexciting!  OK, OK, I know it's the light, and it's dirty!  Never one of my favourite liveries though I'm afraid.

As always though Jim, good to see you've been able to keep up the thread after your move to GBRf, it's interesting to see it from the other side of the fence.  Thanks for posting

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just one from tonight, 66744 to mountsorrel where the outward train was cancelled so instead of taking it back south to Landor st (and ultimately Eastleigh) I took it to Doncaster as tomorrows train (which is also cancelled) is booked to go there before heading back south on Wednesday

131A12DB-74DD-4418-A2F8-51311BCAE631.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just 2 from today, Warrington to Washwood heath with the cement, we then went to longport to collect a 66 only to find the place locked up and not to be moved boards on the loco so we had to leave it there and go home (or to my hotel in my case!)

Warrington

61250D9E-5BB0-4A3C-ACEB-3D9438CB6231.jpg

Washwood heath

74C61462-1012-4B5D-BB11-EF386F78C221.jpg

Iport job tomorrow

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good old 755

It spent nine weeks on the Clitheroe-Avonmouth and then was finally swapped out. To return about a week later..................

66727 Maritime on the Mossend-Clitheroe this week.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

66727 Maritime on the Mossend-Clitheroe this week.

I saw that on our train running list as being at clitheroe and wondered if I would end up with it today, as it happens I bought the rails LTD ED earlier in the week while there was an eBay offer on

Tomorrow’s iport job has 66711 ‘sence’ On it, the loco that keeps stalking me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw that on our train running list as being at clitheroe and wondered if I would end up with it today, as it happens I bought the rails LTD ED earlier in the week while there was an eBay offer on

Tomorrow’s iport job has 66711 ‘sence’ On it, the loco that keeps stalking me!

If you don't mind me asking Jim what offer was their on 66727 from Rails?

I messaged Rails this week and asked if their was to be any reduction/discounts on 727 either on the advent calendar or as an offer and they replied that their wasn't going to be. 

Thank you in advance. 

• RMweb Gold

If you don't mind me asking Jim what offer was their on 66727 from Rails?

I messaged Rails this week and asked if their was to be any reduction/discounts on 727 either on the advent calendar or as an offer and they replied that their wasn't going to be. 

Thank you in advance. 

i got it via their ebay store with a 10% off code which just so happens to be running again this weekend too so if you want one get on ebay and grab one before midnight sunday and use code PINCHME

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-32-979W-CLASS-66-727-MARITIME-ONE-GBRF-MARITIME-LOCOMOTIVE-NEW/132624655187?hash=item1ee10ba353:g:efgAAOSwRQla~AXB:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

i got it via their ebay store with a 10% off code which just so happens to be running again this weekend too so if you want one get on ebay and grab one before midnight sunday and use code PINCHME

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-32-979W-CLASS-66-727-MARITIME-ONE-GBRF-MARITIME-LOCOMOTIVE-NEW/132624655187?hash=item1ee10ba353:g:efgAAOSwRQla~AXB:rk:1:pf:0

Brilliant Jim, thank you very much. 

It was only the other day that I decided not to get this one just because I begrudge paying £170 for one loco. Although now at £153 this looks more appealing. I will definitely have this one now and I will buy one tomorrow. 

Thank you very much for letting me know. 

Has yours arrived yet? 

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Jim, thank you very much.

It was only the other day that I decided not to get this one just because I begrudge paying £170 for one loco. Although now at £153 this looks more appealing. I will definitely have this one now and I will buy one tomorrow.

Thank you very much for letting me know.

Has yours arrived yet?

Yeah it arrived earlier in the week, looks nice

Anyway some pics from today, 66711 again

Coleshill

959E6A58-47FF-4C8D-9FFB-82FD942D35FF.jpg

Running round in iport

66209ACC-04AC-4900-81C6-245A6B4A3DEC.jpg

We had to run a wagon set back to Roberts road for maintenance where 66789 was also sat

4A1B862E-32A6-47CD-9788-501C3A50D0BD.jpg

408FEFB3-C3E0-4BA0-9CA7-39409A2FD8C7.jpg

And loco to the shed where another unique livery 66 was waiting, 66720 this time

07C96571-FB4E-46FF-8F0E-CAC9EBCB9F35.jpg

CBD54B24-61BA-423B-809C-E40BAF44C3E4.jpg

Annual leave next week but in for a couple of jobs to help out

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Yeah it arrived earlier in the week, looks nice

Anyway some pics from today, 66711 again

Coleshill

959E6A58-47FF-4C8D-9FFB-82FD942D35FF.jpg

Running round in iport

66209ACC-04AC-4900-81C6-245A6B4A3DEC.jpg

We had to run a wagon set back to Roberts road for maintenance where 66789 was also sat

4A1B862E-32A6-47CD-9788-501C3A50D0BD.jpg

408FEFB3-C3E0-4BA0-9CA7-39409A2FD8C7.jpg

And loco to the shed where another unique livery 66 was waiting, 66720 this time

07C96571-FB4E-46FF-8F0E-CAC9EBCB9F35.jpg

CBD54B24-61BA-423B-809C-E40BAF44C3E4.jpg

Annual leave next week but in for a couple of jobs to help out

Thanks Jim. In my opinion this is the smartest liveried celebrity GBRF shed. Although all of the other ones wear nice liveries too. I just think that the blue and the wave look really good. 

If you are after a 66711 just search the loco number on the new Hattons website and they have some available at the discounted price of £113 each. 

As always excellent photos and it's good to see the celebrity sheds. 

• Like 3