Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

2 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

I was cursing as you passed me !!!!!!   :angry::angry::angry:

Unlucky Phil, I know all too well how it feels. You can reduce the chance of being 'bowled' by going on a freight-only line:

Colas No More

Cheers for the tones and informative comments on the photo Jim! :good:

Jack.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Some from yesterday, Toton tripper

CB811B34-766B-443E-A477-7266047C2EB7.jpg

Just 2 to bring back 

784B89C1-C58E-4CB4-96C8-E858FE1ACFC4.jpg

and today’s trip to iport with 66789

BF25A0AF-8F70-4268-B450-0541514745ED.jpg

Masborough

CCE92E31-CB34-45C9-8E3A-F238F6950DDB.jpg

The obligatory arch shot

1E7C04FF-3229-4D51-A978-FBB131B69B9C.jpg

and that was that, rugby to bescot tomorrow 

• Like 16

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:06, Jack374 said:

Unlucky Phil, I know all too well how it feels. You can reduce the chance of being 'bowled' by going on a freight-only line:

Colas No More

Cheers for the tones and informative comments on the photo Jim! :good:

Jack.

where is this gem of a location ?

2 hours ago, PDBV said:

where is this gem of a location ?

Between Swarkestone and Chellaston in South Derbyshire, just off J3 of the A50. This map should help...I park at a small lay-by under the tree (circled) and walk to the lineside (pin). The field usually has crops in it at this time of year but it’s always passable.

28EA8765-57F5-45F3-BB61-6A48A3BC7CA9.jpeg.6479c50a0087d04a550a701716b7915a.jpeg

(Screen shot of Google Maps)

HTH,

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Cheers for the heads up Jim...I was planning on seeing you anyway but got a puncture on my bike one the way home, so that scuppered that plan!! At least today you got your preferred loco...I wouldn’t have minded either way as the load is always different.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Today was quite colourful too

66724 and 66150 one way

4F9EA27D-5569-43F3-8B63-4942ADD90948.jpg

dropped the gb 66 onto the return working and took the DB one on the shed 

6423726D-72C8-44B4-88F5-9315DB7E6376.jpg

44CF5480-51DD-44ED-9F69-C2836AEA98DC.jpg

57 and 60

661AF287-4E94-4B58-A060-E749436D8AF9.jpg

9B23ABC8-4808-46A2-A36F-E284F8C5ACD8.jpg

And the return with 66724 and Maritime livery 66142

98C77B12-82AF-4072-8DC5-48ABECA62984.jpg

And into bescot

557DF4A0-2E05-4D3B-A68F-448FD4A51415.jpg

same again tomorrow 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Just 3 from today, did the toton tripper as planned then got a call, could we go to Bletchley and rescue a failed intermodal train so off we went as 1Z99 toton-leicester-nuneaton-rugby-Northampton-Bletchley 

changing ends in nuneaton 

9DA7FD21-AC87-4961-A770-5ED46D425F81.jpg

And into Bletchley 

83EDF414-62A8-4237-AB17-5BA5CC0525B5.jpg

we left the loco with the driver, brake tested the train and walked back to the station to get a train back north, as we did a 230 unit passed by heading for Bedford, never seen one before, quite impressed with it to be honest!

3FAEB762-259C-498D-80D6-58863938CA31.jpg

and that was that, home I went, couldn’t be bothered getting my car from bescot though, that can wait til later in the week 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple from this morning, did a cement train, Landor st to crewe, it was booked to run into bescot to run round then go over Cannock Chase to Rugeley, as it happened it had a loaded wagon in the consist the when I checked the heavy weight axle form the route wasn’t showing on the form so I had to sit and wait while it was decided if the train could go over the line, as it happened it couldn’t but by the time a decision was made a possession that was blocking the original route was lifted so I went that way instead! 

Into crewe

59C5EFB8-DA4B-4A4F-811C-7BE5EC099E94.jpg

And off it goes

2B564CC7-00FE-4E69-B303-2672586C233A.jpg

road learning again tomorrow, local to me though 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Some cracking pics around my neck of the woods Jim I'm yet to see you in action. I spoke to one your guys at Aston earlier he was route learning upto Walsall a very pleasant chap indeed. 

Cheers 

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Bit of road learning today, kidsgrove to Macclesfield for the upcoming (already) RHTT, decided to stay on to Stockport to get the bit between Macclesfield and cheadle hulme I’m too, a line I’ve done loads of times with Colas but conducted over it

stoke on Trent with its impressive over roof 

86C1A18A-0E7F-4CE8-98E6-DA2BAD66D61B.jpg

stockport, a GBRf stone train passing through, a biomass has passed through a couple of minutes earlier too 

C9E3E557-4A31-4EE5-AC99-50CC8401946D.jpg

class 57 heading south

FDBEF32E-72BC-4DEF-9D06-7D2E6AE9BDCC.jpg

got a couple of trips in each way as well as a refresh from stoke to Stafford via stone as I’ve had to go and collect my car from bescot as my job tomorrow is cancelled, was hoping to leave it there until tomorrow! 

long week coming up, possession Sunday, Toton trippers and an iport! 

• Like 13

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:25, big jim said:

Just a couple from this morning, did a cement train, Landor st to crewe, it was booked to run into bescot to run round then go over Cannock Chase to Rugeley, as it happened it had a loaded wagon in the consist the when I checked the heavy weight axle form the route wasn’t showing on the form so I had to sit and wait while it was decided if the train could go over the line,  

I never realised there were weight restrictions on loaded wagons, especially on the Chase line which used to have large bogie hopper wagons supplying Rugeley PS in the final years.  There again, I suppose a loaded bogie hopper is getting on for an equivalent weight to some locos and with the load spread over four axles must have a hefty axle-weight figure.

However, given EWS and Freightliner both used high capacity bogie hoppers to feed the power station until it closed I'd have thought the route was capable of taking high axle load wagons.  Odd.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I never realised there were weight restrictions on loaded wagons, especially on the Chase line which used to have large bogie hopper wagons supplying Rugeley PS in the final years.  There again, I suppose a loaded bogie hopper is getting on for an equivalent weight to some locos and with the load spread over four axles must have a hefty axle-weight figure.

However, given EWS and Freightliner both used high capacity bogie hoppers to feed the power station until it closed I'd have thought the route was capable of taking high axle load wagons.  Odd.

It depends on which end of the line the power station was accessed from  - if via the WCML from Rugeley TV then its only a short hop down the branch and if the weak bridge is between Rugeley and Wallsall then it wouldn't pose a problem.

It could also be that the bridge structure has been reassessed in recent years and the structural engineer has slapped a restriction on it preventing access. Again depends exactly were along the line we are talking about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s not so much the line actually having restrictions the issue was the paperwork I had didn’t feature the line between rycroft and Rugeley (which is RA8) so i couldn’t go until it was confirmed it was a paperwork error rather than a routing error

the other thing to bear in mind is the train should have been RA8 but the one loaded wagon pushed it up to RA10 thus making it require the HAW form, otherwise I wouldn’t need it and I could have gone without issue 

to be honest I also told control that loaded coal trains used to work over the route to and from the power station and those wagons when loaded were also RA10 (same as my loaded wagon) so the likelyhood is the train could run without issue but again without my ‘cement traffic’ specific RT3973HAW paperwork I couldn’t go (or at the least get confirmation from NR that it was ok and be told where, if any, restrictions were) 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Going a bit off topic but around 04-05? there was a tunstead - Walsall loaded cement that for a time ran wcml then Rugeley TV onto the chase line to Walsall, made up of a cl. 60 and the bli jga bogie cement hoppers, ran early morning and used to wake me up as it worked the gradient through Rugeley town, and yes coal ran into Rugeley ps from both directions for many years. 

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

For those who are wondering what the heck those of us in the know are on about below is part of an RT3185 for coal trains between various loading and discharging points 

you can see it is specific to types of wagons generating a specific RA (route availability)

Below that is a comprehensive list of routes that the train must take with a route letter next to it (a, b, c etc)

BA8AC7BC-C3A9-48AF-B169-DF39B525C850.png

You can see on this page the route from Rugeley north jn to rycroft jn is shown (as part of route q)

F7D0ED6D-A41E-41FB-88C7-884409CF537D.png

you then cross reference the route letter with any restrictions shown in the next list, as you can see route m, n, o, p, q, r have no restrictions applied whereas other routes with restrictions give you the location, bridge number and speed or other restriction such as on the ironbridge line “only one train permitted on bridge at any given time” the bridge in question being the Bridge over the Severn (the restriction could have been removed a long time back  as the line was singled between lightmoor and the power station back in about 2010)

DD1EC7F8-A0A9-4661-81F2-E3A7F61ACA92.png

there are further RT3973s too

CON- container trains (so larger sized containers don’t hit tunnel walls, bridges or station canopies etc)

EXL- exceptional loads (things like side tipping point carriers and some cranes)

NUC- nuclear traffic (to keep to booked routes) 

then in top of that you have table upon table of locos, units and coaches in the sectional appendix listing where they cannot go, class 70 for example can go derby to stoke via uttoxeter but cannot go the opposite direction along the same route due to a bulge in the wall in meir tunnel!

hope that helps people understand the complexities of running different types of freight trains, it’s not just point and go! 

• Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Gold

We've got a strange one as well a 172/0 isn't allowed between Coventry North Junction and Proof House Junction via Birmingham International as it's out of gauge but it has the same dimensions as a class 170 but they're allowed on that route. 

Cheers 

Colin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple from today, possession train from wigston to bescot

66706 at wigston

6715A770-533A-4B71-9F50-A21622B9FCB0.jpg

and awaiting departure from the work site at  Narborough (red lights protecting the crossing)

ABCF4DCB-CF34-4CA1-AFB9-C470E50AF595.jpg

and that was that, Toton tripper the rest of the week 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2019 at 23:59, big jim said:

For those who are wondering what the heck those of us in the know are on about below is part of an RT3185 for coal trains between various loading and discharging points 

you can see it is specific to types of wagons generating a specific RA (route availability)

Below that is a comprehensive list of routes that the train must take with a route letter next to it (a, b, c etc)

BA8AC7BC-C3A9-48AF-B169-DF39B525C850.png

You can see on this page the route from Rugeley north jn to rycroft jn is shown (as part of route q)

F7D0ED6D-A41E-41FB-88C7-884409CF537D.png

you then cross reference the route letter with any restrictions shown in the next list, as you can see route m, n, o, p, q, r have no restrictions applied whereas other routes with restrictions give you the location, bridge number and speed or other restriction such as on the ironbridge line “only one train permitted on bridge at any given time” the bridge in question being the Bridge over the Severn (the restriction could have been removed a long time back  as the line was singled between lightmoor and the power station back in about 2010)

DD1EC7F8-A0A9-4661-81F2-E3A7F61ACA92.png

there are further RT3973s too

CON- container trains (so larger sized containers don’t hit tunnel walls, bridges or station canopies etc)

EXL- exceptional loads (things like side tipping point carriers and some cranes)

NUC- nuclear traffic (to keep to booked routes) 

then in top of that you have table upon table of locos, units and coaches in the sectional appendix listing where they cannot go, class 70 for example can go derby to stoke via uttoxeter but cannot go the opposite direction along the same route due to a bulge in the wall in meir tunnel!

hope that helps people understand the complexities of running different types of freight trains, it’s not just point and go! 

Blooming heck Jim - they were laid out a lot better when we issued them.  Like having the section of route in the right order for a start and including the restrictions within the section of route named (it was forbidden to lay them out any other way in BR days as a restriction could easily be missed if it wasn't shown in correct route order).

• Informative/Useful 1

Enjoyed the recent Toton pics Jim - I was there on Saturday to take out 6Y76 and as I walked from the north end where I parked the staff van down to the Meadow Sidings (in full railway gear with kit bag over my shoulder etc) I was followed all the way by one of the security guards!

Funny place, Toton… ;)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1