Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

11 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Enjoyed the recent Toton pics Jim - I was there on Saturday to take out 6Y76 and as I walked from the north end where I parked the staff van down to the Meadow Sidings (in full railway gear with kit bag over my shoulder etc) I was followed all the way by one of the security guards!

Funny place, Toton… ;)

You must have one of those faces(I have had the same in a shop while head to toe in orange)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just 3 from today, toton tripper again with the same loco

66708 passes by (named after my roster Clark, Jayne)

00A0BEEC-6382-422E-9883-31D7D5432595.jpg

60096 heading toward the shed 

0BECEEF0-64BA-40DD-9FDD-6B6D28BBE55D_1.j

and my train ready to head back to bescot with a load of falcon wagons, despite the clouds it didn’t rain

3896225C-1FE1-4707-94D2-C2209A9A6436.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Just 2 from today

073D284C-8450-4862-AF06-474E4EB1C62B.jpg

back into bescot

6CD4B40B-7F84-4B28-80BA-75C8585734A1.jpg

big job starting this weekend at sutton tunnel (Runcorn east) the train I bought back was a train of new sleepers for that job, lots of GBRf running through wrexham and Chester for 10 days! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, big jim said:

That’s a cracking shot!

Tripper again, turned out one of the wagons was at the wrong end of the train so we needed to do a shunt, luckily there was a class 60 sat nearby that i ‘borrowed’ to assist the shunt (nothing to do with me not having driven 60074 before!) 

And the wagon moved to the other end of the train 

4DFF4500-9B4B-49BC-960F-248A6B2C5131.jpg

That looks like the tunnel ventilation unit - JZA 93468

(Long been on my "to-do" list as the wagon is  an ex-KFA of the type that Hornby make.)

60029 - formerly named "Clitheroe Castle" - I went to the naming ceremony at the local cement works.......(name now carried by 60024 and still going strong) 

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just one from last nights job, sutton tunnel blockade, got to site for 19:00 and moved once backward and forward then sat there til midnight before heading off to bescot via chester and wrexham

80FDDEAF-C8FF-47E0-B9CD-AEC2323F00BA.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Jonathan

I had the same question when I read Jim's post above. It's near a place called Sutton Weaver which is just north east of Frodsham, Cheshire.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

1 mile 154 yards in June 1969 or so says my new acquisition of yesterday (LMR Southern Section Appendix).  What’s 8 yards amongst friends!

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

1 mile 154 yards in June 1969 or so says my new acquisition of yesterday (LMR Southern Section Appendix).  What’s 8 yards amongst friends!

Paul.

According to Quail it is 1mile and 7 chains (=1mile 154 yds of course) and Quail tends to be pretty accurate.  Cooke also shows the same mileages and therefore also shows the length as 1mile and 7 chains, so  again = 1mile 154 yds = 1914 yds but, unusually for Tony,  there is an inexactitude in the conversion to yards which he does indeed show as 1922 yds. 

But in retrospect that set me thinking as Tony Cooke is very meticulous in his research so I did a bit of delving.  and the first thing to come out is that the south end of the tunnel is not where Quail says it is because acciording to the GWR 1921 and 1936 General Appendixes it is at 11 miles 62.5 chains and not at 11miles 63 chains.  Moreover maths aren't what they used to be as that gives a length of 1 mile 7.5 chains = 1 mile 165 yds = 1925 yards.  But the 1921 Appendix says 1930 yds and the 1936 Appendix says 1920 yds.   So I reckon, and knowing Tony uses all sorts of sources, that the tunnel mouths are not at those exact chainages but are to the nearest whole chain in Quail and the Appendix '5 Bar VT' has recently acquired and the true length of the tunnel cannot be exactly computed from the chainages.  So in fact it probably is 1922 yards long and Cooke got there from a Civil Engineering source  - possibly a single line diagram?.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

some from last night, IM train from oxford to derby, should have got on at banbury but I relieved the other driver early so I could finally get a drive over the new chord at bicester, as I’ve not actually done it since signing it!

oxford parkway, short formation UTU train comprising DBSO, UTU and Generator van with 37057 powering 

D388E116-C030-4EE7-BAF1-9F3886DAFC04.jpg

oxford

6194532F-598D-4894-A6D1-83DE5EBF4B66.jpg

2FEB050C-2D64-4DD1-9FEF-AAF249337848.jpg

bicester south Jn

6D0DBB87-6D27-452E-B819-A292F55D7495.jpg

and into derby

BA260DE9-36D7-405A-B09E-AAD6C956BE5C.jpg

sutton tunnel again tomorrow, with a run round in Hooton! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, big jim said:

run round in Hooton

Is that due to over length for run round at Chester?  I assume in the Up Sidings rather than the platform lines.  Look forward to the ‘unusual place’ photos.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is due to the length, Having had a look at the ballast notices I think I would just about fit in the main at Chester the train is 1281ft and I think the space between the signals is just shy of 1300ft so a touch precise but it would mean I’d have to run the loco past the signal to ensure I’d fit back on the rear end and that would knacker up the down side of the station for 5-10 mins while I uncoupled etc hence the run up to Hooton

funny how I sign all these obscure bits and bobs all over the country but have never done Chester to Hooton from the cab despite me starting my career at Chester and always worked around the area, if I do drive it it will mean I’ve then driven practically all of what’s left of the old GWR route from Paddington to Birkenhead apart from the bit from Hooton to rock ferry and the bit thats now the tram between the hawthorns and Wolverhampton 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/07/2019 at 15:37, big jim said:

I think it is due to the length, Having had a look at the ballast notices I think I would just about fit in the main at Chester the train is 1281ft and I think the space between the signals is just shy of 1300ft so a touch precise but it would mean I’d have to run the loco past the signal to ensure I’d fit back on the rear end and that would knacker up the down side of the station for 5-10 mins while I uncoupled etc hence the run up to Hooton

funny how I sign all these obscure bits and bobs all over the country but have never done Chester to Hooton from the cab despite me starting my career at Chester and always worked around the area, if I do drive it it will mean I’ve then driven practically all of what’s left of the old GWR route from Paddington to Birkenhead apart from the bit from Hooton to rock ferry and the bit thats now the tram between the hawthorns and Wolverhampton 

Hi Jim,

I hope you wont mind a personal question ?

You mention that you sign a fair few bits and bobs all over the country which I understand is the nature of a freight Driver's work these days, and frankly, you are able to get amazing pictures, regularly, from your travels, however...

A few posts back you mentioned coming down into South Eastern land and venturing onto our place at Hither Green with one of your jobs.

My question then is how do you/did you learn this and then 'sign for' it? Is it on the job learning with so many trips over the route or were you conducted?

And, finally, do you have to sit assessments at the end of a period of route learning before signing it, bearing in mind there's a lot of opportunity screw it up with a freight train if you take a wrong turn etc. My own learning many years ago consisted of driving over the routes on booked jobs with the qualified Driver so many times etc but I know that the current scene is moving more towards home learning/DVD etc, so if I'm honest I am a little curious.

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• RMweb Gold

The likes of the hither green job I was conducted for the whole 3 days over those routes by a driver who signs it (but doesn’t sign the traction, hence why I was there) 

ive just learned kidsgrove to cheadle hulme for the RHTT which involved a number of trips over the route (the actual number depends on the complexity of the route as decided by the standards team depending on various factors such as complicated routing, multi spad signalling, signalling types etc)

there is a question paper and route brief for each route that you have to fill out and be marked on, if required, again due to the complexity of a route you will get a ride out with a manager or if a simple route (or a difficult one to get over) you will sit down and discuss the route with the manager/assessor/instructor who signs the route and answer further questions 

to keep route on your card you need to travel over them which could be working a train, travelling in the cab, road refreshing on a passenger service with a cab pass etc although I think we can request to view a DVD of the route now too, I’m just coming up to a year with GB now so a few of my Colas routes are about to lapse such as Holyhead and the cambrian but all I need to do is get a cab pass and have a trip back over them to keep them current 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, beast66606 said:

My lad was on the platform at Hooton as you rolled out - hes grown a bit since that day in Crewe all those years ago !

Certainly has! 

Didn't recognise him in the slightest 

• Funny 1

30 minutes ago, big jim said:

The likes of the hither green job I was conducted for the whole 3 days over those routes by a driver who signs it (but doesn’t sign the traction, hence why I was there) 

ive just learned kidsgrove to cheadle hulme for the RHTT which involved a number of trips over the route (the actual number depends on the complexity of the route as decided by the standards team depending on various factors such as complicated routing, multi spad signalling, signalling types etc)

there is a question paper and route brief for each route that you have to fill out and be marked on, if required, again due to the complexity of a route you will get a ride out with a manager or if a simple route (or a difficult one to get over) you will sit down and discuss the route with the manager/assessor/instructor who signs the route and answer further questions 

to keep route on your card you need to travel over them which could be working a train, travelling in the cab, road refreshing on a passenger service with a cab pass etc although I think we can request to view a DVD of the route now too, I’m just coming up to a year with GB now so a few of my Colas routes are about to lapse such as Holyhead and the cambrian but all I need to do is get a cab pass and have a trip back over them to keep them current 

Thanks for your detailed reply Jim, I see much more of a 'paper trail' these days for route learning & competency assessment that's for sure!

Also, forgot to add in the last post, 'Thankyou' for those excellent pictures, always a pleasure to see,

Stay safe, Kindest Regards,

Shed.