Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

5 hours ago, mikejames said:

the aircraft industry has flight simulators - probably more to do with types of aircraft than routes -

but does the railway industry have equivalent - and if so - how realistic is it.

Hi,

It does, in fact GBRF just opened a new Class 66 simulator using the cabs from the 66 that fell down an embankment in Scotland.

I can't vouch for how realistic it is.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, mikejames said:

two further questions - if you don't mind the hastle

I (and I suspect others) find your 'as it really is' replies helpful and interesting.

There are lots of 'cab ride videos' out there - are they useful at the beginning of learning a route

and does the company/industry try to provide comprehensive coverage and updates etc.

the aircraft industry has flight simulators - probably more to do with types of aircraft than routes -

but does the railway industry have equivalent - and if so - how realistic is it.

finally it seems to me that learning a route in the day will be quite different from driving it at night.

how does this affect route learning?

Thanks again for your patience

mike james

As Simon mentions above there are simulators, they are more about Doug unusual scenarios you would hope not to encounter in real life rather than road learning such as passing a signal at danger by accident, extreme low adhesion etc, as he says we have just opened ours, I believe one has (or will have) ERTMS fitted 

regard the cab ride video that is another way we can refresh a route, the company has up to date dvd’s And downloads of all the routes we work so if you need to see one but are struggling to get over it you can watch the film (I’ve never done that one personally as I prefer to try and get out and about instead)

and yes, night is a lot different to day learning!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Hi Jim

As others have said thanks for the great photographic record of your daily work.....

Some great photo's & interesting info....

But most of all thanks for your in depth replies to questions regarding your day to day work that give us an insight as to how the real railway works.....

Thanks again for your time....

Really appreciated....

Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Just has to google that....

basically you mean a ‘flasher mac’

I suppose so. Mr Jones from the Pru used to turn up every Friday to collect his premium, dressed like that. There was a famous railway photographer who used to be an inspector with the Pru; H C Casserley. His visits to branches throughout the UK would have been very useful for taking photos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I suppose so. Mr Jones from the Pru used to turn up every Friday to collect his premium, dressed like that. 

I must be somewhat younger than you to have not got the reference 

saying that a friend of mine back in the early 90s was on the side ‘the man from the pru’ Who still did exactly that, I wonder when doorstep premium collections officially ended for them? 

3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I must be somewhat younger than you to have not got the reference 

saying that a friend of mine back in the early 90s was on the side ‘the man from the pru’ Who still did exactly that, I wonder when doorstep premium collections officially ended for them? 

They probably still go round like that in Llanelli.....They apparently had a 'Retro Weekend' last weekend, and everyone turned up in their normal clothes.

Glad to see John Smith is staying on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not put any pics up this week as I’ve been in the same job all week to and fro from trafford Park 

grabbed a pic tonight as we had a loco swap last night and hopefully it will be my last trip here for a few weeks as the RHTT starts on Monday and yet again I’m the only driver with various parts of the route in date so it’s my job for the next few weeks while other drivers come with me to refresh it 

35E97860-976D-49D9-9A39-C98F6E6A9643.jpg

50AA0D60-20DA-4DFF-B12D-4F7277D6452D.jpg

as I say RHTT coming up, bescot-rugby-Macclesfield-rugby, a nice daytime job for a change

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Futher to that post yesterday we had a right mare of a trip to Trafford park, had a good run nuneaton to crewe then as per usual sat waiting while the  class 86 hailed freightliner set off 2 mins in front of us, it came to a stop at couple of loco lengths past the signal then after a minute or so continued on its way 

We got as far as the independent line only to be stopped at a red signal and the signaller tell us the freightliner had failed in front of us exiting the tunnels toward sandbach, it was eventually after an hour rescued by a light engine 66 that happened to be coming from Manchester direction, but bizarrely the rescue loco then passed us on the independent line outside sandbach, the 86s had been assisted to sandbach and had been declared fit to run, we passed them at longsight as I’d asked control to see if network rail would run us past them so we were not futher delayed getting into Trafford park while they shunted, we eventually arrived just over 50 mins late and only had one box to remove and one to put back on (problems in Southampton apparently)

so come 02:40 it was almost time to leave but again the freightliner departs Trafford 5 mins in front of us, we got away and had a good run through Manchester and onto the styal line only to be confronted with a red at heald green, a call from the signaller then told us that the freightliner 86s had come to a stop ahead blocking one side of the junction to Manchester airport, the very same 2 locos that had failed earlier on!

this time we sat there for 2 1/2 hours while it was recovered With the same class 66 from crewe, when we eventually got away We went via the station at crewe finally arriving into nuneaton about 140 mins late! 

quite why they Didn’t put the assisting 66 on at sandbach and leave it on into Manchester and back I don’t know as removing it caused huge problems and I should imagine hefty delay fines for freightliner, I ended up doing the best part of 14 hours by the time I got home but luckily im not in work the rest of the weekend so can relax for a couple of days 

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Day one of the RHTT circuit, bescot to rugby, rugby to Macclesfield, Macclesfield to rugby then home 

starting in bescot, for the train watered up and ready to roll 

858C49FC-A0AF-4D97-9C1E-A20848CD2627_1.j

A18F007C-8B4D-4510-A84A-D26B74BD2BBC.jpg

and away to rugby 

BC1D51C2-3EB6-4D3C-BCF3-B1D63ECC64E7.jpg

Into the back platform at Macclesfield for 45 mins

B63183DD-A7E6-4CC0-8AEC-80509AA45782.jpg

4E03A964-905C-423C-8872-3BF5F0C84A49.jpg

and into rugby

618ABDD5-FF89-4728-A9B1-1D77599963D2.jpg

And away to london it went

3B8F991C-DCAD-48D5-8080-5B5AF131D741.jpg

same again tomorrow 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, big jim said:

Day one of the RHTT circuit, bescot to rugby, rugby to Macclesfield, Macclesfield to rugby then home 

starting in bescot, for the train watered up and ready to roll 

858C49FC-A0AF-4D97-9C1E-A20848CD2627_1.j

A18F007C-8B4D-4510-A84A-D26B74BD2BBC.jpg

and away to rugby 

BC1D51C2-3EB6-4D3C-BCF3-B1D63ECC64E7.jpg

Into the back platform at Macclesfield for 45 mins

B63183DD-A7E6-4CC0-8AEC-80509AA45782.jpg

4E03A964-905C-423C-8872-3BF5F0C84A49.jpg

and into rugby

And away to london it went

3B8F991C-DCAD-48D5-8080-5B5AF131D741.jpg

same again tomorrow 

Just looked up the timings, 3J01 on RealtimeTrains, and your train doesn't appear to have made it further south. No reports for it until Bletchley, but another 3J01 seems to have jumped in VSTP from Acton to Bletchley to complete the run to Bedford and back to Euston.  Confusing....

• RMweb Gold

Yes it had a radio issue at Euston so was terminated there, unfortunately no one bothered to tell me so I turned up at bescot this morning to work the train only to find it cancelled so went home again!

should run tomorrow but another paperwork issue may see it only go as far as kidsgrove on the northbound run unless it’s resolved by departure time 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2019 at 22:34, big jim said:

What's with the dark paint under the GB Railfreight branding?

And on the front panel?

Covering graffiti?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Dunno what it is, there doesn’t appear to be covering anything like graffiti , I’m thinking it may be undercoat covering a corrosion repair or something, it’s been there a while as it follows the shape of the old decal!

39ECF92A-B267-4625-A98B-78047A175A6A.jpg

interesting addition to add to the Bachmann ltd Ed model of it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Another interesting Day on the WCML RHTT train, started in bescot.....

8DF1C8AA-E406-4854-A81B-B6CDFB3EEFD0.jpg

and ended up on the ECML in Doncaster!

CB5BF0AF-E7DF-41C6-B5DF-F34BC087141F.jpg

The generator on the set failed and has got to be repaired or swapped out so it’s heading back to york as we speak for an overnight repair, I’m staying in Doncaster so if, as hoped it’s all done for the morning I can pick it up and take it back to bescot to get back on its booked circuit!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1