Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

I think most companies have put a no road learning, conducting, single man in cab policy in place at the moment, ok, there will be times when someone needs to travel or come to the cab to speak to you, last night for example the NR picop and engineering supervisor needed to speak to me which I did out on the platform at a (hopefully) safe distance 

I was wondering about the taxi thing last night as I had to take one from site to bescot and will do later, I’d hope that the relevant companies we use through a 3rd party biking company have something in place, the bigger companies like Addison Lee have put out emails saying what they are doing to help prevent the spread and what they would like customers to do to co-operate but the smaller local ones I’ve not seen anything or been asked to wash my hands, sanitise before I get in the taxi (we have hand wipes on the locos) 

unfortunately at the moment there is that culture of ‘what a bloody joke’ about the precautions I place but I personally have been a lot more careful with personal hygiene the last few weeks (that makes me sound like a right dirty sod) but I am washing hands more, in the cab I’ll wipe down the hard surfaces I’ve touched before I get off etc and the next driver gets on (similarly do it when I get on incase the driver before didn’t do the same) 

scary times 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

The harsh reality is that at present 70% of intensive care patients with the virus are male, and not all by any means are elderly or have underlying health conditions. Any macho "its nothing to worry about" attitudes need to disappear fast.

I wish everyone well who is working to keep things running for us during this crisis.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, big jim said:

I think most companies have put a no road learning, conducting, single man in cab policy in place at the moment, ok, there will be times when someone needs to travel or come to the cab to speak to you, last night for example the NR picop and engineering supervisor needed to speak to me which I did out on the platform at a (hopefully) safe distance 

Or with the PICOP or ES standing outside the cab on the track. Another way we have been getting around it is getting the signaler to give the driver the PICOPs phone number and for the driver and PICOP to communicate by phone even when beside each other.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2020 at 13:23, JohnDMJ said:

Sorry, Jim, DBSO?

On 21/03/2020 at 13:28, Fat Controller said:

Driver Brake Second Open; it's the Mk 2 coach with a driving cab, visible in Jim's last photo.

Pedantic yellow head on - they are now officially RTOV - remote train operating vehicle, as they are no longer passenger carrying stock.

However - they are still referred to as DBSOs on the rail network.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, big jim said:

Never heard them called that, the only variation I know of was DBS (driving brake standard) 

they will always be known as dibso’s though 

Agreed - pretty much everyone calls them Dibsos or similar variations

http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/9708

Edited by newbryford

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 21:29, big jim said:

Some from today, bescot to toton

37521 passing by

9C5A9671-9C69-4771-B365-936E783C3A47.jpg

701DF86F-2772-4426-9D55-CB1EB9B9944C.jpg

Toton

6149B9C0-6E0B-4BEE-A08E-08CFF0936036.jpg

and with the wagons for the return trip

17BF321F-1B0D-4136-A2FC-FF70BF2287F1.jpg

Iport tomorrow 

Very nice pictures Jim here...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, big jim said:

Interestingly on my way in to work this morning I passed a 9F, 92212 and it’s tender on a couple of low loaders on the M6, not something you see every day! 

I think the one and only time I've seen 92212 was on a low loader.

About 30 years ago.......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2020 at 21:33, newbryford said:

I think the one and only time I've seen 92212 was on a low loader.

About 30 years ago.......

92212 has been on the Mid Hants for a while. She's privately owned, being one of Jeremy Hoskings fleet. Boiler certificate expired in late 2019. She was restored at Loughborough originally. I suspect she was on her way for overhaul, on line info suggests this was going to be done at Crewe using the boiler from 92245 (one of the Barry Ten).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

hi jim

hope you ( and family) are well

I wonder if I can ask a few questions about your recent experiences re effects of the virus?

1) what fraction of your driver colleagues are currently off ill or self isolating?

2) is there currently a shortage of drivers - so are you being asked to do 'extra' work etc

3) how about people like signallers etc.

4) what is your impression of how NR maintenance work etc is being maintained (much of your work being linked to this)

5) next weekend being Easter, there were some major works planned - do you expect them to go ahead?

I realise any replies will be very subjective, but people always say they like your 'as it is' view of the railway

and just at the moment the virus is the key to 'how it is'

Thank you as always for your always informative replies.

regards

mike j

• RMweb Gold

1. No idea 

2. A lot of work is cut back at the moment so no not been asked to work extra, Still possible to get a call last minute though

3. Again no idea how they are staff wise, I suppose one advantage of ‘super boxes, or ROCs is they cover vast areas so if a few go sick then there should be enough other staff to cover other panels in the box 

4. currently still going ahead as best as it can but things may change 

5. As far as I know most are happening, as it happens I’m rest day all weekend so will dodge them 

that’s about it, just keeping on working, keeping myself safe

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11