Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Signalling centres, ROCs, PSBs and single man boxes (in essex anyway) are all minimum staff currently. All trainees have been told to stay at home and revise/learn rules and regs, no visitors at all, only signalling staff are permitted to enter the premises, all workstations and panels are to be sanitised before and after each handover. All office staff are working from home and MOMs arent allowed on the ops floor and must call the workstation/panel regarding any incidents. That's the same for COSS/PICOPs, they're not permitted to enter. 

Most probably the same all over the country.

Hope that answers any questions.

Thanks

• Informative/Useful 9

12 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

Signalling centres, ROCs, PSBs and single man boxes (in essex anyway) are all minimum staff currently. All trainees have been told to stay at home and revise/learn rules and regs, no visitors at all, only signalling staff are permitted to enter the premises, all workstations and panels are to be sanitised before and after each handover. All office staff are working from home and MOMs arent allowed on the ops floor and must call the workstation/panel regarding any incidents. That's the same for COSS/PICOPs, they're not permitted to enter. 

Most probably the same all over the country.

Hope that answers any questions.

Thanks

Scotland is the same but I think some trainees are still working (in Edinburgh at least) as one was on duty when i took a possession last weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your very interesting photos on this thread. It is a ray of sunshine in the situation we find ourselves dealing with. Stay safe Jim, we need you more than ever at present. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

On 07/04/2020 at 20:31, ajwffc said:

Scotland is the same but I think some trainees are still working (in Edinburgh at least) as one was on duty when i took a possession last weekend. 

We are having trouble with vans now the new guidelines are out, imagine the hire company's have not got a lot left to hand out. Meanwhile in Edinburgh life goes on... albeit a slightly stranger life than we are all use to. Missing the pre shift Kababs however. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

We are having trouble with vans now the new guidelines are out, imagine the hire company's have not got a lot left to hand out. Meanwhile in Edinburgh life goes on... albeit a slightly stranger life than we are all use to. Missing the pre shift Kababs however. 

The SWGR possession staff are getting encouraged to use our own cars to minimize the number of van swaps.  

• RMweb Premium

Another mate of mine is a driver who works out of Charing Cross and London Bridge.

He's sent me some spooky photos of those locations that are nothing but "post-apocalyptic"

Not a single soul to be seen.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I did a New St - Redditch and a New St - Wolverhampton shuttle yesterday and it's the most odd feeling walking across the main concourse at New St with not a soul around. 

It's very surreal running around almost empty ferrying the key workers to and from work.

Jim just a quick one how much PPE have you been provided with such as gloves, sanitizer etc.... 

As we've been given nothing at all apart from cabs being sanitised overnight and if your lucky a squirt of hand sanitizer when we book on duty, staysafe Jim. 

Cheers 

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, CovDriver said:

Jim just a quick one how much PPE have you been provided with such as gloves, sanitizer etc....

I've heard that gloves 'hold' (as do many other materials) the virus and thus are not effective in preventing its spread. Hand sanitizer is way more effective.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

I've heard that gloves 'hold' (as do many other materials) the virus and thus are not effective in preventing its spread. Hand sanitizer is way more effective.

Gloves should be used for a single task and then disposed of - and not worn for ages touching numerous different surfaces and places (although that is unavoidable as you shop in a supermarket of course).  In the hospital wear my daughter works they have to dispose of their gloves after dealing with each patient and put on a new pair before they deal with the next patient to avoid spread of any sort of germs and infection let alone the virus - which explains why the NHS needs huge quantities of gloves, without 'wasting' them.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Gloves should be used for a single task and then disposed of - and not worn for ages touching numerous different surfaces and places (although that is unavoidable as you shop in a supermarket of course).  In the hospital wear my daughter works they have to dispose of their gloves after dealing with each patient and put on a new pair before they deal with the next patient to avoid spread of any sort of germs and infection let alone the virus - which explains why the NHS needs huge quantities of gloves, without 'wasting' them.

Agreed!

I have seen ambulance crews wearing their gloves in the local shops! (This was pre 2012!).

All due respect to Bill Bishop of this parish, some of your colleagues MAY need a wake up call in this respect! Bacteria and viruses love warm, body temperature and stick to gloves like there's no tomorrow! Bare hands and sanitiser are proven more effective! Protective clothing also may fall into the single use category! Once it's infected, it can infect! It ain't just you it's intended to protect.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

possession tonight between crewe and Nantwich, no doubt I can annoy @Iron Horse by trundling past his house at 5mph dropping ballast 

Do me a favour, give him a blast on the tones from me !! :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, big jim said:

Oh I fully intend to!  GOOD !!

he’ll probably be out in his shorts anyway  Yeah, he's always been weird like that !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, big jim said:

Loco cans are being deep cleaned and disinfected with a solution that supposedly lasts a month, don’t think I’ve had one of those locos yet either as I’ve been stuck with the same few over the last month

I guess the way it's going, you could each have your own loco - no need to wipe down before/after other drivers!