Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

In the late 1970s my then employer was planning to move some of their offices to a new building near Kings Cross and my department had a day out to the area and a presentation in the one building that had been refurbished. The staff were not impressed with the idea and when the manager informed us that the area was on the up, I muttered rather louder then intended "the tarts must be charging more". I got told off by the manager and then walked back to Kings Cross station with him. We were propositioned at least four time each on the way and he turned to me at the station and said that what I had said was correct. The plan was quickly and quietly dropped. Recently I have walked up the road and the "ladies" all appear to have moved away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so glad you gave me the heads up last night.

I was just heading to bed, when I saw your post and looked up the nights working.

I saw an 0134 at Coulsdon South wth 37099.. so packed up and headed out (At least it wasnt raining last night)...

got to Coulsdon South, and got a complete surprise.. not on RTT or showing on Traksy.. so I dont know what it was from or to.. but a Unit Ive not seen in London for 2 years now... (will leave the video so as to not spoil it).. very rare in the London these days...rarer than 37’s !.. when it flew through I thought i’d seen a ghost..

anyways glad to say they were looking after 37099 for you last night... caught that about 3 minutes later, friendly horn from the driver.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

What was the unit then, as someone from north of Watford it looks like any other juice jockey/stabiliser rail unit!!

nice to see the lasers in action and the infra red lights showing up on the video of the test train 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, big jim said:

What was the unit then, as someone from north of Watford it looks like any other juice jockey/stabiliser rail unit!!

nice to see the lasers in action and the infra red lights showing up on the video of the test train 

A 313... I dont think they ever regularly got past Croydon when they were based in London. Now they only live at Brighton and on the coast to Portsmouth.

So why it was going hell for leather towards London I dont know, it was lights out, and sounded like it had a wheel flat, but where it was off to and why.

it would be a bit like seeing a Pacer heading towards Glossop.. you know they used to live local and have all gone, but you’d never see one on that line even when they were around.

Only those handful left now, and how long they've got is questionable, I think they are amongst the oldest daily used passenger stock still in service.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A 313... I dont think they ever regularly got past Croydon when they were based in London. Now they only live at Brighton and on the coast to Portsmouth.

If the Inspection train was a 313, it would be 313 123 running as ECS. It regularly runs through Ford, even when it had to be towed from Horsham to Eastleigh by 313 202 having broken down!

313s also run Brighton - Lewes on the East Coastway. 313-201 is featured often on this route! Check https://www.facebook.com/groups/212317446034446/

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

If the Inspection train was a 313, it would be 313 123 running as ECS. It regularly runs through Ford, even when it had to be towed from Horsham to Eastleigh by 313 202 having broken down!

313s also run Brighton - Lewes on the East Coastway. 313-201 is featured often on this route! Check https://www.facebook.com/groups/212317446034446/

it was a Southern 313... Coulsdon South is about 3 miles south from East Croydon (Zone 6 London) on the way to Redhill.

I’m aware they run the south coast line, but I didnt think they travelled any further north than Lewes ? About 40 miles South of here.

I think until c2010 Silver-link might have got as far south as East Croydon  (definitely Clapham junction), and GN were Kings Cross / Moorgate Suburban. (north of the Thames ) until 2019.

As an aside, from London the Brighton mainline is pretty much exclusively Southern 377, 455 Gatex 387, and Thameslink 700 with 170’s off to Oxted.

However there is an odd ball every day an ECS runs Tonbridge to London Bridge, reverse to Redhill, back to London Bridge and back to Tonbridge.

Pretty much always a South Eastern 375/377.
No idea for this daily ECS move, its SE’s only scheduled service on this line here’s todays run...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/RDH/2021-05-05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SE

And tomorrows..

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/RDH/2021-05-06/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SE

For freight, daily stone trains, several each way (Purley, Newhaven, Ardingly, Crawley etc), usually a Freightliner 59/66.  GBRF runs several engineers moves with 66, RHTT with 73’s and occasionally EWS has a Dollands moor divert this way.

Friday, Saturday nights can be entertaining depending on where the weekend ballasts are, can be anything upto a dozen locos turning out, usually between 11pm and 3am from Eastleigh or Hoo.

On Saturdays theres a regular 1Q69 Tonbridge to Derby NR Test train move, goes all round the houses, varying routes, usually always comes up through Sutton taking around 3-4 hours from South Croydon to Clapham, before finding a path to Kew and NLL, usually 2x 73’s but a pair of 66’s were trialled last summer... next ones in RTT in 2 weeks time.., this time via Guildford, Sutton and Victoria..

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H92074/2021-05-15/detailed

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

So why it was going hell for leather towards London I dont know, it was lights out, and sounded like it had a wheel flat, but where it was off to and why.

it would be a bit like seeing a Pacer heading towards Glossop.. you know they used to live local and have all gone, but you’d never see one on that line even when they were around.

Only those handful left now, and how long they've got is questionable, I think they are amongst the oldest daily used passenger stock still in service.

They run the 313s up to Selhurst depot occasionally for maintenance. I used to see them quite regularly at Selhurst (normally hidden around the back, so identities were never known), and saw a pair pass through Three Bridges at speed (northbound) a couple of years back.

2 hours ago, big jim said:

Lindon victoria, bognor and littlehampton tonight 

You'll be passing my local station on that trip, but at well past 1 in the morning, I won't be out with my camera! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

However there is an odd ball every day an ECS runs Tonbridge to London Bridge, reverse to Redhill, back to London Bridge and back to Tonbridge.

Pretty much always a South Eastern 375/377.
No idea for this daily ECS move, its SE’s only scheduled service on this line here’s todays run...

Thats for driver route knowledge! If an incident happens between Orpington and Tonbridge* then the diversion route for trains from Tunbridge Wells / Hastings is via Godstone, Redhill and Croydon.

* Yes I know there is the alternative route north of Sevenoaks but depending on where the incident happens things like emergency electrical isolations may preclude its use even if the tracks themselves are OK

Edited by phil-b259
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

it was a Southern 313... Coulsdon South is about 3 miles south from East Croydon (Zone 6 London) on the way to Redhill.

I’m aware they run the south coast line, but I didnt think they travelled any further north than Lewes ? About 40 miles South of here.

You occasionally get the coastway 313s being sent on test runs to Selhurst - the south coast routes are pretty full so finding paths for a decent run at line speed can be tricky.

Of course that doesn't mean that occasionally something needing doing to them which Lovers Walk doesn't have the time, capacity or skills to deal with but Selhurst does.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Going to keep an eye out for you tonight Jim.

weathers looking good for a clear dark night, so either Hackbridge station (not built up) or the road bridge above the very end of the platforms at Sutton (I think preferred as I can get the station on one side and the long straight to Cheam on the other camera).

Supposed to be a stop at Sutton, though I can’t imagine why at that hour, most of these tend to go early.

if I get early doors permission I may run down to Victoria or Wandsworth Road....

two locos in 12 hours at Victoria as 35028 Clan Line is in there at noon tomorrow on a pullman trial run.. first steam in Surrey in 12 very long steam free months !

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U91323/2021-05-07/detailed

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U91324/2021-05-07/detailed

Wandsworth road option means I could ride the parliamentary train thats 10 mins after your own.. 2245/ 2248 Wandsworth Rd- Battersea Park plat 2 service.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L72807/2021-05-06/detailed
Then jump down to vic and take the 2325 ahead of yours.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Hey Jim

Good to meet up again last night, even though it was a few rushed minutes ! Thanks for the extra input at Sutton !

Here's my video from Wandsworth Rd, the Battersea Park run.. whilst there the NHS CLass 377 came through, then Victoria and Sutton

Notice 099 has round buffers, can't be many 37's with those any more running round.

Noticed, I got you in shot as you were changing ends too.

Only my 3rd trip into the Capital since Feb 2020 (all 3 in the last 2 weeks), gosh.. for a thursday night the place was deserted ! - where's those hoards of city workers heading home on the last trains after Thursday night drinks gone.

Hope you enjoy your week in the Capital, certainly was a nice night last night after the storms of the last few days, say thanks to the other driver too, I think I met him at Tattenham Corner last year on 37175 too at midnight one morning, on this one.

Watching rail movements between 2300-3am has been quite pleasurable last year, ordinarily I'd be wary given the number of locals/workers/clubbers etc who use late night services and taxis and generally wandering Londons suburbs, but the lockdown completely cleared the streets and stations meaning you can hear anything!.. but usually ive seen no one at all apart from the driver and the odd bemused security guard. The lack of ability to travel means Ive learned my 4 sq miles quite well... especially the weekend ballasts that adhoc travel around in the witching hours.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My conductor is the same one I’ve had all week he’s based in Tonbridge but is an ex BR southern region second man and juice jockey so has immense london route knowledge

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cunningduck said:

Well done for the weight loss Jim!

What are the locker doors/clam shell doors on the Mk1 that is marshalled next to the loco? They look like some kind of access/unloading idea?

that’s an ex FGW motorail vehicle, the bottom of the sides (used to) drop down to form a ramp to allow the cars to board 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, big jim said:

My conductor is the same one I’ve had all week he’s based in Tonbridge but is an ex BR southern region juice jockey so has immense london route knowledge

Thanks for your swift reply Jim.

The reason for my question is indeed related to the complexity of the former SR, and the detailed knowledge and experience required to get around safely. Something that is extremely hard to build up when only working infrequently over such a variety of routes. 

Oh, and of course, loving your pics as always, Thankyou for your efforts!

Shed.

• RMweb Gold

I made the same comment last night to the driver, I’ve got a good route card, basically  from Carlisle to london Marylebone but it pails into insignificance compared to what he knows around london and the south east, I don’t think there was anywhere this last week he said “I don’t sign down there” remember Tonbridge depot also work the weed killers and SITT throughout the year over a lot of the lines so they can keep knowledge up on that job 

I certainly wouldn’t want to be a new driver coming into the job now based in the south east, ok they won’t have as much knowledge as an older hand ex BR driver but there is still a lot to learn especially if the job goes wrong and you need to divert off route around some obscure loop line!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I made the same comment last night to the driver, I’ve got a good route card, basically  from Carlisle to london Marylebone but it pails into insignificance compared to what he knows around london and the south east, I don’t think there was anywhere this last week he said “I don’t sign down there” remember Tonbridge depot also work the weed killers and SITT throughout the year over a lot of the lines so they can keep knowledge up on that job 

I certainly wouldn’t want to be a new driver coming into the job now based in the south east, ok they won’t have as much knowledge as an older hand ex BR driver but there is still a lot to learn especially if the job goes wrong and you need to divert off route around some obscure loop line!

A GBRF railtour on some of these RHTT and NRTT itinieries would be a great railtour to be on !

even if it had to be an overnight railtour some of the lines would be great rare mileage for loco haulage, compare these two from this week...

monday night / Tuesday am

Brighton to Littlehampton upto Croydon then Streatham, circular to Sutton, Wimbledon and Streatham to LBG then again but Epsom Downs, then Blackfriars (if this was 73’s they could go thru Thameslink) and back to Tonbridge.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H09097/2021-05-03/detailed

Tuesday afternoon until  Wednesday am

Kent circular ending at Blackfriars, then Croydon metrolines.. South Croydon, Oxted, Uckfield, East Grinstead, Caterham, Tattenham Corner back home...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H09104/2021-05-04/detailed

Add in some other rarities like Clapham to Wimbledon via the District Line, Battersea Park, the Express line from Streatham to Balham and linking Blackfriars to Cannon Street.

Theres some good itinieries there.

if only GBRF acquired those spare DRS mk2’s and made a charter rake.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

When I worked in Hartlepool the common saying was Labour could put a Monkey up for election and still win. After the last 48 hours I doubt that would still ring true.

I  stayed in hotels for a large part of my working life and although it sounds great the novelty soon wears off..

Thanks Jim for a wonderful  thread. I am not in very good health at the moment and so reading your thread and learning about the present day railway cheers me up no end.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Re access for prepping on the class 37s, they don't seem to comply with the DDA - no wheelchair access!

And a few posts back you comment on the lighting at Brighton. It looks to me like high pressure sodium, not tungsten. That was the height of technology when they would have been installed. Rather yellower than tungsten but a lot brighter - and no0t nearly as yellow as the low pressure sodium which was often used for road lighting.

Jonathan