Jump to content

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread


Recommended Posts

On 02/07/2021 at 15:03, big jim said:

And an unusual one from nuneaton, ledburn jn to bescot service, what I can assume is a rail recovery train top and tail with barrier wagons 

That's a 'Super Salmon' set Jim, two runners and a Super Salmon in the middle. Prototype was built as a trial to replace Salmon, as per this pic.

https://flic.kr/p/2gQHgf2

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/48465286737/

There's only three of them, used to carry bits of pointwork and speciality rails that are too long for a Salmon or Mullet.

 

Jo

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Interesting, never seen one before

 

headed off to london for the night this morning

8A7E3A15-026B-4A2D-AA05-85890C662DC8.jpeg.85e2e84440e900bf16a2368299d249fc.jpeg

 

passed my train from last night at Watford junction too

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 02/07/2021 at 15:03, big jim said:

And an unusual one from nuneaton, ledburn jn to bescot service, what I can assume is a rail recovery train top and tail with barrier wagons 

 

 

5 hours ago, Steadfast said:

That's a 'Super Salmon' set Jim, two runners and a Super Salmon in the middle. Prototype was built as a trial to replace Salmon, as per this pic.

https://flic.kr/p/2gQHgf2

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/48465286737/

There's only three of them, used to carry bits of pointwork and speciality rails that are too long for a Salmon or Mullet.

 

Jo

 

4 hours ago, big jim said:

Interesting, never seen one before

 

Hopefully the quote formatting works out, but: isn't it even stabled next to your loco from Bescot last night? (Or maybe you've seen 2 of the 3 in one day!)

 

19 hours ago, big jim said:

Only 3 from tonight, bescot to rugby with LUL map livery class 66721”Harry Beck”

 

001(863).JPG

 

 

Love the photos and videos Jim, and congratulations on the weight loss journey so far!!!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

What's the forward visibility like on these, Jim?

Probably no better than this, or even slightly worse? Taken from the drivers seat of 378004 in the maintenance building at New Cross Gate (East London Line).

 

378004ViewFromDrivingCab_(IS071009).JPG.6e2c7d1c1f8e5120c5db927e9dc43c28.jpg.90aaf2dcf098e3c8573c95930cdf14b3.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, big jim said:

A few from last night, different unit this time, 196108 

 

tyseley, when you see the old chiltern livery sat amongst the garish WMT livery you remember how much of a nice and simple no fuss livery it is! 

 

Got to agree, the old CT livery is nice and simple, and although the newer livery is a little more fussy, it certainly looks better than that beetroot and carrot chutney look that WMT have adopted.....

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A very subdued branding on 66135 but very smart.

But give me those Chiltern liveries any day rather than the yellow peril.

The only good thing about garish liveries is that at places such as Crewe it can make it easier to spot your train.

Thanks for continuing to post regularly.

Jonathan

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, big jim said:

my loco had bought 66796 

001(891).JPG

 

Is that one of the 'new' ones that've been brought over from mainland Europe? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Nick C said:

Is that one of the 'new' ones that've been brought over from mainland Europe? 

Built 2004 direct to Europe, worked initially from Rotterdam for Mitsui, later Germany for HGK, Rheincargo and ETF. Later it joined Freightliner in Germany, then Poland.

 

full details here, including 5 different liveries..

https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1000001&id=68429&action=portrait
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim,

 

I always enjoy reading this thread, thanks.

 

Can anyone tell me what the Tarmac wagons were in the video of freight trains at Stafford?

 

John P

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Just now, jpendle said:

 

Can anyone tell me what the Tarmac wagons were in the video of freight trains at Stafford?

 

 

i wondered what they were when i saw them too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, big jim said:

 

i wondered what they were when i saw them too!

 

And did they say "Ermewa" in red at the other end?

 

John P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...