Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

I remember exhibiting a layout at a railway depot open day some years back.

Whilst the BR regional manager was talking to us when one if our parcels vehicle's came off the track. He soon disappeared probably concerned that it might end up in the press.

Things have only got worse by the sounds of it

It's always been like that in some respects Ian - just that some of the private companies are a lot smaller than BR so the warning shots don't have so far to travel.  Many years ago I got a (very fair) bit of third degree after I had a letter published in 'Modern Railways' regarding a particular signal where a Driver allegedly misunderstood the route and managed to get his passenger train very seriously derailed as a result.  All I did was explain out the form the signal took when first erected and the form it was altered to prior to commissioning (all before I joined BR as it happened).  I think what caused the problem was that following the derailment it was altered back to the way it had first been erected!

The other thing 'everybody on the railway' needs to bear in mind is that the media (as a general term - many individuals in that sphere are far more sensible and responsible) likes to sling mud at the industry, even if it's not correct, and any little hint of something that might come up on the 'net can produce some ammunition for them.  We know such media are idiots, but many of the folk who read it or see it or hear it haven't got a clue and tend to believe anything they read in a 'paper, see on the telly, or come across on the 'net.  So the watchword is take care and think before hitting 'send'.

Nowadays it is more than the "Media" who take cheap shots. the "Internet" allows any number of "Experts", Mike.

It is all around us here... I know you meant that but I wanted to reiterate it!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

couple of pics before i book on to work to chirk at 18:10....

class 66/67 combo in warrington

null-189.jpg

noticed they were coupled using the buckeye

null-190.jpg

there is also a sticker on the 67, in a similar style to the old BR blue era shed stickers with 'BB been boffed' on it, also saw one on a signal post outside carlisle last week, someone at schenker having a laugh i recon

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The Landlord of the Alexandra pub near the station is Ralf Edge - one time prolific poster on here but I haven't seen his name on RMweb for a few years now.

Local news report here

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/VIDEO-train-standing-Ralf-s-pub-car-park-brewing/story-19259697-detail/story.html

Mike

• RMweb Gold

worked the logs to carlisle today, nice to do a daytime run along the WCML, 56087 at the helm, good run, first stop grayrigg then straight on to carlisle

something a bit different tomorrow, pair of 66s from nottingham to bescot, i think they are originating in peterborough but i dont sign there so am relieving the other driver at nottingham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Landlord of the Alexandra pub near the station is Ralf Edge - one time prolific poster on here but I haven't seen his name on RMweb for a few years now.

Local news report here

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/VIDEO-train-standing-Ralf-s-pub-car-park-brewing/story-19259697-detail/story.html

Mike

another RMwebber paid a visit last weekend ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445129678916847&set=a.160017580761393.33773.100002594571917&type=1&theater

That hard hat in the cab of 66850 - at first glance, my immediate thought was "why is there a cake mixing bowl in the cab...?" :O :no:

Durrrr.....

mmmmm - cake.......

not just me then? i had to check twice :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

something a bit different tomorrow, pair of 66s from nottingham to bescot, i think they are originating in peterborough but i dont sign there so am relieving the other driver at nottingham

0Z66, Whitemoor - Bescot - 66849 and 846 I believe.

• RMweb Premium

0Z66, Whitemoor - Bescot - 66849 and 846 I believe.

Will this spell the end of the short run of 56's on the Carlisle logs?

Back up to load 21 via the S&C?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Will this spell the end of the short run of 56's on the Carlisle logs?

Back up to load 21 via the S&C?

Cheers,

Mick

No, Loco move to get them in position for a job tonight on the north warwick line

The logs are cancelled tonight due to a possession between chirk and shrewsbury but are running the rest of the week, unfortunatly ive been taken off my road refresh jobs to work it!

• RMweb Premium

No, Loco move to get them in position for a job tonight on the north warwick line

The logs are cancelled tonight due to a possession between chirk and shrewsbury but are running the rest of the week, unfortunatly ive been taken off my road refresh jobs to work it!

So that means via WCML then and not S&C?

Don't mind me.....   :beee:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

a few from today...

having trouble with the link to the first picture so you will have to click it to see it full size, nottingham station with the new bridge for the tram in place

th_DSCF3995.jpg

couple of EMT units

DSCF3996.jpg

DSCF3997.jpg

locos for the day

DSCF4002.jpg

and into bescot....

DSCF4001.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

certainly do get around, heading off to stafford in a bit to work a 47 to carlisle then back to crewe with the sinfin tanks

class 66 back on the logs for the rest of the week

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

certainly do get around, heading off to stafford in a bit to work a 47 to carlisle then back to crewe with the sinfin tanks

class 66 back on the logs for the rest of the week

How come? 847 fixed?