Peckett's "Yorktown" class

Peter - did you note that I put the correct dimension of the frames in my last post? My notes are downstairs so I'll check on what you have said about the other things later.

I've made a start.

post-494-0-41985800-1366912525.jpg

Here we have patterns for the frames (unfinished), front buffer beam, cab front and wheel.

The frames and buffer beam will be 1/16th brass but I have yet to check out how thin the brass sheet can be for milling the cab front. The wheel centre will be made up of layers and turned to the required thickness in the lathe. The outer layer will have the thickness of the edge milled back as the prototype wheel has a recess.

Dave, I've heard back from Gary and he doesn't have any drawings but mentions that the NRM hold a lot of Peckett drawings including some yorktown ones. He does have a copy of the drawings list he could email if that helps?

If you can get square side-on photos of the side, rear and front elevations of the locomotive, using known dimensions you can usually create your own general arrangement diagram, which will give you enough of the basic layout and measurements of the locomotive to build your own model from. Manufacturer's drawings are not always as useful as one may think, as a locomotive may have been altered or modified during its working life, and could be substantially different from the original arrangements!

Ixion discovered this with the the 13x20" Hudswell Clarke, which was originally based on the Easingwold Railway locomotive.

Dave, I've heard back from Gary and he doesn't have any drawings but mentions that the NRM hold a lot of Peckett drawings including some yorktown ones. He does have a copy of the drawings list he could email if that helps?

I'll see how I get on with my photos and measurements first. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just wondered, 2 years on, if Ruston ever completed the model or anyone finalised a scale drawing?

There is interest on Rmweb in the Blackwater & Yorktown Gasworks & loco, and on the G0G website. I still plan to build one...next year. Updates welcomed.

I see Slaters do a 14mm wheel in their narrow Gauge range so the build is possible for folks like me without a machine shop.

Dava

Hi Dava,

I am on the case, having chased 'Teddy' from the NRM to Chasewater Railway. It's currently on loan to Bristol Museums until September, and I have permission to go and measure it when it returns, as it's only about 50 miles away.

As soon as I have had a chance to crawl all over it I will sort drawings out and anyone who wants photo's and drawings will be welcome.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks & that will be most useful, look forward to seeing chocolate-liveried one in due course and maybe a 7mm scale Yorktown rally one day.

Dava

Shouldn't be too far behind the measure up, I've had the main pieces, and even the works plates, for some time, waiting to go.

post-18627-0-75964500-1439814871_thumb.jpg

though I expect it to run as badly as the real one, which by all accounts couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and got a sideways promotion to the Blackpole factory, where there were no inclines.

With tiny wheels like this it's going to need a fair bit of luck to stop it falling down the gaps at turnouts, thank heavens for keep alives, (if they will fit anywhere).

I don't see it becoming a trusted workhorse, more the runt of the litter.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Peter,

You are clearly a few steps ahead of me on this one!  There's no reason why it should not run reasonably well, my 1287 Peckett has the same wheelbase and runs sweetly enough, it could shunt 8 wagons on my last layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/42964-peckett-class-1287/

But Peco turnout gaps with the fine wheel treads are a risk. Jim Snowden suggests increasing the back-back measurements with a Scaleseven washer from Slaters. Maybe a 'Peckett pulling the skin off a mug of Bournville cocoa challenge' is appropriate?

Dava

It was the small diameter of the wheels that I wasn't sure of, but time alone will tell, it comes from being a born pessimist, - I'm rarely disappointed!

Like the idea of putting some rocking in the one axle, not something I have ever done before, but might give it a go on this one, to help keep all 4 wheels on the track.

It was the small diameter of the wheels that I wasn't sure of, but time alone will tell, it comes from being a born pessimist, - I'm rarely disappointed!

Like the idea of putting some rocking in the one axle, not something I have ever done before, but might give it a go on this one, to help keep all 4 wheels on the track.

Put a bit of rock in the non-driven axle will help with pick up.

Gordon A

Bristol

Point of order chaps. The real 'Teddy' is, by all accounts, rather a good little toy. At Chasewater it comfortably handles a 2 coach train and runs very nicely.

You're quite right of course, it was probably more about what Cadbury's expected No 8 to do, having to climb from below the main line level up to the bridge over the main in a very short distance, then drop back down to the warehousing at Waterside.

post-18627-0-84968700-1439902175_thumb.jpg

This meant it was just not fit for purpose, and hence the move to Blackpole. However on level track it is perfectly capable of holding its own.

On my layout similar conditions exist, exacerbated by compression of the length of the climb, but not the height, meaning that the little fellow will, like its real life counterpart, be confined to shunting on the level at Waterside.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry if it seems a bit obsessive that I'm back on this thread, but I wondered how many locos there were in the Peckett 'Yorktown' mini-class of mini-locos?

Here in Nova Scotia I don't have access to the Frank Jux Peckett workslist or sources such as IRS pocketbooks etc. Below are listed the four locos I know of. Two were built for gasworks (works 1197 & 1612)  and two for Royal Ordnance Factories in WW2 where they were presumably useful for going round tight curves (2012, 2014, odd that 2012 dated 1942 and 2014 dated 1941). 1197 also ended up at a ROF. Was there a 2013 in this series for the ROF, or any others? And what happened to 1612? Brief details of what I found below. Please feel free to add...

Peckett 0-4-0ST ‘Yorktown’ class locomotives

Original
1197 of 1909 ‘Lily’ Yorktown & Blackwater Gas Co. Camberley
ROF Hirwaun 1942-53,  Hayes Bridgend 1953, Rees Industries Llanelly 1954, scr. 1962
https://opobs.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/a-very-brief-history-of-lily/

1612 of 1922 Weston-Super-Mare Gaslight Co. (In 'Industrial Steam Album' vol 2 p9)

2012 of 1942 ROF Creekmoor 1944 ROF Llanishen 1959 sold 1972 preserved ER Boston, Now ‘Teddy’

2014 of 1941 ROF Blackpole http://www.miac.org.uk/cadburyblackpole.html
Cadbury Bourneville No.8  from 1946 to 1952. See #18

Thanks

Dava

Guest Isambarduk

I am sorry that I cannot help with information on this class; I no longer have access to "Peckett & Sons, Locomotive Works List, Compiled by Frank Jux, 1987, Distributed by The Industrial Locomotive Society", which would most likely help answer your question.  The excellent book "Peckett & Sons Ltd, An Album of Official Photographs, complied by Andrew Smith and published by the Industrial Railway Society, 2014 [iSBN 978 1 901556 77 3]" has not helped, and it does not list the 'Yorktown' class as a standard class (nor any class with 2' diameter wheels), as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, if anybody is interested in the Peckett E Class (soon to be available RTR in 7mm scale from Minerva Model Railways), I have collated information here: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Peckett-E-Class.htm

1054-peckett.jpg
Source: Martyn Bane's Steam and Travel Pages
Works No. 1054 of 7/1907 E Class, supplied to Loughor Colliery Co., Loughor, Glamorganshire

David

There is a total of 11 'Yorktown' locos listed in the Peckett works list:-

1197  ex works 7/4/1909  to Yorktown & Blackwater Gas Co.

1573  ex works 2/11/1920  to Cheltenham Gas Light & Coke Co.

1612   ex works 4/10/1922  to Weston-Super-Mare Gas Co.

1669  ex works 23/7/1924  to J.& J.Colman Ltd., Norwich

2010  ex works 14/1/1941  to ROF Hayes

2011  ex works 18/2/1941  to ROF Steeton, near Keighley, Yorks

2012  ex works 26/3/1941  to ROF Poole

2013   ex works 16/5/1941  to ROF Cardiff (Llanishen Factory)

2014  ex works 5/7/1941  to ROF Blackpole, Worcs

2015  ex works 28/7/1941  to ROF Hayes

2034  ex works 27/5/1943  to Altrincham Gas Co.          

Archived