BRM Digital Version

Theakerr

I have recently read in a magazine and on the MRM Magazine web page that the digital version can be downloaded to an i-pad and then read without any internet connection.  Does this mean that you actually have a digital copy on ones personal machine and does this capability exist only for i=pads or is it available for other electronic media, e.g on a PC?  One of the reason I will not go digital is that even though I "purchased" the mag I do not actually have physical ownership on my PC.  So if there has been a change in policy it would have a big impact on my future purchases.

I now only use digital media for magazines, including BRM. There was an update for the iPad recently, the Pocketmedia app, that allows you to download the mag to your device and read as and when you like. It is also available on the iPhone in the same way for no extra cost if the 2 devices are linked through the same account.

I can't speak for other devices like android or windows though, sorry.

Mark

I now only use digital media for magazines, including BRM. There was an update for the iPad recently, the Pocketmedia app, that allows you to download the mag to your device and read as and when you like. It is also available on the iPhone in the same way for no extra cost if the 2 devices are linked through the same account.

I can't speak for other devices like android or windows though, sorry.

Mark

Thks.  I am not familiar with all the details of an i-pad but are the mags searchable and can you print off a page (so that you can have it in front of you as you work)

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, you can read BRM on your laptop using pocketmags browser, but you have to be online. BRM and Hornby use Pocketmags. Their iPhone/iPad app is pretty good, the Android one gets poor reviews, but I've not used this app. They have an offline reader here: http://www.pocketmags.com/offlinereader/offline_reader.aspx so you can download when online and read some other time. Railway Modeller can be read offline on a non-pc device even if you don't renew your subscription. You can only read them on a pc while subscribed though.

The ability to print depends on the publisher - Hornby doesn't allow it because they say you could always buy the print copy (a pain in the backside as not always possible to get here in Canada. I sometimes wonder if restrictions are added on digital files for the sake of it - wat would stop me from photocopying/scanning a print version?). I subscribe digitally to RM, BRM, Hornby and Model Trains. Only RM provides you with search, and then only within the mag you are looking at.

Hope that helps.

Jason

I subscribe to BRM online, downloading them to my PC and reading at a later date using their offline reader. My question is, where do I find the downloaded copies (by default) on my PC? Other things that I have scanned myself (articles from mags for instance) I store on a specific HDD in specially created folders, and I would like to move BRM into that system if possible.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I *think* this was asked once before and there wasn't a way of doing it. There aren't any entries (keys) in the registry that point to a particular folder, so probably no way of directing the reader to look at files somewhere else. I tend to see it as a black box and just let it get on with it.

I just downloaded the iPad app and purchased a few BRM back issues.  Now I'm trying to also view them on my PC using the PocketMags offline app, but it's not letting me log in.  Does anyone know what I need to do to gain access to my purchases via my PC?

I'm not going to want to keep them on my iPad forever, but I would like to archive them on my PC for later use.

An update that may help someone else in the future...

As it turns out the Pocketmags iPad app can't resolve App Store account passwords with special characters (!@#$%^&*()_+| etc...).  You need to create a separate password for your Pocketmags account that is compliant.

In addition, if you create your web based account after you've downoaded the iPad app and made purchases Pocketmags staff need to manually add your old purchases to your web account.

I just downloaded the iPad app and purchased a few BRM back issues.  Now I'm trying to also view them on my PC using the PocketMags offline app, but it's not letting me log in.  Does anyone know what I need to do to gain access to my purchases via my PC?

I'm not going to want to keep them on my iPad forever, but I would like to archive them on my PC for later use.

After reading all the posts it looks as though i will continue to sit on the sidelines and wait until the electronic version is plug and play AND meets my underlying requirements for a publication.  Hope the BRM marketeers are reading and more importantly taking notice although if they have a MBa in marketing!!!!!

They like marketing. I get the digital edition on an ipad and BRM is the only one among dozens of magazines that sends push prompts all through the month, annoyingly, and even does it once you've purchased the issue. It doesn't make me want to buy it, in fact it looks alarmingly desperate.

However, the mag content seems to have improved again lately, so I'm willing to put up with the annoyance!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

thought I would try this out on my android and it was an OK read. However, I then went to see the same mag on my laptop and it's not showing up in "my magazines"

Surely I'm not expected to buy two downloads to get it on both devices - that would be like having to buy one paper mag to read on the bus, and another one to read at home.

Hopefully somebody will point out the blindingly obvious thing I'm going wrong....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin,

I have just been in touch with Pocketmags who say: login on www.pocketmags.com with the username that he signed in to Android app

Give it a go and let me know if all is OK.

Thanks,

Steve

No good Steve, I had already tried that but just did it again - still have just one mag on each device.

Edit to say my purchase receipt says "magcloner" - have I been inadvertently misdirected or is this part of pocketmags?

• Administrators

Hi Colin,

I'm told there may be a short delay as you purchased the issue earlier today. However, can you try going into 'My Magazines' once more and refreshing the page. Fingers crossed.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin,

I'm told there may be a short delay as you purchased the issue earlier today. However, can you try going into 'My Magazines' once more and refreshing the page. Fingers crossed.

Steve

you are right steve. I have just gone back and both are present. I have also just downloaded the offline reader so I can save the mags locally to my laptop. Thanks. I am sorry if people thought this was a bit person-centric, but I hope the info will be useful to others. Thanks for your trouble.

Edit to ask, is there an offline reader for android?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I think androids vary, mine cannot store apps on the SD card so I don't seem to get that local copy

Edit, although I can't see where it is stored, the app does in fact work for offline reading on my Samsung

I can't find this on an faq anywhere. I already subscribe to the printed version of BRM. Can I get the digital version free like I can with Railway Modeller or do I have to buy it twice if I want both the printed and digital versions?

Archived