BRM Digital Version

Theakerr

Andy York appears to monitor this thread. But I am having one issue with the Pocketmags software Android version. After the latest Pocketmags software update, I am unable to open a downloaded issue when not connected to the internet. My tablet (Samsung Galaxy S 10.5) connects only through WiFi and only on my home network for security reasons. This makes the magazine unreadable anywhere else.

Have Pocketmags gone the same slippery path as Railway Modeler's software and require connection to validate subscription status?

Oh Bum that's exactly how I run my tablet albeit not yet tried Pocket mag recently.  I do also have free BT wireless which does allow me to connect away from home if I wish.  I would rather be able to D/L and store so no need to go online I'm sure if security was the problem they could block the copy and send facility thus protecting their product from pirating.

I have subscribed to BRM over the internet and download onto my Ipad. I have been very happy with the quality and it is so cost effective being less than half the price from the newsagent. Also the magazine is here when published instead of 2 months later that they appear in Australian Newsagents.

I was hoping to be able to save issues on my MAC computer after a few months to save IPAD memory but Pocketmags do not do a reader to use with a MAC. They do a PC version. Zinio do a reader for both formats, so why can't Pocketmags.

There are other railway titles available from Pockmags, but I will not subscribe until they can provide a MAC reader.

Les Fordham,

Australia.

If I remember correctly BRM used to use Zinio. They switched several years ago when they came up with the UK based Pocketmags affiliation. I got a free year of Playboy for my unused remainder of the BRM subscription.

Of course I only read the cartoons and jokes......

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in a subscription of BRM on my tablet as I live in Switzerland...I downloaded the app and in the start screen whenever I try to select an issue the app is crashing. I tried the Pocketmag app for another magazine and it was working...only the BRM app keeps crashing...bummer....I installed it, uninstalled it...the same. Of course my tablet is not the best (Lifetab 10in) but I have never encountered such problems with apps....

It is probably the combination of my hardware that the app does not like and I hope it get fixed. Until that point no BRM for me.....

Cheers

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

Paid for the BRM digital subscription, only to find i couldn't download the latest edition - I wasn't eligible or something - so thinking my app had spazzed I uninstalled the Android app & attempted a re-install only to find its been removed from the Play store... Great...

Just as a warning to other android app users - dont uninstall it at the moment or you'll be without the means to pop it back on.

Hi,

I was seriously thinking of moving my BRM & Hornby subscriptions to digital. But after downloading free samples I've decided not to. It was my intention to use the Pocketmags offline reader as my 'ereader', but software seems somewhat erratic and prone to crashes. 

Ironically the N Gauge Society has it just right (for my needs anyway), can you buy a years back issues on cd in pdf format, for a few pounds, so you dont need to keep the paper copies.

If the BRM / Hornby publishers put their digital issues out as cds I would be more than willing to subscribe on that basis even without a significant digital discount. Unfortunately I doubt they will.   

I overcame the problem that I mentioned before by downloading the app of Pocketmags and not the special app of BRM. That works stable.

Cheers

Andreas

Thanks Andreas,

My main motivation was the problem of storage. Taking 3 mags a month (2 on subscription) leaves a lot of mags to store.

I think my problem with pocketmags is possibly due to the fact that I have Win7 not Win8.

In any event I have decided to cancel my subs and revert to buying in WH Smiths. That way I can probably limit myself to 1 mag a month, plus the 'annuals' from the 3 publishers.

• 3 weeks later...

I find when you press play on the video, if you tap on it again there is a little gear icon, click that and then click on the youtube icon.  Youtube app shows the whole video flawlessly and I just stream it to my chromecast to watch it on the big screen  (the in-built video player for the poketmags app can be abit finicky especially when you accidently alter the rotation of my tablet!

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well my worst fears have come true.  Not only have 8 issues of BRM suddenly disappeared from my iPad (on Friday last), but emails sent then and yesterday requesting restitution have simple gone unanswered.  Sticking to print would seem the wiser bet, albeit less convenient for me and less profitable for BRM, as I always bought far fewer issues in that form than I have since on line.  

This issue was a little peppier downloaded on my Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 Android than previously. No paging or sizing problems.  BRM is getting better.  I still think Model Railroad Hobbyist is still the gold standard for electronic railroad/railway publications. MRH backed off from a newer technology format as it did not handle advertisers right and that is what keeps MRH free,

I am surprised that BRM is still such a pain for managing online magazines.   Until it improves vastly I'll not be bothering with it which is a pity as I would like to use it but after my last try a year ago it still sounds trouble.

I do agree with autocoach Ken above in that MRH is so easy to use ........ and it's free.

Archived