BRM Digital Version

Theakerr

• Administrators

I can't find this on an faq anywhere. I already subscribe to the printed version of BRM. Can I get the digital version free like I can with Railway Modeller or do I have to buy it twice if I want both the printed and digital versions?

Hi,

Sorry, but a subscription to the BRM Digital Edition isn't linked to the printed subscription at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve. You sensibly did not say it couldn't be done, so should I take "at the moment" to mean that Warners have plans to introduce this? And if so when and why not now? Very odd (and inconvenient!) that they should be lagging behind the much smaller Peco on that front. Naturally I acquit Warners of cynically holding it back in the hope that subscribers will pay twice, but RM still looks like the market leader in digital.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just got a new iPad running ios7

Since everything over to it, but when I click on the bit in the newsstand app where brm should be it comes up with a loading screen and then quits back to the selection screen, I can't get into brm to view my saved issues.

Any idea how to fix?

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

I'm running IOS7 on ipad2 and BRM is running fine and I didn't have to up-date the app. I have had problems in the past and reloading the app and then reloading the magazines has worked but its a pain in the backside to have do it.

Terry

I have a problem with missing pages, I download the issue and there are two or three pages missing, I then have to delete it and start the download all over again. It is usually ok with the second try but it is a bit irritating. It's a very good thing we have lots of bandwidth.

does anyone else have the same problem?

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Redgate. I haven't had a problem with any of the different magazine brands since I started downloading mine off-peak. Also, sometimes things go wrong and you may end up with the same magazine image on the download list twice. This happened to me, I had two issues of the same magazine on the download list and I couldn't download either of them. I couldn't do anything about it myself, so I sent a message to PocketMags and they had it sorted for me within 24 hours, which was great.

• RMweb Premium

I have just bought my first Tablet the Tesco Hudl, which when using Tesco points is remarkably cheap and found it performs very well. I  Down loaded the BRM app from google play and all I could get was it saying nothing in the library and it offering to sell me a subscription. Eventually I wiped the down loaded App and logged in to the Pocketmaps account and downloaded the app from there ( it sent you to Google play!) and then it worked!

Having tried one edition so far on the Tablet, I find it a more enjoyable experience (than the PC) even though I'm having to move the view around and expand the screen to read the pages. On The PC version the text on a 24 inch screen is just a little to small for me to read at a page per view and I find it frustrating to have to have to resize all the time !?

The Q

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have been offered an e-sub to BRM and am thinking about taking it up but I wanted to know the difference of buying through Pocketmags and iTunes store. My understanding is that if purchased via iTunes I will only be able to look on my iPhone but if I purchase via Pocketmags I can look on any supported platform? would I correct in my assumption? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Could I ask if anyone has had trouble trying to log out of their Pocketmags account please? I set one up recently after getting a Samsung Tablet, and although I have had no trouble logging in, trying a variety of the free issues available, and viewing them on both the tablet and PC, I have yet to be able to log out of the account in the proper manner on any machine using the log-out link, it just doesn't work, although all other page links are fine. I have to just close the page down to exit the site.

All the helpline want to do is keep re-setting my password, which achieves nothing.

I know I'm probably being over-cautious, but until I can do this I don't feel the site is secure enough to use it to purchase anything, although of course I realise that many others do so on a daily basis.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nile, I'm glad it's not just me. I just had another request from the Pocketmags help team to try using Chrome or Firefox as they believe it to be a browser issue despite the fact I've been using a (Chrome based) android tablet at times. I'll advise them on what I now believe the issue to be (javascript), if that's okay.

Izzy

Thanks for the replies gents, I am still in two minds as to subscribing and have diverted my pressie gift to second WS book on buildings ;) and will look at this again after Xmas. I did buy a copy on smifs other day for the 2FS article by Mick Simpson on finescaling the Farish J39 and like the new look BRM but online article has more info..

• 3 weeks later...

I have downloaded my first edition of BRM, and very happy with it. However, in the 'go digital' blurb, it mentions two features that I have not been able to find. One is live web links (clicking on any link in the mag just brings up the contents bar) and the other is images with a small dot icon which open a new gallery, I have not found any such icons?

HI

Well I am now confused as to whether I am classed as a subscriber or not?  I subscribed for the past 8 months through pocket mags, fine, it all works great. but....

I decided to register on Model Rail Live, but it asks for a subscriber number..... hmmm... Ok so I ring the help line number and they say they do not deal with electronic subscriptions, fair enough, so does that mean I am not in fact a subscriber and not entitled to the offers for the shows etc?

WHAT A PAIN IN THE..........

Having once tried the BRM digital version but found it such a faff to go through "pocket mags" that I killed it off.  It so put me off that I changed mags too.

I've just had an email to try a FREE digital sample of the February mag so off I go to look, bummer.  First thing is you have to log in again so not a true free to click and view version.  But hey ho I dug out my old log in details and away we go................................errrrr well no even after loging in I had to do multiple clicks to get to the free mag page.  No no no I will log in then I want to be able to open the mag ok.

Then I find it isn't a full free sample mag but only a sample of the full mag bummer again.  As It also doesn't include the extras that the hard copy has I don't think I'll bother again so I have killed it off again.

I will now revert to buying selected mags depending on their content so that I have choice and I suggest that BRM if they ever want me to take their digital version they 1/ make it free on receipt of a purchased hard copy. and 2/  make it a damn site easier to gain access to the purchased mags.

Regards

Archived