BRM Digital Version

Theakerr

Just tried the digital edition on an iPad.

Early observations this is very much a digitised print version, not taking advantage of digital features in my opinion, but this may be down to the limitations of the software they are using.

I would like picture captions to be larger on initial display to avoid having to zoom to read them.

Gallery pictures do not swipe when you pinch zoom.

Landscape layout 'Focus' pages are a pain, when you rotate to view, they rotate again, yes I know I can lock rotation, but why, when other digital publications work okay. Better still, layout these pages to work better for the digital edition.

Make photos tap zoomable.

In portrait mode make photos that span pages butt up to be complete, this may well be a limitation of the App in portrait mode.

Martin

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm happy with my digital subscription.. But had the opportunity to notice something about the pocket mags app today.

I have sat on my desk a ASUS Transformer Prime (My tablet) the screen res is 1280x800 and next to it is an iPad air screen res 2048x1536. 

Now clearly the newer iPad has a much better screen, that's just product evolution. But the real kicker is the aspect ratio. The Android tab is slightly squashed, which gives not quite clear text and black bands at the top and bottom. Pocket Mags fills the screen on the iPad and does look really nice. I'd like to try on a newer Android tablet, but I fear the technology that pocketmags is using is designed for the iPad and therefore the Android version isn't quite as well delivered. 

Can anyone comment on a Nexus 10? Which has a much higher res than the iPad.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks, I have a slow connection well terrible to be honest here at the beach, I think my ISP needs to chuck another lump of coal on the server. Theres links below allowing you to go to next page and last page but as they say back home nowts happening. Oh and I love the magazine.

Rebooted and it worked a treat I now see all the available back issues.

I have just picked up a copy of the Over Peover BRM supplement and in it an ad states that "all future issues will BE STORED ON YOUR COMPUTER or tablet device.  I am trying to avoid the eons it seems to take to get a straightforward answer from the web page and am asking if anyone knows if it really means what it says and if it works for an i-Mac.  (In the past it would not work on an i-Mac according to the information I got from the distributer)

Thanks

• Moderators

I don't have an Apple or mobile device. It appears that, unless I have such a gadget I can't get the magazine on digital for Windows without a lot of squit. Therefore I'll pass until the problem is solved. 

Hello, have you tried downloading digital issues on Windows? If you are having any difficulties, please send me a PM.

Howard

Im using it on the Mac and love it, I won’t be renewing any of my paper subscriptions when they lapse. For some reason I can only show back issues to June of this year, is this when it first went digital?

Andy W

Hi Andy, is that an iMac? if so how? i can't find any way of viewing the digital editions on my Mac. Works fine on the iPad using 'Newstand' but thats not available on the Mac. I find the screen just a bit too small on the iPad.

Ray.

I did follow up on my own question and the answer was basically, there is no app for any of the i-mac family of desktops (laptops?), so the only way the digital version can be viewed is on line.  There are apps for i-pads and the mag can be physically stored on the i-pad.  There are apps for a PC and the digital edition can be downloaded to them.  Most annoying since i will not subscribe until there is a version that lets me store it on my machine.  It would be interesting to know how many modellers have only a mac desktop.  Here in the Great white North I would put the number at 30 to 40%.  It seems that we prefer macs over PCs

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, is that an iMac? if so how? i can't find any way of viewing the digital editions on my Mac. Works fine on the iPad using 'Newstand' but thats not available on the Mac. I find the screen just a bit too small on the iPad.

Ray.

Hi Ray yes it's an IMac and I use pocketmags..

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations BRM

Just tried my electronic subscription in the download version on an Android Samsung Galaxy S10.5 and I must congratulate BRM on the Apad version. Excellent photo reproduction with zoom. Some of the ads are still too small to read when zoomed but all the articles were delightful in the Apad.  Now I have to expand the Apad with an 128 GB add in storage card so I can store more issues.

The PC online reader version from Pocketmags left a lot to be desired. About 18 months ago the Poocektmags BRM download stopped working on the PC and I was reduced to reading with the online reader. I almost gave up digital versions and any UK mag subscriptions because of it. Now I am pleased as punch with the electronic version. A little tweaking needs to be done and I don't know how it will transition to the Lollipop upgrade version of Android when that is released to the masses (probably Q1 2015) But for the moment I am satisfied and can recommend it .  Now remember that I am looking at it on a 10.5 inch tablet with the latest Android OS.  Your experience may vary.

Ok Acoach I'll give it another go but my previous PC etc tries were a comple waste of time.

I hated the pc electronic version too. Could never get the download to work and MicroSoft Silverlight is either a real piece of work or Pocketmags messed up the implementation for BRM in Windows 7.  I manage a large web based software system that use Silverlight 5 for advanced web graphics so I think I know which way I think the fault lies.

Only when I got the new notepad did the electronic version become useful. Use either a late model A-pad (I just got a new Galaxy S 10.5 with latest release of Kit-Kat Android software) or an Ipad with a large screen and lots of pixels. Download to whatever pad and read from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy York appears to monitor this thread.  But I am having one issue with the Pocketmags software Android version. After the latest Pocketmags software update, I am unable to open a downloaded issue when not connected to the internet.  My tablet (Samsung Galaxy S 10.5)  connects only through WiFi and only on my home network for security reasons. This makes the magazine unreadable anywhere else.

Have Pocketmags gone the same slippery path as Railway Modeler's software and require connection to validate subscription status?

Just tried the digital edition on an iPad.

Early observations this is very much a digitised print version, not taking advantage of digital features in my opinion, but this may be down to the limitations of the software they are using.

Look at the free US Model Railroad Hobbyist to see what a non-print electronic magazine can look like. And it downloads as a pdf document readable anywhere your pc/tablet/phone is located without internet connection.  You just don't go anywhere when clicking on a url in an ad. MRH is supported entirely by advertising and beats the pants off the electronic pay for subscription to the old US standard Railroad Modeler.

• RMweb Gold

Look at the free US Model Railroad Hobbyist to see what a non-print electronic magazine can look like. And it downloads as a pdf document readable anywhere your pc/tablet/phone is located without internet connection.  You just don't go anywhere when clicking on a url in an ad. MRH is supported entirely by advertising and beats the pants off the electronic pay for subscription to the old US standard Railroad Modeler.

Yeah, MRH is a great mag, though I keep forgetting about it. It beats Railroad Modeler hands down, the reason for me is that in RM the same articles see to be regurgitated over and over again. I cancelled my subs last year.

'fraid I've given up with the digital versions not only on cost grounds but just too difficult to work with, I basically want point and click and in.  I'll give that USA one a fly by it might even have a UK element to it and at least I'll know if what I think a good mag site should be is attainable.

Thank god for RMWeb is what I say.

Thanks for the heads up on the MRH I'll go and look.

Regards

Archived