Help me, I think I'm turning into a rivet counter!

• RMweb Premium

I think that I am coming down with the symptoms of being a rivet counter. When I look at layouts lately, I think "well, that's not accurate at all".

Next, I might have to open my mouth and tell off the layout owner how inaccurate his layout is.

Is it curable?

;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that I am coming down with the symptoms of being a rivet counter. When I look at layouts lately, I think "well, that's not accurate at all".

Next, I might have to open my mouth and tell off the layout owner how inaccurate his layout is.

Is it curable?

;)

No, but it is controllable by finding a suitable wall and then repeatedly banging your head against it in frustration.

if you do find the urge to critisize, then do it in the method described as 'Damning with faint praise'.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I think recognising others' mistakes simply reflects a greater awareness of how things should be. Mentioning the fact to the other modeller can be unhelpful, needs to be ultra-diplomatic, may not win you many friends if done clumsily. Meanwhile, as others have said, continue to look just as closely at your own modelling - if any - and make sure you apply the same critical judgement, at least. None of us knows it all, and the more we know, the less we can accept mediocrity. Compromises, nevertheless, are a part of modelling - and accepting them may help to get the model you actually achieve, rather than the one you never do. A question of balance, IMHO, and that probably applies to that other chap's model that you know isn't quite right, so perhaps he/she deserves some slack?

• Like 12

I don't think that there is much wrong with becoming a rivet counter but restrict it to your own efforts.Since my recent sojourn into this wonderful hobby I have gained so much knowledge of the subject mainly because it is so easy to research.However the obvious vast knowledge and standards attained by others on here and elsewhere always keeps me in my place.I would never criticise the efforts of anyone else.

....everyone is a rivet counter to some extent...usually in areas where they have broader knowledge and expertise. I once saw a very mediocre layout at an exhibiton with nothing to recommend it stockwise and yet the gardens of the modelled cottages looked superb. All manner of vegetable crops were very well represented and I spent an enjoyable 20 minutes or so listening to the older chap explain that his allotment was the joy of his life and that the model railway connection was due to his grandson liking model railways but wanting some help with the scenery aspect. It was a great story and for that reason one of my favourite layouts in the show on the day.

Maybe this guy was a 'radish' counter?

Cheers

Dave    

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 17

No, there is no cure ... there is no hope for you now!!  :P

I think Ian (Olddudders) summed it up nicely. A couple of others have also put a nice rational slant on it too.

I suppose that even though we become aware of inaccuracies, we still have to be tolerant and allow others to run their layouts the way they wish to. If they ask questions then we should answer honestly but without negative criticism. I still remember the long and torturous learning process with my modelling ... come to think of it, that is still going on right now!!  :)

• Like 1

Is it curable?

;)

I've been doing that for years. I generaly keep quiet though unless I feel that the builder can take a bit of constructive criticism, and its always important to remember that you're looking at someones pride and joy. However, I do also wonder if I could do any better, and I wouldn't let a few inaccuracies spoil my enjoyment of an otherwise good layout.

I've only been on this forum for a short while and I too am starting to feel as if I've been infected too. And I haven't even so much as built a model of my own yet...

I'm hoping I'll return to normal once I actually start some modelling of my own (tomorrow afternoon, assuming the tools I've ordered arrive). But I do want to be criticised openly so that the end result is as good as it can be...

Edit: and on the gauge/scale topic: I'm jumping straight into P4 you'll be happy to hear.

Edited by icn

I am a rivet counter!

I was on the Coalville Collier railtour back in the 80s and we were stuck for an hour or so beside a siding full of HAAs so I counted the rivets on the side of one and then on the end of another and then doubled it to get the grand total, I cant remember the exact number but it was well over a thousand.

• Like 4

We have a wealth of really good layouts and engine / rolling stock pictured on this site (and it would be unfair to single out any one or two contributors) so it is not surprising to me that we are all making comparisons between them; I also know that in doing so, I am made very aware of my own shortcomings. I honestly feel that such attention by you - fellow contributor - and me can only improve our individual modelling output as these images demonstrate "advanced" thinking that I, as a mear mortal, would have failed to include.

If that means I am turning into a rivet counter, I am glad to be tarred with that brush!