"Highland Sulzers" - Lochgorm Works, Inverness: Scale Seven

Indomitable026

And then some!

We'll you can't rush a good job - or a bad one

What I'm toying with is using a lot of the 'Diesels in the Duchy' equipment such as legs, subframe, lights and Fascias, etc. but the issue is, will I be able to catch the essence of the Inverness Lochgorm Works scene as this will be smaller than envisaged. 

out with the wallpaper backing paper me thinks

hmmmm

• 1 month later...

This is going to be a bad idea....

I've reached a job impasse on 'Diesels' with too many things drying at once. So with a little spare time thoughts have turned to some early works/ trials for the "Highland Sulzers" project.

I've been rebuilding an EM point on 'Diesels' and thought I would continue in a similar vain in the senior scale, as I feel fired up in all things track at present.

I'm going to do a step by step on a 1 in 8 Scale Seven point build. Don't get me wrong I'm no expert, there are many better track builders out there, but this will be as a minimum how I prefer to build points. Not forgetting that I've not built a point in this scale before.

So here goes

First up a sheet of glass. If you're not building direct on the base board use something flat to build on. Glass fits this bill. This is an old shelf with polished edges - i.e. not sharp.

post-8734-0-28437900-1377869324_thumb.jpg

Next stick down the template. This is a C&L 1 in 8. Use tape and stick round the edges keeping the plan taught and straight. Don't glue the paper down. This means once the point is finished you can cut around the edges and the point can be lifted as one whole. 

post-8734-0-60164600-1377869477_thumb.jpg

Look at the size of it ! (said the actress to the bishop). Its nearly two feet long

post-8734-0-95606000-1377869554_thumb.jpg

Next job - cut sleapers

• Like 3

Sleepers cut and PVA glue applied to template

post-8734-0-40805300-1377872339_thumb.jpg

Place sleepers in position, I've taped down a long ruler to position the sleepers against

post-8734-0-91650400-1377872389_thumb.jpg

Ply and bricks to ensure sleepers dry flat to glass..

post-8734-0-56681900-1377872629_thumb.jpg

And this is where a find a flaw in my plan. This job was a fill-in because I'm waiting for glue to dry on DitD!

dohh, here we are again.

There's only one thing to do in these situations - Pub !

• Like 1

Pub? Great idea - but before you go, my first stupid question - what are the sleepers made of? As mentioned on DitD my one & only attempt at point building used plywood, IIRC 1mm thick. What you're using looks like plastic?

Pub? Great idea - but before you go, my first stupid question - what are the sleepers made of? As mentioned on DitD my one & only attempt at point building used plywood, IIRC 1mm thick. What you're using looks like plastic?

Yes they are plastic, they're C&L sleepers, in fact all the components are.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/

Can I go now?

oh and it wasn't a stupid question. ask away, that's what this is about

Being that they are plastic you can use MEK / Butanone to stick the sleepers down to the paper and they are stuck instantly

You could also be making the crossing 

Don't spoil it, I'm off to the pub

Didn't know that MEK/ Butanone sticks to paper ! - nice one

• Like 1

Yep, off you go - have one for me too! I haven't really been taking much notice of making track since my last abortive effort. Plastic bits & glue seem a lot more pleasant than trying to solder rail to rivets pushed into plywood sleepers!

Ta for the info.

Yep, off you go - have one for me too! I haven't really been taking much notice of making track since my last abortive effort. Plastic bits & glue seem a lot more pleasant than trying to solder rail to rivets pushed into plywood sleepers!

Ta for the info.

Thanks I'm on my way.

Keep watching, you will see it's straight forward - bearing in mind you can buy all of the machined parts, such as the switches and crossings, already done for you

Right,

I've threaded the chairs on the straight stock rail

post-8734-0-17333800-1377939514_thumb.jpg

A few things to note;

• I've put a slight chamfer on the end of the rail with a file. This helps slide the chairs on.
  • I use a knife/ file to push the chairs along the rail - rather than my fingers
  • I've alternated the key positions on the chairs (Optional and always subject to a lot of debate)
  • The gap on the right is for the slide chairs
  • The gaps on the left are for the chairs that hold the adjacent check rail
  • I've positioned the chairs as per the plan

post-8734-0-42033100-1377939854_thumb.jpg

The chamfered rail and yes you can see what your doing in this scale

Note also on Bullhead rail bulky bit is the running surface at the top. Don't be tempted to put the heavy bit at the bottom 

• Like 1

Now using MEK to glue/ weld the outer two chairs and may be one in the middle ensuring they are dead in line with the plan.

post-8734-0-07119400-1377942010_thumb.jpg

Once they are dry you can offer a straight edge up to the side of the rail to ensure its straight and glue the rest of the chairs. The MEK is applied using a small paint brush.

post-8734-0-43396000-1377942287_thumb.jpg

Note; don't leave the top off the MEK!

1. you'll either knock it over
  2. or it will evaporate before you know it

post-8734-0-78089000-1377942405_thumb.jpg

I'm using C & L components on this point because I already had them, but I fully intend using the Exactoscale ones in the future because they have produced all of the different types of chair you find on a point (there's a lot). The C&L product only has two chair types; normal and slide chair. Exactoscale is available from C & L

• Like 1

Now thread the chairs on the common crossing. This is pre-made from C & L. Of course you can make these, people do and I have but I rather pay for the time saving these days. yes yes I know, I'm expecting a telling off now from Geoff Cook, who is a far better track builder than me - he did the Black Country Blues track.....

post-8734-0-56213300-1377947029_thumb.jpg

You won't get all the chairs on right in the 'V', but get as many on as you can in all corners to make sure it will sit down flat. You may have to cut the odd adjoining chair to allow them to fit

post-8734-0-21679900-1377947129_thumb.jpg

Half chairs will be added later to fill the gaps.

May be I forgot to mention the keys go on the outside of the rail - not the running edge. (This has been the norm for a long time although in the very early days some companies did it the other way round

• Like 2

Next, offer up the crossing assembly. It is positioned using the plan and roller gauges.

post-8734-0-55794800-1377948372_thumb.jpg

As before, once you're happy on the position glue down using MEK applied with the brush. You don't have to move anything to do this, just brush around and over there chairs - it draws its self in. Apply some pressure to the rail top to ensure the chairs are fully down.

post-8734-0-00375600-1377948397_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-98788800-1377948588_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-18751300-1377948423_thumb.jpg

This shot shows how the roller gauges work. the inner grooves are for locating the check and wing rails

• Like 1

Next the first switch - the curved one.

post-8734-0-34622400-1377952989_thumb.jpg

These are the slide chairs that switch ride on, I've installed a couple to ensure the switch rail sits at the right height.

post-8734-0-76574300-1377953092_thumb.jpg

I've threaded the conventional chairs on to the switch rail.

post-8734-0-49351400-1377953151_thumb.jpg

The clamp helps align the two rails

post-8734-0-56058400-1377953286_thumb.jpg

This whole lot is now glued down - only the conventional chairs, ensuring the switch sits correctly on the slide chairs

post-8734-0-09473100-1377953311_thumb.jpg

The curve of the switch will find its way naturally - being held by the clamp one end and resting against the stock rail at the other. Check that this corresponds with the plan below, if not adjust.

Allow to thoroughly dry before removing clamp 

• Like 2